Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,261 times

Advertisements

My dad and I had an argument on Thursday. He was getting upset while I stayed relatively level headed. He said I was being too sensitive and I argued that he wasn't being sensitive enough. He had just said that every thought I have is selfish and I disagreed. He slapped me in the face (not a common occurance, only one other time in my life a few months back has he hit me and that ended with a minor concussion) and I told him he shouldn't hit me. He slapped me again, and once again I told him that it is not his right to physically harm me. He told me that if I back talk he will slap again.

Anyhow, he posted a topic on Facebook the next day about how a parent can smack their child accross the face. The comments section became heated with multiple people defending their position and he said " I hope to never need to slap her" (referring to me, his 22 year old daughter) and I corrected him saying that he should change his message to " I hope to never need to slap her again". I didn't like that he implied that it had never happened and he was upset for being called out.

Eventually I was told that he is kicking me out and I have until Monday when he gets home from work to remove all of my possessions from his home or he will call a junk collector to pick it up.

I am OK with moving out and should have sooner rather than accept abuse but only having 2 days puts me in a bind and I don't think I can remove my items by then. Is there anything legally I can use to give myself more time? If I had until Friday I'm sure I could be done.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

P.S. I don't want to get him into any legal trouble (if I wanted that I have plenty of other things I could bring to attention), I just need time to move my things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 04:01 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,616,048 times
Since you're 22, you probably don't have any legal recourse, unless you want to call the police and press charges about him hitting you. That might gain you some time if they haul him off to jail.

Do you have some friends or co-workers who could help you pack?

Old 05-30-2015, 04:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
I think he needs to give you longer since you have been living there with is OK. Just be super polite and ask for a longer time.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:55 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
It is too bad your generation and maybe two before yours have been taught all about "YOUR RIGHTS" during your school years and nothing about RESPONSIBILITIES. One Bible verse says something about spare the rod, spoil the child. You missy are the perfect example of that verse.

Also another example of the evil Facebook can create.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:00 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKS View Post
My dad and I had an argument on Thursday. He was getting upset while I stayed relatively level headed. He said I was being too sensitive and I argued that he wasn't being sensitive enough. He had just said that every thought I have is selfish and I disagreed. He slapped me in the face (not a common occurance, only one other time in my life a few months back has he hit me and that ended with a minor concussion) and I told him he shouldn't hit me. He slapped me again, and once again I told him that it is not his right to physically harm me. He told me that if I back talk he will slap again.

Anyhow, he posted a topic on Facebook the next day about how a parent can smack their child accross the face. The comments section became heated with multiple people defending their position and he said " I hope to never need to slap her" (referring to me, his 22 year old daughter) and I corrected him saying that he should change his message to " I hope to never need to slap her again". I didn't like that he implied that it had never happened and he was upset for being called out.

Eventually I was told that he is kicking me out and I have until Monday when he gets home from work to remove all of my possessions from his home or he will call a junk collector to pick it up.

I am OK with moving out and should have sooner rather than accept abuse but only having 2 days puts me in a bind and I don't think I can remove my items by then. Is there anything legally I can use to give myself more time? If I had until Friday I'm sure I could be done.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

P.S. I don't want to get him into any legal trouble (if I wanted that I have plenty of other things I could bring to attention), I just need time to move my things.
Are you paying any rent? If so, you have to same right to proper notice that any other tenant would have.

And you may have that right even without rent if you have lived there long term with his approval. That aspect of Kansas law should be a fairly simple web search. Or you could check with the police - they would know.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:06 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
You should be packing instead of being on a public forum.

Any legal questions you have you need to ask an attorney, no one on this forum can give you legal advice.
Do some research on your own, contact an attorney, call the police or just pack your things and move.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:50 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
It is too bad your generation and maybe two before yours have been taught all about "YOUR RIGHTS" during your school years and nothing about RESPONSIBILITIES. One Bible verse says something about spare the rod, spoil the child. You missy are the perfect example of that verse.

Also another example of the evil Facebook can create.
You can judge this woman based on one post on C-D? Quit playing God. She stated she remained calm in the face of a heated argument. There is absolutely ZERO justification for striking a loved one unless it is in self-defense.

Why is it that Christian fundamentalists must swim in an Iron Age sea? Believing the Bible to be the literally perfect word of God, people like you sanctify fragments of culture from a time when our ancestors had yet to discover the spinning wheel or the simple lifesaving power of hand-washing.

When people elevate the bible on a pedestal, they lose their ability to think. Parents—meaning fathers—are elevated to the top of an ancient hierarchy in which position is power and might makes right. No thanks...not a world I want to live in.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:20 PM

605 posts, read 670,298 times
I don't know the OP's back story but if her dad did hit/slap her (and this applies even more so if this is a regular occurrence), I would definitely look at moving out and perhaps cutting off all contact with him since it sound's like he is mentally unstable. There are plenty of domestic violence shelters that would probably take you in temporarily.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:32 PM

136 posts, read 211,189 times
No he cannot just kick you out because legally you are protected because you are a tenant regardless of whether or not you pay rent (look up landlord/tenant laws in your state). You have to be evicted so you are entitled to some notice, 30 days for most states. My kids have had friends staying with us for short periods of time after arguments with parents and a friend of mine who is a lawyer warned me that if my guests are at my house too long then I won't be able to just ask them to leave. Do you have health insurance coverage under a parent's plan? They may be required to continue covering you even if you are not enrolled in school. I am not sure how Obama are works.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:38 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKS View Post
My dad and I had an argument on Thursday.
I'm sure everything that followed that is completely truthful and contains no self-serving characterizations. Right?

Also, you did go to the ER after the previous fracas and was diagnosed with a concussion -- right? Then you filed a police report, just as you did every time for the "plenty of other things" you're hinting you could accuse him of.

Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas