Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,744 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for work for the last two years. They say recession is over BS then where are the jobs? I think that the Government should continue to pay us that don't get unemployment after we used up all tiers. If they don't we will start to losing our stuff like homes, cars, etc. Government we need help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 12:36 PM

71 posts, read 242,524 times
www.nationjob.com/manhattan
www.kansasworks.com

Old 05-26-2011, 12:42 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,918,995 times
There are lots of jobs out there. They may not be the jobs you want, but if you're willing to bend a little, you shouldn't have any trouble getting work.

Unemployment wasn't meant to be a long term form of welfare.

You have a computer. Sell stuff on Ebay. Write a blog and sell adverting space (Google Ad Sense). Be creative.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,668,555 times
Not to sound mean, but I work as a job counselor. I deal with people who are elderly or have criminal records and they are able to find jobs. I dont know if your waiting on something comparable to what you were laid off from, but if thats the case you may never get a job again. Look for something in a different field, and if it means a pay drop then so be it. Unemployment wasnt designed to support you the rest of your life

Old 05-26-2011, 01:58 PM

25,986 posts, read 22,181,380 times
I'm wondering where you are located. Unemployment is low in Bourbon County and in Kansas. They had a job fair this week and were looking to fill at least 20 jobs: Wal-Mart, Peerless (manufacturing), Nevada (MO) Hab Center (working with people with disabilities and many cities need employees like this), elder care is another field that is usually hiring. My husband has just taken something part-time with Wal-Mart because he can't get into his chosen field which pays 3 or 4 times more and so have a lot of people here taken jobs that pay much less - it is called a good work ethic. There is a point where unemployment became welfare for the wealthy since they did not have to exhaust their bank accounts to live while criteria for those with low incomes force them to spend down assets in order to qualify for even food stamps in KS. My suggestion is get up tomorrow morning at 6:00, shower, put on decent clothes and decide you are going out to find a job - apply everywhere that will take an application and ask how long they will keep your application on file and make a note of that and go back every week to check on any possible openings to show your interest and tell everyone you know that you are looking for work, any kind of work and ask that they let you know if they hear anything. Also, stay in contact with your Chamber of Commerce because they often hear if someone is looking since some do not advertise because of the number of applicants that they are swamped with. I'm one of those that if you don't work, you don't eat sort of people anyway!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,975,057 times
Maybe it would be more productive for the OP to give the area of Kansas he is seeking employment and the type of employment he is qualified and or willing to take?

Old 05-30-2011, 12:24 PM

56 posts, read 138,723 times
To the OP, I had no work for two years, and I got zero unemployment compensation because I have been self-employed for a while. Personally, I don't think the government should have to continuously pay you while you're not working. That's welfare. I ended up getting a part-time job. It's not great, but it's better than nothing.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:53 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,853,374 times
The Government doesn't owe you a living dude. There are plenty of jobs available, but you have to be employable, and you have to be willing to work.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
The government can't afford to pay their own bills. Unemployment is payout on insurance that the employers are paying for in the form of employment taxes all the time. Like any insurance it's not meant to last forever, only long enough for people to get another job. Unfortunately in these time that may take longer, and people may have to settle for something they don't really like to get by until something better comes along. When I was struggling I took a job as a substitute custodian at the school district for $14/hour and after the training but before the first day, got hired at a real job I had applied for so I lucked out. I was never on unemployment, since I was self-employed before that and that was a terrible year.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:35 AM

536 posts, read 1,540,303 times
I was unemployed for 2 and half years. Decided to go to school (Carpentry) while taking care of my small children at home...then the school closed out the major and I switched to Machining Technology and graduated at the same time the recession hit and I was competing with 45k laid off machinists with more experience..ended up the Kansas Workforce paid me to go back to school and I got a 2nd certificate in Composite Technology only to find out there is a very small demand in this field here in Wichita (there is more demand out there but not here) and for the openings..they paid very low so I decided to keep on looking. Ended up working for a company called Center Industries (they have approximately 75% disabled workforce) as a press brake operator (I didn't go to school for this!) then after 90 days, I was transferred to the CNC department and that's where I've been working ever since as a cnc machinist only to find out that I have nerve damage (I had been starting to look around for a company that paid more per hour since CI is a non-profit corporation and pays low hourly) in my hands and arms..may have to quit that specific job and do something else. Will find out on Monday. My point is....if you don't have any job skills...you're not gonna find work...if you're a druggie or alcoholic, you're not gonna find work....if you have schooling, you'll more than likely get a job but you may have to really stretch out and change what jobs you've had in the past to adapt to the new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas