Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:26 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Grandparent View Post
ATTENTION KANSAS GRANDPARENTS!!!!
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!!

Have you lost the opportunity to spend time with your grandchildren due to a family argument, divorce or death of one parent? I am the state leader of a group of grandparents in Kansas no longer allowed to see their grandchildren. We are planning on spending a LOT of time working with the 2015 kansas legislative session. We are fighting an uphill battle and need a strong presence to get legislation introduced and passed! Have already contacted several legislatures who are willing to work with us.

The current grandparents rights law is a good start, but needs improvement. We can make that happen if we have a strong support group! We need to focus on the rights of the children.

Please email me at:

modcut- read terms of service, do not provide links to email.
If you are interested in helping out. The more grandparents we have the more credibility we will have with the legislators.

This is ridiculous. As a grandparent, I would never cause a rift so wide that I would not be able to see my grandkids because of it. Maybe the grandparents that can't see their grandkids because of a family argument shouldn't be such assclowns in the first place.

And I would still be able to see my grands despite a divorce or death, because again, I am not an assclown to my son-in-law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 07:29 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
"I think it is different than if one parent keeps them away from the other parent. Parents have rights that grandparents don't (and shouldn't) have. Now if the parents are unfit, that's one thing. But if they're not, it's their choice who they want in their children's lives."

This is exactly how people who believe their children are their property believe. It's what's in the best interest of the parents. . . Not the children.

Pot, meet Kettle.

You are going nuts over not being able to see a grandchild you raised for two years. You sound like you think you own the kid just for helping them for two years.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:03 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
I would hope that the Kansas courts would need to see hard evidence of abuse of the child before taking seriously the demands of a meddling grandparent. In cases of abuse, of course the grandparents have a vital interest, but so does every other civilized human being. A vital interest is far different from a right.

But in the absence of any abuse, i.e. issues growing from parent-grandparent conflict, for any arm of government to override the wishes of a parent is an outrageous overreach and should never happen. In reading about the current Kansas law, my impression is that it already goes too far and inches toward a slippery slope.

As far as I'm concerned, grandparents have no "rights" where grandchildren are concerned....and I don't know why anyone would think they do.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:44 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I was shocked that anyone other than the parents have "rights" concerning their child(ren) but: Grandparents Rights in Kansas - Grandparents Rights by State

Could the grandparent be caught between two different states: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...isitation.html

Old 11-06-2014, 02:56 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
It's a tough situation and I can understand both sides of the issue.

After my wife died I made certain that her parents kept the excellent relationship with their grandparents in tact.

We still visit them, they still come visit us even though I'm engaged now and everyone treats everybody else fairly.

I think some people that never had a good relationship with their grandparents don't appreciate what that can mean.

P.S. In the defense of the OP, she raised the grandkids for 2 years. That's some pretty extenuating circumstances.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:15 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's a tough situation and I can understand both sides of the issue.

After my wife died I made certain that her parents kept the excellent relationship with their grandparents in tact.

We still visit them, they still come visit us even though I'm engaged now and everyone treats everybody else fairly.

I think some people that never had a good relationship with their grandparents don't appreciate what that can mean.

P.S. In the defense of the OP, she raised the grandkids for 2 years. That's some pretty extenuating circumstances.
What doesn't play out is that she must have been to court since KS has grandparent visitation in cases where they decide it is in the best interest of the child and the court decided not to grant her visitation which is why she is here looking for support to extend the laws out to include whatever.

I had a good relationship with my grandparents, they lived next door until they died when I was a child but I darn well know that not all grandparents are suitable material and many trash the parent that is not their child. The fact that this grandparent feels the mother is jealous gives me a bad vibe.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:39 PM

10 posts, read 16,276 times
For the record. The court decided it was in the best interest of the children to continue their relationship with the grandparents. (That would be me). The first visit was a little tense for about a half an hour. It didn't take long for them to settle in and remember how wonderful their grandparents were. Since then, both children look very forward to their visits. When it's time to leave, they never want to go home.

We are not allowed to discuss their home life, however, we've been told the state has been involved with this family.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is ridiculous. As a grandparent, I would never cause a rift so wide that I would not be able to see my grandkids because of it. Maybe the grandparents that can't see their grandkids because of a family argument shouldn't be such assclowns in the first place.

And I would still be able to see my grands despite a divorce or death, because again, I am not an assclown to my son-in-law.
I used to think like you until my fiances husband re-married.

The woman is a psycho....

If she were your DIL, you'd be SOL no matter how nice you were.

My MIL has had friends that have had similar experiences and we have expressed how nice it is to have a great relationship that sometimes others can't have.

In short, you have been fortunate not to have been in the 1-2% where the other person is completely irrational and frankly nuts.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
For the record. The court decided it was in the best interest of the children to continue their relationship with the grandparents. (That would be me). The first visit was a little tense for about a half an hour. It didn't take long for them to settle in and remember how wonderful their grandparents were. Since then, both children look very forward to their visits. When it's time to leave, they never want to go home.

We are not allowed to discuss their home life, however, we've been told the state has been involved with this family.
I'm extremely happy for you.

I was just talking today with my son how happy I am that they've been able to have a rich relationship with their grandparents.

Ironically, (silver lining) after their mom died they actually started to spend about 10 days a summer with each set of grandparents giving me a break and them immeasurable quality time. Not that they didn't see them before but nothing comparable to that much time.

It's been a blessing.

Congratulations and all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas