Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,553 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have 2 children (ages 1 & 3). We are thinking about moving to downtown KC in a year or so. I know the school district isn't good, but we're talking charters and private schools.

Our plan is live in a loft. My husband can walk to work and the kids and I will be close to everything. I love urban living, I love downtown, I love the thought of it. But are there any families there? Is it all young professionals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 01:39 PM

476 posts, read 1,318,638 times
No, there's not many families. Most of the housing is either too small, or not priced well enough for a family to live in unfortunately. If you want to be close to downtown with a family, I'd recommend living in Hyde Park, or across the river in north Kansas City. Columbus Park is much more affordable, although its a bit grittier, but I think its an up and coming neighborhood.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
So few people with families opt to stay in KCMO for the long-term if they have school aged kids because of the school situation, unfortunately. I do have a few acquaintances who chose to raise kids in the city and make enough for private schooling, but many more of the people I know with kids end up going the suburban route, ultimately. When I worked downtown, I rarely saw families there on the average day.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:51 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,873,526 times
Don't know how many families live there, but I say go for it since you're willing. Be a pioneer. It's morphed into a full-fledged neighborhood once again, and not a bad one at that.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:09 PM

6,834 posts, read 11,583,309 times
Call me suburban, but where are these kids going to play?

Old 03-21-2010, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,553 times
West Terrace Park is the first place that comes to mind. We can always get in the car and drive to Loose Park also.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
There are parks around City Market as well; I've gone to open air movie nights in them.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:43 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,873,526 times
North Kansas City has some really nice parks as well.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:02 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,357,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Call me suburban, but where are these kids going to play?
There are kids that grow up all around the world in cities and turn out just fine not being exposed to suburbia...or if you want to stick with the US, look at the number of kids that grow up and are successful coming from NYC.

Side note on schools. Downtown Des Moines has a charter school that is very highly regarded. So much so, that it requires a person to put their child on the waiting list the minute they are born (to assure a spot when they turn school-age). Does KC possibly have something like this? Des Moines public schools in general are less regarded than the suburbs (which causes some problems with "flight"), but this charter school as been an extremely popular option. It is highly popular with those in the downtown workforce that have school age children (whether or not they live downtown or nearby). BTW...not many families live downtown DM for the same reasons most cities (even small one's like DM) struggle with this option -- affordable housing.

Here's a link on the downtown school (for some reason, you have to scroll a bit to find the story) : http://www.livingdowntowndesmoines.c...wn-des-moines/

Bottom-line -- is it possible KC has a nearby charter school(s) that maybe getting lost in the shuffle of this discussion? Often times I find that people on these forums don't have children, so they're not always aware of issues (like schools) that ARE a big deciding factor for those of us with kids. I hate to see people miss out on the urban experience if that is what they truly desire. That said, kids aren't guinea pigs" to be thrown into sub-par schools in the HOPES to make a difference. You really don't get a "do over" with kids.

If DM has something like this to offer, I have to believe KC does as well

Last edited by capitalcityguy; 03-21-2010 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 PM

448 posts, read 1,461,003 times
I do know of a few families who live downtown that send their children to Academie Lafayette. If I was to live downtown with my children I would look at Union Hill. I don't know if you consider that downtown, but many of the homes have yards, you are close to Crown Center, a park off Gillham, and all that downtown has to offer. I am often down that way right before rush hour and the traffic is not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City