Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,360 times

Advertisements

Hello there! I work as a Photographer, and I am hoping to start up a photo studio/gallery. I currently live in Wausau, Wisconsin. I run a website where I display and sell my photography. Having had enough of the cold weather and dirty politics associated with Wisconsin, I am giving some serious thought about "setting up shop" elsewhere. I was in Topeka not too long ago, and came to enjoy the area. I was wondering how a photo studio would do in Topeka. I was also wondering if there are any good art associations to get involved with there. Other cities I am considering are Des Moines, Iowa and Lincoln, Nebraska. Any help or advice you may have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 10:42 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by znfineartphoto View Post
Hello there! I work as a Photographer, and I am hoping to start up a photo studio/gallery. I currently live in Wausau, Wisconsin. I run a website where I display and sell my photography. Having had enough of the cold weather and dirty politics associated with Wisconsin, I am giving some serious thought about "setting up shop" elsewhere. I was in Topeka not too long ago, and came to enjoy the area. I was wondering how a photo studio would do in Topeka. I was also wondering if there are any good art associations to get involved with there. Other cities I am considering are Des Moines, Iowa and Lincoln, Nebraska. Any help or advice you may have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Why Topeka? That place is just a craphole. It's KCK without the rest of metro KC if that means anything to you.

A college town like Lincoln will be much better, but college town are hard to predict and many residents don't have the cash to spend.

I would go with Des Moines. It's a much more vibrant economy and therefore potential and a much nicer place overall.

May I ask what kind of photo biz? I have a photo biz and do pretty well.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
The Governor of Kansas disbanded the State Arts Commission. This makes Kansas the only state in the country without state funded community arts associations. There are some cities and regions of the state that may soldier on with out funding. Some cities in Kansas are progressive with their funding of arts and have city funded arts. That means the arts council staff are city employees. Salina comes to mind and I think Junction City will fund their arts council.

If I was starting up a photography business I would try more remote areas of Kansas. With the proliferation of photoshop, and recently introduced cameras for consumers, almost anyone can take great pictures with little training. Guys I know are only able to survive in that business during prom and little league seasons.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Why Topeka? That place is just a craphole. It's KCK without the rest of metro KC if that means anything to you.

A college town like Lincoln will be much better, but college town are hard to predict and many residents don't have the cash to spend.

I would go with Des Moines. It's a much more vibrant economy and therefore potential and a much nicer place overall.

May I ask what kind of photo biz? I have a photo biz and do pretty well.
I primarily work with Fine Art Photography, but am expanding into working with people. I have had the chance to work in studio with some of the best photogs in Minneapolis/St Paul. In addition, I have a wedding to photograph in June. Another area of interest is working with objects. I know someone who takes pics of artwork and other objects for people and does great with that. In fact, a friend of mine who owns a restaurant is looking to get new shots of his menu items, and I may get the job. Still, as I said, I've had enough of WI. After the wedding job is done, I'll be able to go anywhere. I also have friends in Topeka and Olathe.

I've lived in Madison, WI before. Madison is the home of the Univ. of WI. Great town, but very expensive. And the art scene there is VERY cut-throat. Plus, Madison is a very busy place. I got the same vibe from Lincoln. I found Topeka and Des Moines to be more laid back.

Thank you VERY much for your input!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 AM

321 posts, read 1,214,252 times
I'd consider Lawrence, before Topeka. It's got a much bigger, more appreciated, art scene and it's right in between your friends in Topeka and Olathe.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
From watching the housing market in Topeka, I'm not sure how much extra money they would have to spend on photography. Kansas wages also tend to be low and although you may look at an average wage and it may not look so bad, generally the government workers are making the largest share with many working retail and fast food that are just getting by or maybe not even that. Kansas has a tough economy and with the state making so many cuts, it has not gotten better. I would like to withdraw my vote for Brownback!

