Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:26 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,504,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Here's the deal about the suburbs you despise--a lot of people would prefer to not be packed in, twelve houses to a city block, with a park somewhere near. They prefer to do their 'park' thing in their own backyard, which is not so small that you can reach out your window and shake your neighbor's hand.
Yeah, that was my point. Maybe it's a Midwestern thing? Suburban sprawl seems to be what the majority of people want, at least around here.

I agree that KS doesn't have as much conservation land as other states do. But I'm not convinced that they "should" have more (maybe, maybe not) and I can understand why it's not a top priority. The two things that drive KS are agriculture and corporate suburbs.

Besides, as we hear so often from our neighbors, KS can't compete when it comes to recreational activities. We don't have the lakes that MO does, we don't have the mountains of CO. So it just seems to me that we do the best with what we have.

Last edited by Samantha S; 05-13-2010 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is a good point, but still leads to an unbelievably inefficient and wasteful suburban landuse development pattern that is common throughout the metro and many other metros. The larger lot sizes actually lead to subdivisions covering a greater land footprint than necessary which allows for less opportunities for large-scale land conservation and parks. The rural landowners often sellout to developers for top dollar leading to more sprawl as they want their $$$, but are also greedy.
Yeah, it is pretty greedy to sell land off because it is impossible to keep through estate taxes or necessary to fund college for children or retirement security in older age.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Yeah, that was my point. Maybe it's a Midwestern thing? Suburban sprawl seems to be what the majority of people want, at least around here.

I agree that KS doesn't have as much conservation land as other states do. But I'm not convinced that they "should" have more (maybe, maybe not) and I can understand why it's not a top priority. The two things that drive KS are agriculture and corporate suburbs.

Besides, as we hear so often from our neighbors, KS can't compete when it comes to recreational activities. We don't have the lakes that MO does, we don't have the mountains of CO. So it just seems to me that we do the best with what we have.
Kansas doesn't have the funding structure in their state constitution for conservation lands and maint. as does Missouri. Missouri is unique in that 1/8th of a percent of sales tax is placed into a dedicated fund for Conservation and has been since 1976. Conservation lands and outdoor education are true jewels of Missouri. It is a shame so few take good advantage of what Mo Dept. of Conservation has to offer.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,389,369 times
Quote:
You, on the other hand, would give your land away, if you owned any, because you're not greedy?

Here's the deal about the suburbs you despise--a lot of people would prefer to not be packed in, twelve houses to a city block, with a park somewhere near. They prefer to do their 'park' thing in their own backyard, which is not so small that you can reach out your window and shake your neighbor's hand.
Exactly.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:48 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Precisely - and I would venture to say that it is more than a lot of people - it is most people that would prefer to have some elbow room around them and green space of their own that they control. Suburbs grew as they did simply because so many saw a clearly superior quality of life.

Nothing has changed expect for the political climate, where it has become very trendy and hip of late to bash suburban life and "sprawl". But the fact is that the "problems" at the root of all the hand-wringing are products of the imagination of those with an altogether different agenda than yours or mine.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:18 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
But back to the topic.

Based on my memory of living in Johnson county as I did from 1979-1990, the weather is the first thing that comes to my mind as a factor for making the "fattest cities" list - if that really is the case. By that I mean that the summers are so oppressive that you spend most of them indoors in air conditioned comfort.

Those summers are the only thing that would give me a moment of pause about the idea of returning some day. Otherwise I really enjoyed my years living there.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 AM

476 posts, read 1,316,721 times
Quote:
You, on the other hand, would give your land away, if you owned any, because you're not greedy?

Right. I'm all for different strokes for different folks. We need more diversity in how our communities are designed. We currently have far too much of the cookie-cutter suburban lay-out, and we are lacking on more denser, smaller-lot areas that others may prefer.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
Right. I'm all for different strokes for different folks. We need more diversity in how our communities are designed. We currently have far too much of the cookie-cutter suburban lay-out, and we are lacking on more denser, smaller-lot areas that others may prefer.
It seems odd that with your philosphy you would have chosen Prairie Village as your residence. Why didn't you choose Brookside, Ronoake, Valentine, Midtown, or, Union Hill if that is what you wanted? I you have to stay in KS there are a number of KCKS neigborhods that fit the bill as well.

Seems folks pick areas to live because of the good schools, good sidewalks, parking, proximity to parks, lower crime and then complain that it doesn't have a more "urban feel". So if you want diversity and urban why not live there to begin with rather than to complain about living in an area that people seek out for exactly what it is?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
But back to the topic.

Based on my memory of living in Johnson county as I did from 1979-1990, the weather is the first thing that comes to my mind as a factor for making the "fattest cities" list - if that really is the case. By that I mean that the summers are so oppressive that you spend most of them indoors in air conditioned comfort.

Those summers are the only thing that would give me a moment of pause about the idea of returning some day. Otherwise I really enjoyed my years living there.
Addressing the underlined portion. Again, that is a lifestyle choice. Those who tend to enjoy outdoor activities are not stifled by the humidity and heat. They seek out early morning activities of golf, cycling, etc... or those around lakes and pools, or evening softball, baseball or soccer leagues.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,504,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Seems folks pick areas to live because of the good schools, good sidewalks, parking, proximity to parks, lower crime and then complain that it doesn't have a more "urban feel". So if you want diversity and urban why not live there to begin with rather than to complain about living in an area that people seek out for exactly what it is?
I was thinking this exact thing!

I love the posts that essentially say, "You know, <this area> would be great if only it were more like <that area over there>."

It reminds me of women who stay with men they are hoping to change. "He would be perfect! If only he <blah blah blah> was a completely different person!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City