Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The most popular sports team in the world is going to be playing our very own Wizards at Arrowhead on Sunday, July 25th when Manchester United comes to town.

Tickets go on sale May 15th.

Sweet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 10:34 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
This is huge for KC. I honestly didn't think KC would still land soccer events like this after Lamar's passing.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
This is huge for KC. I honestly didn't think KC would still land soccer events like this after Lamar's passing.
I think Clark is an even bigger soccer fan than his old man. He played in college and has been linked to a few rumors regarding purchasing a European soccer team.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Why? OnGoal has shown they are going to be just as good, if not better, then Lamar was at growing soccer in KC.

Lamar was never able to get a soccer stadium built in KC and OnGoal is.

Last year, OnGoal brought in Chivas and Club America to play a friendly at Arrowhead that brought in over 30K fans.

Once the stadium opens, events like this will be annual.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
I think Clark is an even bigger soccer fan than his old man. He played in college and has been linked to a few rumors regarding purchasing a European soccer team.

Clark only cares about this event because it gives him an opportunity to show off the new stadium before the NFL season.

Clark owns 2 MLS teams and runs them like crap. Dallas is in the worst shape of any team in the league.

Clark cares about money and money only. I feel sorry for any European team that he purchases.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
So Clark no longer has anything to do with the Wizards right?, other than a good relationship with the new owners, which helps land events at Arrowhead? I know OnGoal is a solid group and I think they will turn the Wizards into one of the league's premier franchises with the new stadium. I just always thought Lamar had a lot of world soccer pull for some reason. It's kind of cool how the Cerner folks happen to be huge soccer people. I wish KC has some similar people to take over the Royals.

I really sucks I will miss this game. I will be in town the following week. I went to that world cup qualifier? USA game at Arrowhead and it was one of the most amazing sporting events I have ever been too.

This KC vs Manchester should be even more entertaining. Hope KC sells at least 50k tickets as the new stadium will shine on national tv. It will be on national tv right?

Will Arrowhead be finished by then? I know KC has the first Monday night game as well. I assume to show off the stadium.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 AM

A few tidbits:

The Power and Light District is hosting watch parties for all 64 World Cup games including the opening game tomorrow at 9AM. Good showings at these games could help Kansas City's bid to host World Cup matches in 2022.

The US plays England Saturday at 1:30. It is one of the biggest games in US Soccer history and the watch party at Power and Light is set to be one of the biggest in the Midwest.

The Big 12 is falling apart and this is a sad thing for KC. Our city has been the heart and soul of that conference for over 60 years and it could all be a thing of the past in the next few days. Nebraska and Colorado are gone. KSU, KU, and MU could all be left out in the cold without a conference soon.

The Wizards host the expansion Philadelphia Union tonight at the CAB and are looking to snap a long winless streak.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM

Really sucks for KC since we're going to lose those tourney games. Hopefully KU, KSU and Mizzou stick together in some new conference and KC can get an occasional tourney in whatever conference they land in.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:30 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,124 times
If they get split up, big deal. They can still play one another as non-conference opponents.

This sports thing has gotten completely out of hand. With all the payments-under-the-table and ticket scandals, I have lost what little interest I had in college sports.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:24 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
If they get split up, big deal. They can still play one another as non-conference opponents.

This sports thing has gotten completely out of hand. With all the payments-under-the-table and ticket scandals, I have lost what little interest I had in college sports.
I understand what you mean.
There's a part of me that's fascinated by all this shakeup business, but then I realize it doesn't matter. I love sports but it's just sports and colleges should concentrate a whole lot more on teaching these kids how to take care of themselves when that career-ending injury comes along.
I have no respect for schools that allow and even encourage a young man to be in college for just one year till he goes on to the NBA. They say that their job is to provide the opportunity for people to go on into some sort of career and if it takes just the one year, then that's great. Cop-out.
I say they're opportunistic and want the glory for themselves and don't care or know how to care about the real plight of these young people. Didn't a news story come out recently stating the large numbers of bankrupt former NBA (or some sort of big-league) players? I see that and think: should have stayed the full four years and at least learned some budget planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City