Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:05 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times

Advertisements

AnywhereElse,

I sincerely hope the best for you in finding a great facility and great people to work with your son. Good luck in finding a community where you will be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 07:37 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Modron: It is about my choice, based on my experiences and the fact that I am talking about my son. I live in a place where the moral values seem to be missing whether they claim to be a Christian or not so I understand about both sides of the coin in this issue. An incident happened, I saw it with my son and everyone up to the level of the State, thus looking outside of KS, said it did not happen because they are a bunch of liars that chose that which is easiest. After I pulled my son out, I learned about the sexual abuse/exploitation that was going on by a group of males and asked my son what he might have seen and he gave me basic info to say he saw or experienced things he should not have. Everyone ignores what goes on because it might appear they are discriminating against of group of people. Adult Protective Services is a joke and I am working with an advocate from the governor's office trying to figure out how to get them to pull their heads out of their butts! In working with SRS, I have learned what a sorry system it is and hope that with the election of Governor Brownback that we will see some needed changes.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:23 PM

266 posts, read 832,087 times
Governor Brownback who is cutting state funding for special education at the cost of millions more in federal dollars is going to improve care for people with disabilities? Good luck with that.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Kind of what I was thinking.
If you're in need of social services of whatever kind, you generally DON'T vote Republican...

Old 02-21-2011, 11:55 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Modron: It's not about funding in our case but about accountability by those being paid to do a job and truthfully from what I have seen, a lot of tax dollars are not being wisely spent. Throwing money at a program does not necessarily improve it. Any program and any service can only be as good as the people involved thus my conquest to find a "people" rather than a program or service.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 PM

266 posts, read 832,087 times
AnywhereElse, I hope you find what you are looking for - even if they are a bunch of Buddhists. Heaven forbid.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:26 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Throwing money at a program does not necessarily improve it.
Very true.
But cutting funding almost always makes things worse.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 AM

792 posts, read 1,176,788 times
I lived in McPherson for 20 years. Nice, clean town. I lived in Hastings, NE for 5 years and I loved it. I became a Christian while living there and liked the good old corn-fed morals that most seem to have. The thing to watch out for are towns that have construction going on as in building corn plants, etc. For the most part these plants bring in men (and women) that live in motels and/or the bars. Lots of drug stuff is brought in by them as they're bored staying in motels most of the time.
I'm not saying this is the case for all places, but from first hand experience living this lifestyle that is the down side.
The up side is that once I became a Christian, becoming a child of God my whole life changed. Including the people I hung out with.
I've traveled working construction and lived in a lot of places but people in Nebraska are more down-home and friendlier than other places I have lived.

As far as traditional values go- You won't find them as quickly as you used to. The courts have changed the rules on what is traditional and what's not.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I lived in McPherson for 20 years. Nice, clean town. I lived in Hastings, NE for 5 years and I loved it. I became a Christian while living there and liked the good old corn-fed morals that most seem to have. The thing to watch out for are towns that have construction going on as in building corn plants, etc. For the most part these plants bring in men (and women) that live in motels and/or the bars. Lots of drug stuff is brought in by them as they're bored staying in motels most of the time.
I'm not saying this is the case for all places, but from first hand experience living this lifestyle that is the down side.
The up side is that once I became a Christian, becoming a child of God my whole life changed. Including the people I hung out with.
I've traveled working construction and lived in a lot of places but people in Nebraska are more down-home and friendlier than other places I have lived.

As far as traditional values go- You won't find them as quickly as you used to. The courts have changed the rules on what is traditional and what's not.

I believe the terms "traditional values", "American values" and "midwest values" are all open to interpretation. Personally, I see "traditional values" and I think back to a day in the mid-20th century when women wore white gloves to go grocery shopping and restaurant lunch counters were segregated. Some of those traditions are best left in the past, IMO. The courts have not changed any rules on what is traditional. They have deemed many of those traditions unConstitutional, and by the way, I am also a Christian.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,788 times
Very true, TinaMcG. I guess when I see the words "traditional values" I think of Christian values. Some traditions are pagan so it's like you said, some are best left in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas