Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:50 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times

Advertisements

How prevalent is the southern accent in Kansas? Would you say a typical Kansas "native" would have a slight twang to their voice or no? Is it more prevalent in southeastern KS? I've always been curious of this...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 12:17 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Yes, the closer you get to the Oklahoma border. The bigger cities in NE Kansas like Topeka, Lawrence, KC metro, will have a very muted southern influence to their speech. It is more southern than the Midwest core northward obviously. Someone from central or northern Iowa northward will likely think that most Kansans have somewhat of a drawl.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 28,879 times
It's called a Flatlander accent. I'm told it sounds southern, if you are from the Northeast, say PA, IA, OH. I haven't really noticed it in myself but I'm told by some that Kansans do sound 'southern'.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_djv View Post
It's called a Flatlander accent. I'm told it sounds southern, if you are from the Northeast, say PA, IA, OH. I haven't really noticed it in myself but I'm told by some that Kansans do sound 'southern'.
Compare an average person from Iowa to that of Kansas and you will notice a difference in speech patterns. OH is the Midwest, not even close to being the Northeast. Eastern KS is at the southwest periphery of the Midwest.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:41 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
I moved to Wichita from OKC. I notice the southern accent is a lot less. Even in the smaller communities with farmers. The accent isn't near as strong as OKlahoma.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:52 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
I wouldn't describe Kansas accents as southern drawls, certainly not like people I know from Mississippi or North Carolina. It's a slight twang. My mom grew up in Sumner County (which borders Oklahoma), so her accent is more in line with Oklahoma and Texas than people in the Kansas City area.

Speech patterns from Nebraska and Iowa more closely resemble Minnesotans to my ears. I lived in Minnesota for a while. People from Minnesota thought my "neutral" Kansas accent was southern, though.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I wouldn't describe Kansas accents as southern drawls, certainly not like people I know from Mississippi or North Carolina. It's a slight twang. My mom grew up in Sumner County (which borders Oklahoma), so her accent is more in line with Oklahoma and Texas than people in the Kansas City area.

Speech patterns from Nebraska and Iowa more closely resemble Minnesotans to my ears. I lived in Minnesota for a while. People from Minnesota thought my "neutral" Kansas accent was southern, though.
We all have accents of one sort or another, though. However, based on a wide sampling of people I have heard I would say Omaha is closer to neutral accent wise than Kansas City.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
We all have accents of one sort or another, though. However, based on a wide sampling of people I have heard I would say Omaha is closer to neutral accent wise than Kansas City.
Having lived in both metros, I would agree with this.

In Johnson county there were lots of "neutral" accents, of course, I think largely because many were transplants from other areas or their parents were. But my experience was that the speech of multi-generational KC area natives definitely has a southern influence. Not strong enough in most cases to call it a drawl....more like a "country" sound.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Having lived in both metros, I would agree with this.

In Johnson county there were lots of "neutral" accents, of course, I think largely because many were transplants from other areas or their parents were. But my experience was that the speech of multi-generational KC area natives definitely has a southern influence. Not strong enough in most cases to call it a drawl....more like a "country" sound.
Being raised outside the area and sharing time between Kansas and the southwest, I find the accent very obvious to my ears. I have even had a few people tell me while speaking with a very pronounced southern style accent that native Kansans are known for having no accents.

I agree that it is not a deep or mid south sound, it is more like what I would describe as a generic rural or country sound. It is similar to the sound of a Nashville singer that has been trained to sound country even though they grew up in Southern California.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 25,298 times
I was born and raised in ks and I was never told that I had a southern accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas