Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 PM

125 posts, read 351,737 times

Advertisements

First of all, much thanks to everyone who's posted (and to the OP) since that's exactly the kind of info I was also looking for! If y'all don't mind, I've also got a coupla Lawrence questions:

Heard it was full of strip clubs, dive bars, etc. from someone who used to live around the KC metro area and was just not a good place, but every post on this thread seems to have disproved this, so just wondering if he just had an axe to grind or if he just wasn't tuned in to what it really was?

Also wondering about the commute to KC or Topeka - during rush hour and a snowstorm (I used to live a bit south of Kansas, so I know what kind of snow comes down there ), how bad would a commute from Lawrence to KC or Topeka be? During regular rush hour, how bad would it be? Trying to find a place with affordable housing (less than $250K for 2BR/2BA) and less than an hour driving commute to work, so thinking Lawrence might work, but just don't have all the facts yet. We've thought about Lawrence for a while, but few IT jobs means I'd have to commute a ways to my job and I just don't wanna be driving forever each day... Thanks tons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 09:48 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
First of all, much thanks to everyone who's posted (and to the OP) since that's exactly the kind of info I was also looking for! If y'all don't mind, I've also got a coupla Lawrence questions:

Heard it was full of strip clubs, dive bars, etc. from someone who used to live around the KC metro area and was just not a good place, but every post on this thread seems to have disproved this, so just wondering if he just had an axe to grind or if he just wasn't tuned in to what it really was?

Also wondering about the commute to KC or Topeka - during rush hour and a snowstorm (I used to live a bit south of Kansas, so I know what kind of snow comes down there ), how bad would a commute from Lawrence to KC or Topeka be? During regular rush hour, how bad would it be? Trying to find a place with affordable housing (less than $250K for 2BR/2BA) and less than an hour driving commute to work, so thinking Lawrence might work, but just don't have all the facts yet. We've thought about Lawrence for a while, but few IT jobs means I'd have to commute a ways to my job and I just don't wanna be driving forever each day... Thanks tons!
Lawrence would be about a 30-45 minute commute both to Topeka and the KC metro. The I-70 Turnpike leads to Topeka, and you can get to the KC metro by using K-10 or I-70. I would not worry about commute times during snow because it does not seem like we get much anymore. I think you should find something you are looking for in Lawrence based on the price range. It is still a buyer's market. I would avoid the newer cookie cutter houses because the quality of construction is not the best. Lawrence has a lot of older tree-line neighborhoods as well. The areas where most of the students live are located mainly east and north of the University. There are apartments in many areas of the city as well as the west side of town. If prices are too high in Lawrence Eudora and Baldwin City are both smaller towns in Douglas County that are pretty good. Some people live in these two towns and commute to KC or Lawrence.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 AM

20 posts, read 116,377 times
Well, three years later, and several trips to Lawrence, and it is possible we are going to be making the move. A few more questions.

We want to rent at first. Not finding an abundance of online rental searches that show houses. Most seem to show apartments. Any ideas? I have thought about contacting a local Remax realtor.

Any T-Mobile users out there? Does there "4G" service work well there?

Elementary schools. East side v West side. Scoop please.

Thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas