Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:52 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times

Advertisements

I much prefer small lots as well. The only time a LARGE LOT is of use is if you live in the country on a working farm or in the woods when you want privacy between any neighbors. I just can't understand why someone would pay over 300K for a house in a cul-de-sac or higher density neighborhood with hardly any privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I much prefer small lots as well. The only time a LARGE LOT is of use is if you live in the country on a working farm or in the woods when you want privacy between any neighbors. I just can't understand why someone would pay over 300K for a house in a cul-de-sac or higher density neighborhood with hardly any privacy.
We did... it's all about location. And even though the house next door is only 10' away, I feel that I have the privacy I need. Plus I love all my neighbors! I like being able to sit on the front porch in the evening and have conversations with passers-by since the front porch is only about 12' from the sidewalk. Some people don't want to see another human being from their house or interact with neighbors. I prefer people being around and the high density of our neighborhood. Plus I can mow all my grass in 10 minutes, and I'm on a corner lot!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:12 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We did... it's all about location. And even though the house next door is only 10' away, I feel that I have the privacy I need. Plus I love all my neighbors! I like being able to sit on the front porch in the evening and have conversations with passers-by since the front porch is only about 12' from the sidewalk. Some people don't want to see another human being from their house or interact with neighbors. I prefer people being around and the high density of our neighborhood. Plus I can mow all my grass in 10 minutes, and I'm on a corner lot!
Yes, I like higher density as well, but don't care for cul-de-sacs. I can do spendy, but it has to have nearby amenities within walkable distance or a short drive.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 AM

62 posts, read 130,141 times
Default Overweight midwest quote .

Lets reverse the situation. I took our company secretary from St Louis to Scarborough, Queensland Australia. We were sourcing material for our Missouri Corporation.
We visited a small fishing village near Scarborough. The fishing boats came in, the fish were cleaned and passed through a wall to the iced display cases for sale.
The locals would line up to buy these very fresh fish, take them home or have the fish cooked to eat under the nearby tree's.
My Missouri partner asked, " do you notice the difference between this line of customers and a line in Missouri, I shook my head.
He simply said, the Aussies have calf muscles, in Missouri the kids are raised without calf muscles. They rarely walk, run or get off the sofa. I looked, thought and realised he was right.
Aussie kids have a great climate with 80% of the population being raised on the coast, the beach, plenty of swimming and year round sport.
Have a good look at the average Missouri leg below the knee ! Very little muscle, calfs almost zero.........legs are not exercised the way our fore fathers had to work their legs

Old 06-13-2010, 03:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
The people I see running on the Trolley Track Trail all seem to have intact calf muscles.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:02 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,483 times
An inescapable fact is that some city had to end up as "the fattest." What's it supposed to do with this information, slim itself until some other city is now "the fattest?"

It's all a relative measure, such as:
Which city is "the fattest" in Somalia?
Which Blue Angels pilot is "the worst?"
Which billionaire is "the poorest?"

Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,565,836 times
In today's St Louis Post Dispatch there is an article about the 50-mile mountain bike trail development that's underway in KC:
KC is building mountain bike heaven: 50-mile trail system - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/missouristatenews/story/0FF339EE652F640D8625774900073AE9?OpenDocument - broken link)
Sounds like a fantastic plan! It will help preserve green space as well as provide a source of recreation and exercise for area residents.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
In today's St Louis Post Dispatch there is an article about the 50-mile mountain bike trail development that's underway in KC:
KC is building mountain bike heaven: 50-mile trail system - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/missouristatenews/story/0FF339EE652F640D8625774900073AE9?OpenDocument - broken link)
Sounds like a fantastic plan! It will help preserve green space as well as provide a source of recreation and exercise for area residents.
Mountain biking with no mountains.

Ingenious.

Absolutely.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:39 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Mountain biking with no mountains.

Ingenious.

Absolutely.
They probably mean this:
ERTA - Earn Your Dirt!
http://www.earthriders.org/images/st.../showcase7.jpg
and this:
http://www.earthriders.org/images/st.../showcase5.jpg

Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
Thanks!
Makes a little more sense.
I worked with a guy locally that had seen the bicycles in the back of my car and said, "I don't ride anything without a motor." That pretty much sums up what I observe the attitude to be around here among the majority of people. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City