Old 03-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
From watching the housing market in Topeka, I'm not sure how much extra money they would have to spend on photography. Kansas wages also tend to be low and although you may look at an average wage and it may not look so bad, generally the government workers are making the largest share with many working retail and fast food that are just getting by or maybe not even that. Kansas has a tough economy and with the state making so many cuts, it has not gotten better. I would like to withdraw my vote for Brownback!
AnywhereElse- You've heard about all the B.S. our governor, Scott Walker, has put our state through, right? Of course, the good people of Wisconsin are doing something about it! We will be having a recall election at the end of May!

Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesera View Post
I'd consider Lawrence, before Topeka. It's got a much bigger, more appreciated, art scene and it's right in between your friends in Topeka and Olathe.
QueSera- Does Topeka have any art fairs or anything like that? Also, do they have a Farmer's Market in the warmer months? And how about any art associations? I read in an earlier post that Kansas cut funding for the Arts. But I still think that through 501(c)3 organizations and some help from local schools, Topeka could have a vibrant art scene! Call me naive, but I believe it could happen.

My city (Wausau, WI) is much smaller than Topeka, yet it has a vibrant art scene, complete with two art museums and an art association. And, believe me, the economy here is dwindling as well. We lost a huge paper plant, as well as other industries. The only jobs coming in are exclusively for those with Bechelor's degrees, which doesn't help most folks here.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 8,764 times
I live in Olathe and commute to Topeka for work everyday. Topeka is very blue collar and there is not a lot of discretionary income per household. There isn't much in Topeka - one theatre that is just okay. The infrastructure is awful. Streets are a mess. THey have those portable signs that have an arrow that lights up and you can change out the plastic letters, on every corner. Not kidding. It's hideous. The majority of the community and residents don't appear to care about the city's growth or infrastructure as they won't approve tax increases to fix anything. As another poster pointed out, the governer, Sam Brownback, dismantled the arts commission and does not support the arts. What's worse is that Topeka is the KS state capital and it's an awful representation of our state. There are a few nuggets in Topeka but they are few and far between and most unfortunate is that there are not enough people who support the local nuggets to keep them in business. I've been to Des Moines and Lincoln. I'd choose Lincoln first - in a heartbeat. Although Lawrence, KS is a GREAT town as an alternative, as is Olathe. Either area has a great local arts support. And the many farmer's markets in the Olathe and Overland Park areas are amazing. Lawrence is a college town, sort of like Boulder, CO. As far as I know, not for sure, there is no farmer's market in Topeka either. You can get a great 3 bdrm., 2 1/2 bath home in Olathe for between $170 and $200,000. Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebRock22 View Post
I live in Olathe and commute to Topeka for work everyday. Topeka is very blue collar and there is not a lot of discretionary income per household. There isn't much in Topeka - one theatre that is just okay. The infrastructure is awful. Streets are a mess. THey have those portable signs that have an arrow that lights up and you can change out the plastic letters, on every corner. Not kidding. It's hideous. The majority of the community and residents don't appear to care about the city's growth or infrastructure as they won't approve tax increases to fix anything. As another poster pointed out, the governer, Sam Brownback, dismantled the arts commission and does not support the arts. What's worse is that Topeka is the KS state capital and it's an awful representation of our state. There are a few nuggets in Topeka but they are few and far between and most unfortunate is that there are not enough people who support the local nuggets to keep them in business. I've been to Des Moines and Lincoln. I'd choose Lincoln first - in a heartbeat. Although Lawrence, KS is a GREAT town as an alternative, as is Olathe. Either area has a great local arts support. And the many farmer's markets in the Olathe and Overland Park areas are amazing. Lawrence is a college town, sort of like Boulder, CO. As far as I know, not for sure, there is no farmer's market in Topeka either. You can get a great 3 bdrm., 2 1/2 bath home in Olathe for between $170 and $200,000. Hope this helps.
You paint a pretty grim picture. Sadly much of it (not all) is true.

However, there IS a farmer's market and it's a nice one too. Also you can get a lot more house for your money in Topeka than in Lawrence or Olathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas