Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 11:06 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times

Advertisements

Here are the top 5 small towns in Kansas according to the website. What are your guys favorite small towns? I would add to the list: Hillsboro, Marion, Lindsborg, and Victoria, I would also add McPherson, but that's larger then the rest at about 15,000. A friend of mine grew up in Norton and loves it there. Norton and Atwood are the only towns I haven't visited on the list, the other 3 are nice little towns.

https://www.travelks.com/articles/po...wns-in-kansas/

I've forgotten the name of the town, but somewhere between Topeka and Concordia there is a really neat small town with some sort of annual flower festival. I can't recall the name, it's right on a river too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 11:24 AM

767 posts, read 1,321,845 times
In my opinion, Victoria doesn't have anything going for it besides the cathedral and its proximity to Hays. There are small towns with catholic churches everywhere in in rural Kansas and the only difference Victora has is that their church is larger. It's just a town that lacks a central business district (there is a small cluster of what appears to have been an attempt at a downtown near the grain elevator) with a large and beautiful church and a school district. The town wouldn't be be better off than the likes of Catherine, Liebenthal, Munjor, or Walker if it hadn't become a bedroom community to Hays and a haven for older folks. I'm a big fan of Wilson and Cottonwood Falls/Strong City. If Ellis didn't have the big meth issue I would put it on my list. Sylvan Grove, Wilson, and Bunker Hill all have fantastic restaurants that draw in traffic from many miles, as does Cottonwood Falls.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:56 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
In my opinion, Victoria doesn't have anything going for it besides the cathedral and its proximity to Hays. There are small towns with catholic churches everywhere in in rural Kansas and the only difference Victora has is that their church is larger. It's just a town that lacks a central business district (there is a small cluster of what appears to have been an attempt at a downtown near the grain elevator) with a large and beautiful church and a school district. The town wouldn't be be better off than the likes of Catherine, Liebenthal, Munjor, or Walker if it hadn't become a bedroom community to Hays and a haven for older folks. I'm a big fan of Wilson and Cottonwood Falls/Strong City. If Ellis didn't have the big meth issue I would put it on my list. Sylvan Grove, Wilson, and Bunker Hill all have fantastic restaurants that draw in traffic from many miles, as does Cottonwood Falls.
That's true that Victoria's advantage is its proximity to Hays. I just like the local culture there. My wife has adopted family that have a farm just outside Victoria and we enjoy visiting them a lot. The town doesn't have a lot going for it, but it's very organized, clean, and not many vacant or run down buildings. I was disappointed when Gambinos pizza closed, yes it's a chain, but I liked it more then the one in Hays. Actually we have a Gaminos in my town here in NE Kansas, but I don't really like the one here. I guess straying a little off topic, there is a Gambinos in Concordia that has some of the best pizza I have ever had. I'm not sure why there is such a difference in the restaurants, but there sure is.

I don't have a lot of experience traveling western Kansas past Hays (besides I-70), I'm sure there are other neat towns, I just don't know them.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:18 PM

25,946 posts, read 22,098,104 times
The two I have been in, Council Grove and Marysville, are very nice little towns. Rarely do they have many homes for sale, and considering the size of the town in KS, the prices are quite high thus high property taxes too! Less people does mean everyone pays a greater share for essential services.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:51 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,197,967 times
St. Francis, Kansas is a nice small town. Also, Oberlin, KS is very nice as well as Lakin. I haven't been to any of them recently though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas