Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,072 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to wish everyone a very pleasant afternoon, and hopefully a nice week is being had by all following the long weekend.

I actually stumbled across this forum as I was browsing for tips/help on an upcoming change in my personal/professional life. I have found this forum to be full of positive, informative folks, thought I would join the community, and thought maybe someone here would be able to offer a suggestion or two.

My situation:
(1) Currently, I reside in South Brooklyn (Bay Ridge / Coney Island / Bensonhurst area)
(2) Accepted a position in my field in CT. Specifically, the office is located in Shelton, but I won't need to be in the office for for than 3-4 days a month.
(3) The rest will be spent travelling to client sites from New York City to Boston, with the greatest concentration in the Shelton / Stamford area.

Two of the more pressing things I need to jump on pronto are:
(1) Find a place to live - HEEEEEEEEEEEELPPP!! (I thought it would be logical to move to Stamford, although my employer doesn't care where my residence is.)
(2) Buy a car - I can handle this myself
(3) Find out which wireless provider has the best coverage - Verizon I have been told

About me (and her):
(1) Age: low 30's
(2) Married, no kids
(3) Budget: around $1200 (which is perhaps towards the lower end of the scale)
(4) Property type: looking to rent an apartment / condo.

Misc Nice to have(s):
(1) The one thing that is getting me down is the fact that I might be moving into Suburbia (TM) or worse.
(2) It would be nice to live in a place where I can walk to a few shops, go for an evening walk, some good restaurants, romantic couple stuff and such.

Any thought on where I should move, would you simply stay put in Brooklyn? move out of the city so I avoid traffic, etc. Hope I'm not asking for too much here A very sincere thank you to all.

Best Regards,
D

Ps. I also heard that there are places where there is no city / sewage ?? Would like to avoid those, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,635 times
$1200 won't get you much in Stamford. If you want to move to CT, North haven might be good for you, not far from Shelton for when you have to go there and about 2 hours, maybe 2 hours 15 minutes from Boston. I am a ny transplant myself...

Old 07-07-2011, 02:08 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
$1200 *might* get you a decent one bedroom in Stamford, but don't hold your breath. There are some apt communities in Hamden that are pretty nice.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:52 PM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
I do not think you will find much more than a very modest small apartment in Stamford for $1,200. It is one of the priciest parts of the country.

In your price range, I would look in the Black Rock section of Bridgeport. It is a small urban village with the shops you mention and a lot of rentals, though most are in two and three family homes. There are a number of nice small restaurants and a beautiful waterfront park. Another option may be Stratford which is a nice middle class suburban town. Jay

Old 07-08-2011, 01:05 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
You want to be near a train station for one. Going into New York or Stamford is harder by car than Boston, as you may already know.

I think suggestions above are good, with a few additions:

Black Rock (neighborhood of Bridgeport): younger crowd, slightly urban feel. Good train access to NYC/Stamford. A little further to Boston. 20-25 minutes to Shelton. Inexpensive. Western section is nicer. Limited nightlife, but has a few good bars.
Stratford: well rounded. Some parts nicer than others. North and east generally nice. Parts near Bridgeport not so much. Good train access. A little closer to Boston. Next door to Shelton.
Milford: Lively downtown and harbor area, wide variety of shopping and restaurants. Lots of beaches. Good train access. A little longer to NYC but a bit closer to Boston. Minutes to Shelton.
Hamden: Well rounded and inexpensive suburban town. Has a few nice parks and decent shopping options. Avoid southern Dixwell Ave and surrounding areas. Downside: no train access, you'd have to drive into New Haven or Milford for train.
New Haven: This would be the closest to what you have right now. There are higher crime parts (like NYC), but the following neighborhoods are great: Downtown/Yale, Wooster Square, East Rock. Downtown is very urban with (IMO) the best variety of restaurants, nightlife, entertainment and culture in the state. You're also 90 minutes to NYC by train and closer to Boston, and can take Amtrak to Boston as well - which makes it a convenient almost-mid-point.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not think you will find much more than a very modest small apartment in Stamford for $1,200. It is one of the priciest parts of the country.

In your price range, I would look in the Black Rock section of Bridgeport. It is a small urban village with the shops you mention and a lot of rentals, though most are in two and three family homes. There are a number of nice small restaurants and a beautiful waterfront park. Another option may be Stratford which is a nice middle class suburban town. Jay
Of course, compared to Brooklyn (unless he lives in a marginal part of the boro), he may find Stamford a relative bargain.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:26 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,328 times
Check the Norwalk area. You should be able to find something decent for the two of you in that price range.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

I second the Black Rock recommendation. Either that, or maybe some better section of New Haven.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Since his travel needs will be pretty broad (NY - Boston) and he wants to be in reasonable proximity to Shelton, AND he wants to be in or very close to "urban civilization," I'd think maybe Westville village is a good option. That's if he can find something that comes with off-street parking. The Blake Street area closest to the old 500 Blake Street restaurant is still decent, and anything near Forest Road is going to be liveable and affordable.

It's a hop to Rte 15/Derby Tpke, and 68, so easy access to the main roads in and out of the Valley. It's also at a reasonable distance from downtown New Haven, and several bus routes run from one to the other in case he doesn't feel like driving into town on a weekend.

The Upper State area of New Haven might be perfect for him too, but again, only if he can find off-street parking. Lots and lots of little boutiquey-style shops and restaurants, the Modern, antique stores galore, a combination of younger Yale grad student types, and slightly older professionals, along with the few stodgy die-hard older folks who've lived there for decades.

If I was in my 30's and living alone, but wanting the company of a friendly and lively neighborhood, with easy access to the highway, I'd pick the area between State and Whitney, as close to the Modern as possible (no better pizza on the planet, if you ask me!).

Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

If I was in my 30's and living alone, but wanting the company of a friendly and lively neighborhood, with easy access to the highway, I'd pick the area between State and Whitney, as close to the Modern as possible (no better pizza on the planet, if you ask me!).
That is a great area. And Modern is amazing! (So are Mezcal and Caseus, two of my favorite restaurants that are in that area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut