Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:09 PM

110 posts, read 270,884 times

Advertisements

IMO, Kansas deserves to have some sort of Major League team. I don't count to KC Wizards, since MLS isn't really that popular. I mean a team in the Big 4 Leagues. Any team. Population isn't much of a problem anymore. There's almost 2 million people in Wichita's TV market. I would prefer an NBA team, but it really doesn't matter what team we could get. Any team would be fine for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 03:38 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
You don't deserve one if you can't appreciate the Wizards.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
You don't deserve one if you can't appreciate the Wizards.
Most Kansans aren't even aware that the Wizards are based in KCK! And, where I live, if anyone likes soccer, they always go for Mexican teams, not MLS teams.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:45 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post
IMO, Kansas deserves to have some sort of Major League team. I don't count to KC Wizards, since MLS isn't really that popular. I mean a team in the Big 4 Leagues. Any team. Population isn't much of a problem anymore. There's almost 2 million people in Wichita's TV market. I would prefer an NBA team, but it really doesn't matter what team we could get. Any team would be fine for me.
How can anyone expect Wichita to have an NBA team if people question the validity of Oklahoma City as market, which is twice the size of Wichita. Don't most people in Kansas follow the teams in KC anyway? As far as basketball you all are more than welcome to support our Thunder. Wichita is the only city possible and I don't see it happening, ever. Too many cities larger vying for pro sports. Also too many other teams around with Denver, KC, OKC and Dallas all somewhat close by.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
How can anyone expect Wichita to have an NBA team if people question the validity of Oklahoma City as market, which is twice the size of Wichita. Don't most people in Kansas follow the teams in KC anyway? As far as basketball you all are more than welcome to support our Thunder. Wichita is the only city possible and I don't see it happening, ever. Too many cities larger vying for pro sports. Also too many other teams around with Denver, KC, OKC and Dallas all somewhat close by.
As a matter of fact, I am an OKC Thunder fan, for the simple fact that Oklahoma City is the closest NBA team to Kansas.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Seems like OKC is proving everybody wrong. They are supporting the NBA well and will probably support the AHL well when they get that team next year. I mean any city that averages 16k for a cental hockey league team is desperate for a pro team.

Wichita is nowhere near big enough for any major league sport, especially baseball.

KC is almost too small for baseball with a market of nearly 3 million. You really need 4-5 million people to support an MLB team. That's why Charlotte, Portland etc won't be getting one anytime soon.

And KC needs to have a bit more respect for the Wizards. There are a dozen metros that would take that team in a heartbeat. Hopefully the new stadium will help them.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 AM

77 posts, read 190,741 times
This market will never support major league sports. There are four major league franchises within three hours of Wichita, and we can't support minor league sports in Wichita. Case in point: the Wranglers, the double-A affiliate of the Royals. I know their owner is from NW Arkansas, but that was not the reason the team moved, it was the reason they ended up where they did. The reason they moved was because the community did not support them. I don't care which sport it is, you can't keep a sports team when you draw less than 2,000 fans per game. The only surprise I had with the Wranglers was that they stayed as long as they did. You want to dream about major league sports in Kansas? Start by building a new baseball stadium in Wichita, and then drawing a double-A or triple-A team to Wichita.

Don't use the success of Wichita State basketball and baseball as rationale for bringing a major league franchise to Wichita, because college sports and minor league sports are very different. This is part of the reason places like Austin, Texas and Louisville, Kentucky don't have a major league franchise (both areas are much larger than Wichita). When college athletics dominate your sporting landscape, you shouldn't make them compete with the major leagues.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Most Kansans aren't even aware that the Wizards are based in KCK! And, where I live, if anyone likes soccer, they always go for Mexican teams, not MLS teams.
Most Kansans aren't aware that soccer exists in this country. We're so dominated with football and basketball that we don't recognize the success of other sports.

As for soccer, the fact that fewer people follow MLS is the reason their stadiums are smaller. Take a look at some of the new soccer-only stadiums in the US, and you'll see that most of them seat fewer than 25,000 for a soccer match. They are very nice facilities, and the fans are extremely passionate about their teams. I'm excited for the opening of the new Wizards stadium. I think I would enjoy a soccer match there.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb_guy View Post
This market will never support major league sports. There are four major league franchises within three hours of Wichita, and we can't support minor league sports in Wichita. Case in point: the Wranglers, the double-A affiliate of the Royals. I know their owner is from NW Arkansas, but that was not the reason the team moved, it was the reason they ended up where they did. The reason they moved was because the community did not support them. I don't care which sport it is, you can't keep a sports team when you draw less than 2,000 fans per game. The only surprise I had with the Wranglers was that they stayed as long as they did. You want to dream about major league sports in Kansas? Start by building a new baseball stadium in Wichita, and then drawing a double-A or triple-A team to Wichita.

Don't use the success of Wichita State basketball and baseball as rationale for bringing a major league franchise to Wichita, because college sports and minor league sports are very different. This is part of the reason places like Austin, Texas and Louisville, Kentucky don't have a major league franchise (both areas are much larger than Wichita). When college athletics dominate your sporting landscape, you shouldn't make them compete with the major leagues.
I think Wichita could support a NBA D-League team.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I think Wichita could support a NBA D-League team.
Let's wait and see how the Thunder (local hockey team) does at IBA. The success of drawing fans to IBA will speak as to the potential of a D-League team. Since the team really tanked this year, and they just moved into the arena, next year will be the telling year. If IBA can't draw fans to a Thunder game, the D-League would be a disaster.

My hope is that WSU continues to succeed at basketball. Koch Arena is one of the more underrated places to watch a game. If you've never been to a Shocker game, even if you're not a college b-ball fan, you're missing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas