Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:01 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times

Advertisements

My husband is a native of Kansas, born and raised in Junction City. We lived in JC for several years and I liked it despite the fact that most people trashed it. I wish we were there now! Salina is our favorite city though and that is where we planned to retire but now will be moving to a sunny state hopefully in the very near future.

We were both in the military (one Navy, one Air Force), traveled and lived in some different states. Nothing beats travel for "prospective".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 03:37 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
I was born in Topeka and grew up just south of there. Went to college in McPherson, lived in both Wichita and Lawrence for a short time. Never lived outside the state, but I have travelled a lot. Kansas can be boring and it has it's faults, but I think it's an ok place to live. I have a business here, so I can't move.

Heh, I'm one of those that trash JC, but really it's a unique town and has some interesting bits. I enjoy all the Korean restaurants. I worked on the base a few months, civilian construction worker, and I liked it. We would watch the helicopter pilots train, which was always fun. I have zero interest in joining the army, but it was still pretty cool.

Salina is ok, when I went to McPherson for college we would go to Salina maybe once a month. My girlfriend at the time was going to Bethel in Lindsborg, which is an interesting town as well. Actually, I have friends in Canton and Hillsboro as well. Hillsboro is a nice small community that often gets overlooked.

Do you have any states you are looking at most? I assume Texas must be high on the list? I wouldn't want to live in Houston, but I think that area of the state might be good. One of my best friends moved to Dallas two years ago and loves it there. Texas has a lot going for it.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:15 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
We are looking at the Southwest, dry climate and maybe AZ since we lived there before. TX? Ah, no. Passed through there a few times crossing the whole state east to west. Nice place to visit...... Lindsborg is quaint and really a top choice in KS for anyone looking for a small town and I watched and you don't see many houses become available there. I met someone from the Canton area, not that city but another small one and he said that Hillsboro was really a nice town and thought it would be a good fit for us. Many nice little towns in KS but no jobs unless you commute a good distance.

I grew up in a town of 2,000 in SW MI about 1/2 to South Bend, IN. If not for the cold winters, I would return there. Good programs for our son, fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of cultural stuff, animal parks, lakes, camping...........I don't want to talk myself into this because I really don't want cold winters.

TX is a good place for younger people as it seems to be the place that is really offering opportunities. Just I seek warmer winters, it is a consideration for companies who don't want high utility bills either or numerous snow days.

In the smaller towns in KS, you do get a lot more people who are native to KS.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
I was born and raised in Overland Park. I joined the Air Force and left at age 18, ended up in Europe for 3 years. I did come back to KS for a couple years from California to finish my degree at KU, but promptly returned to CA after graduating. I always wanted to live somewhere "more exciting" lol! And I'm definitely a "big city" person. We ended up in Denver a few years ago due to a job transfer, but I really hope to return to CA someday. I just feel at home there. Either L.A. or San Diego. Denver's ok for now though.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:41 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
I'm a native of Kansas. I grew up mostly in Kansas City, but from the middle of 8th grade on lived in and went to school in Independence.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:42 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
I am not literally a native of Kansas. When my Chase County-raised parents got married, they moved to LA for my dad's work. I showed up three years later. One and a half years into my life, my parents decided they didn't want to live or raise children in southern California. I spent my early years in Hutch (E 14th St, back when the future Cosmosphere was just a cool planetarium) and my first college football game was a Hutch Juco game. We left when I was seven, and from then on life wasn't too good, but something about the good memories of Kansas stuck with me. Of all my air trips in life, I would say half were to visit both sides of the family in Kansas. So no, not a native, but pretty close. And even 44 years after my parents hauled me away, I still think of myself as Kansan.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
How come everyone hate on Kansas?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:52 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I was born in Missouri...but I moved to Kansas at about age 6 and never looked back. Missourian by birth. Jayhawk by the grace of God.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
How come everyone hate on Kansas?
No hate. I just found it boring, so moved on.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I was born in Missouri...but I moved to Kansas at about age 6 and never looked back. Missourian by birth. Jayhawk by the grace of God.
Missouri, Kansas... does it really matter? lol! Going back to great grandparents, most lived on farms in Missouri. Some relatives stayed in MO, some moved to KS, some went to California. I followed the smart ones and moved to CA And my life goal is to get back to CA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas