Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:24 PM

180 posts, read 261,725 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I stopped by the Topeka Zoo for the first time since childhood and was struck by just how bad of shape it was in. The elephant enclosure in particular struck me as way too small (and this was even before the controversy about its humaneness drummed up a year or two later). After reading about some of the other problems that have ensued with the zoo since, I have to wonder what makes the zoo so "world famous".

The sad thing is it's not even the worst zoo I've seen in Kansas. I don't know to what extent it deserves the name "zoo", but the zoo in Clay Center horrified me. I remember seeing one squirrel in a cage with literally nothing but a small ball.

I've never been to the zoo in Wichita, and I was impressed by the outdoor thing near Salina. How has the Manhattan zoo kept up over the years? I probably haven't been there in twenty years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:35 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveTransplant View Post
A few years ago, I stopped by the Topeka Zoo for the first time since childhood and was struck by just how bad of shape it was in. The elephant enclosure in particular struck me as way too small (and this was even before the controversy about its humaneness drummed up a year or two later). After reading about some of the other problems that have ensued with the zoo since, I have to wonder what makes the zoo so "world famous".

The sad thing is it's not even the worst zoo I've seen in Kansas. I don't know to what extent it deserves the name "zoo", but the zoo in Clay Center horrified me. I remember seeing one squirrel in a cage with literally nothing but a small ball.

I've never been to the zoo in Wichita, and I was impressed by the outdoor thing near Salina. How has the Manhattan zoo kept up over the years? I probably haven't been there in twenty years.
Since you live in Olathe....don't waste your time on those zoos.

Drive 30 minutes and support the KCMO Zoo over towards the baseball stadium. The new director has done fantastic work with the place in recent years and is improving it year after year.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM

180 posts, read 261,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Since you live in Olathe....don't waste your time on those zoos.

Drive 30 minutes and support the KCMO Zoo over towards the baseball stadium. The new director has done fantastic work with the place in recent years and is improving it year after year.
I agree and I did take my stepdaughter there recently.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times
The Kansas City Zoo is great. The Manhattan Zoo is excellent. The Rolling Hills Zoo west of Salina is exceptional as well. Someone else recently mentioned on this forum that the Garden City Zoo is one of the best zoos in the state. I have never been there, but will have to check it out.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:49 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
The Kansas City Zoo is great. The Manhattan Zoo is excellent. The Rolling Hills Zoo west of Salina is exceptional as well. Someone else recently mentioned on this forum that the Garden City Zoo is one of the best zoos in the state. I have never been there, but will have to check it out.
They have zoos in Manhattan and GC?? Who'd have guessed?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
They have zoos in Manhattan and GC?? Who'd have guessed?
While I cannot speak to those in particular, there are a number of very high quality specialty zoos tucked in around the country.

Ellowa farms in the north suburbs of chicago, nestled up amongst subdivisions of multi-million dollar mansions has a tremendous collection, especially with regards to venemous snakes. Who knew?

The black hills reptile institute (close to Mt. Rushmore) has one of the worlds greatest reptile collection on display.

<shrug>

Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While I cannot speak to those in particular, there are a number of very high quality specialty zoos tucked in around the country.

Ellowa farms in the north suburbs of chicago, nestled up amongst subdivisions of multi-million dollar mansions has a tremendous collection, especially with regards to venemous snakes. Who knew?

The black hills reptile institute (close to Mt. Rushmore) has one of the worlds greatest reptile collection on display.

<shrug>
Interesting. I guess I just figured zoos would be limited to large cities to attract people. They're not cheap!

Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Interesting. I guess I just figured zoos would be limited to large cities to attract people. They're not cheap!
The one tucked away in the north suburbs of Chicago is fairly small and is at least partially funded by the rather wealthy city it's located in.

Not sure what funds the black hills reptile institute but they are near some tourist locations and snakes are probably fairly cheap to keep relative to some other types of animals.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:20 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
The Lee Richardson Zoo in Garden City, KS does have a Nice Zoo. I've been to it a few times. Free to walk through, have to pay if you Drive through it.

Lee Richardson Zoo - Garden City, KS

Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM

14 posts, read 18,800 times
I think the Sedgwick County Zoo in Wichita is well maintained and cared for. I think there is a special education program at West High School that teaches job skills, where students volunteer at the zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas