Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,566 times

Advertisements

I may soon be moving to the KC Metro from Topeka, so I have been researching areas and suburbs to decide where we might want to live. One important characteristic I look for is quality of the schools. Now there are lots of ways to evaluate schools from sites like "Great Schools" which rank schools based on how well the entire student body does on standardized tests to comparing AP class offerings listed on individual school websites, etc.

Personally, I have really been impressed with the IB program and feel that schools that offer it will likely provide the kind of education I want to give my kids as they grow up. (AP classes are important to me, too, but that may be the subject of another post). I have done a lot of research lately that I thought I might share with those who use this site.

Much of the following info came from the IBO website.

The International Baccalaureate® (IB) is a non-profit educational foundation that offers high quality programs of international education to a worldwide community of schools. Their three programs for students aged 3 to 19 help develop the intellectual, personal, emotional and social skills to live, learn and work in a rapidly globalizing world.

The Primary Years Program for students aged 3 to 12 focuses on the development of the whole child in the classroom and in the world outside.
The Middle Years Program for students aged 11 to 16 provides a framework of academic challenge and life skills, achieved through embracing and transcending traditional school subjects.
The Diploma Program for students aged 16 to 19 is a demanding two-year curriculum leading to final examinations and a qualification that is welcomed by leading universities around the world.

Two things that make IB unique is:
  • They encourage international-mindedness in IB students. To do this, they believe that students must first develop an understanding of their own cultural and national identity. All IB students learn a second language and the skills to live and work with others internationally—essential for life in the 21st century.
  • They encourage a positive attitude to learning by encouraging students to ask challenging questions, to reflect critically, to develop research skills, and to learn how to learn. They encourage community service because they believe that there is more to learning than academic studies alone.
The following schools in the KC Metro area offer IB programs:

Missouri Side
Lee's Summit High School has been an IB World School since July 1987. It offers the IB Diploma Programme to 160 students. In the last examination session, students completed the following exams: Biology HL, Chemistry HL, English A1 HL, French B SL, German B SL, History HL, Math.Studies SL, Mathematics SL, Music SL, Psychology SL, Spanish B SL, Theory Knowl. TK, Visual Arts HL and Visual Arts SL.

Lee's Summit North High School has been an IB World School since September 1995. It offers the IB Diploma Programme. In the last examination session, students completed the following exams: Biology HL, Chemistry HL, English A1 HL, French B SL, German B SL, History HL, Math.Studies SL, Mathematics SL, Music HL, Music SL, Psychology SL, Spanish B SL, Theatre SL, Theory Knowl. TK, Visual Arts HL and Visual Arts SL.

Lee's Summit West High School has been an IB World School since July 2004. It offers the IB Diploma Programme. In the last examination session, students completed the following exams: Biology HL, Chemistry HL, English A1 HL, French B SL, German B SL, History HL, Information Technology in Global Society SL, Math.Studies SL, Mathematics SL, Music SL, Spanish B SL, Theory Knowl. TK, Visual Arts HL and Visual Arts SL.

Lincoln College Preparatory Academy (2111 Woodland Avenue, Kansas City, MO) has been an IB World School since September 1997. It offers the IB Middle Years Programme and IB Diploma Programme. The school is state funded. In the last examination session, students completed the following exams: Biology HL, Biology SL, Chemistry HL, Chemistry SL, English A1 HL, French B HL, History HL, Latin SL, Math.Studies SL, Music SL, Physics HL, Physics SL, Psychology SL, Spanish B HL, Spanish B SL, Theory Knowl. TK and Visual Arts SL.

North Kansas City High School has been an IB World School since July 2001. It offers the IB Diploma Programme to 61 students. In the last examination session, students completed the following exams: Biology HL, Biology SL, Chemistry HL, Chemistry SL, English A1 HL, French B HL, French B SL, German B SL, History HL, History SL, Math.Studies SL, Mathematics HL, Physics HL, Physics SL, Psychology HL, Psychology SL, Soc.Cul.Anth SL, Spanish B HL, Spanish B SL, Theatre HL, Theory Knowl. TK and Visual Arts HL.

Kansas Side
Shawnee Mission East High School has been an IB World School since January 1994. It offers the IB Diploma Programme. In the last examination session, students completed the following exams: Biology SL, Chemistry HL, Chemistry SL, Computer Sc. SL, English A1 HL, French B HL, French B SL, German B HL, German B SL, History HL, Latin HL, Latin SL, Mathematics HL, Mathematics SL, Music HL, Music SL, Physics HL, Physics SL, Psychology HL, Spanish B HL, Spanish B SL, Theatre HL, Theory Knowl. TK and Visual Arts HL.

Shawnee Mission Northwest HS has been an IB World School since February 2008. It offers the IB Diploma Programme. In the last examination session, students completed the following exams: Biology HL, Chemistry SL, English A1 HL, French B SL, German B SL, History HL, History SL, Information Technology in Global Society SL, Latin SL, Math.Studies SL, Mathematics HL, Mathematics SL, Music SL, Physics SL, Psychology HL, Psychology SL, Spanish B SL, Theory Knowl. TK, Visual Arts HL and Visual Arts SL.

Sumner Academy of Arts and Science (1610 N. 8th Street, Kansas City, KS) has been an IB World School since January 1987. It offers the IB Diploma Programme. In the last examination session, students completed the following exams: Biology HL, Biology SL, Chemistry HL, Chemistry SL, Economics SL, English A1 HL, French B HL, French B SL, History HL, History SL, Math.Studies SL, Mathematics HL, Mathematics SL, Physics HL, Physics SL, Psychology SL, Spanish B HL, Spanish B SL, Theory Knowl. TK, Visual Arts HL and Visual Arts SL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:43 PM

36 posts, read 114,584 times
I think it would be difficult to find a better public school district then Lee's Summit..

Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,769 times
Now that you've read all of the IB propaganda, take some time and learn the Truth About IB.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:47 AM

476 posts, read 1,315,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Now that you've read all of the IB propaganda, take some time and learn the Truth About IB.
This is a joke, right?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Absolutely not. Please read about action being taken by parents around the country to remove IB from their public schools.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,564 times
It seems like original post was more of an advertisement than someone actually moving to the area.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 AM

The Truth About IB website is for informational purposes, you will find no advertisements or profit being made off the site. The information provided is applicable to IB schools ANYWHERE in the United States.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:11 AM

822 posts, read 2,046,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It seems like original post was more of an advertisement than someone actually moving to the area.
Exactly.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 AM

I agree. In fact, the information reported in the OP is taken directly from the IBO website and not necessarily accurate. In my own district, IBO reported that exams had been given in IB Further Math, allegedly the most difficult IB Math course available. When I checked with the school, it turns out they never ran the course, ergo, no examinations could have been administered.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:57 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,566 times
Please note where I, the original poster, live. Topeka, KS. My wife's family is from Raytown, MO. I was seriously considering moving to the Kansas City Metro area, and had applied for some federal jobs there. I did not end up getting one, so I am staying in Topeka for the present.

I still really like Lee's Summit, and will likely move there if I do eventually get a job in the area. I thoroughly researched the schools in the Metro. I found out that some schools were offering the IB program, which I am impressed with. I thought that I would be helpful and nice and share that info with those on this forum who might also find the info useful. My post is not an advertisement. Really, what product would I be selling and how would I profit from anyone acting on the info I shared?

Read my other posts on the Kansas City area, (or Topeka or Hutchinson for that matter) and see that I am not advertising anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City