Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 36,151 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Was curious if anyone can tell me a round-a-bout price of registering-license tags fee's in Kansas??? Will be relocating to Topeka in a few weeks was curious - here in Wa State it's like $50-$60 for tags and renewal each year.

Thanks!!!

WeeMan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 09:47 PM

31 posts, read 109,830 times
We have vehicles in the family ranging from a 1998 Ford Ranger which was $73 to a 2006 Mazda Tribute which was $193 for tag renewal this year, so it's considerably higher here, sorry.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Tag fees are based on the value of the vehicle, so be prepared for sticker shock if youhave a newer car or truck. We moved here from Chicago, where we paid a flat $78 fee regardless of the value of the vehicle, so we about fell on the floor when we registered here. Sometimes I wonder if the pricing policy affects new car sales. I know I'm going to hang onto my 2001 Jeep until it dies, partially because a new one would cost hundreds more in tag fees.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:42 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
In Kansas, it also depends on which county you live in as to the amount of tax you pay - it is not the cost of the tag/registration but of the personal property tax.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:20 AM

321 posts, read 1,213,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
In Kansas, it also depends on which county you live in as to the amount of tax you pay - it is not the cost of the tag/registration but of the personal property tax.
...because Kansas taxes it's residents out the wazoo! You may be able to call the Shawnee County treasurer's office to get a ballpark figure. The link to their site is here...----> Home · Treasurer (Shawnee County, Kansas) Good luck to you. Hopefully, the cost of living is substantially lower than Washington, that it would be a fair trade-off.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:48 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,124 times
Kansas car tags and personal property taxes on autos are high but not nearly as high as they used to be. I remember in '89 spending about $600 to tag a $13K vehicle.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:38 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
I just moved from rural, western Nebraska to rural, western Kansas this summer. (Ie, we're not talking about the populated counties in either case)

My '03 Focus with 110K on it was $136!!

I told the gal in the Treasurer's office that that was pretty high, wasn't it??
Last year, my car was a year newer with 30K fewer miles and I registered for about $60.

She told me part of the cost was the transfer fee from another state. Next year it would only be $110.
I said, "Is that good?!"

She also told me that part of my fee was that I registered in August. I'm a "P" (last name) and Kansas does it alphabetically.
I asked, "Does what alphabetically???"

Registrations.
Apparently the letter "P" is supposed to register in September. Every vehicle you own has to be done in the same month. We have three!

Our 13 year old pickup with 225K on it is going to be $75! ($30 last year)
__________________________________________________ _________

I now understand why our property taxes can be so much lower than in Nebraska. It's because Kansas will hook you everywhere else!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:52 PM

425 posts, read 1,954,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Tag fees are based on the value of the vehicle, so be prepared for sticker shock if youhave a newer car or truck. We moved here from Chicago, where we paid a flat $78 fee regardless of the value of the vehicle, so we about fell on the floor when we registered here. Sometimes I wonder if the pricing policy affects new car sales. I know I'm going to hang onto my 2001 Jeep until it dies, partially because a new one would cost hundreds more in tag fees.
Lucky! When I lived in Chicago, I paid close to $250 to register my car. It was cheaper to register my car in California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas