Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 PM

161 posts, read 562,486 times

Advertisements

I currently live in North Dakota and am looking to transfer to somewhere that has somewhat warmer winters, but still stay in the plains or midwest area. Topeka has a lot of the things I am looking for...

Just the right size
Low Apartment Rentals
Some Big City Amenties like Art Museum and Library
A college for events, but not what the city revolves around
Close enough to a big city and airport (KC) with shuttles
Shopping concentrated in one area

My main concern is the whole crime rate thing. I would be working and hopefully living on the west side of town near West Ridge Mall. It looks like there are a lot of apartments concentrated in that area. Is this a safe area? Where shoud I avoid? Can you go downtown or to the college and be safe? There will be times when I may need to use the public transit system. Is that safe?

Why do cities in Kansas have higher crime rates than other cities in the plains?

On a positive note, the city-data crime index for Topeka has dropped almost 300 points in 8 years. Does it actually feel like things have improved?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Just please don't suggest Lawrence instead. It is too expensive and too much of a college town for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 AM

321 posts, read 1,213,683 times
*You're considering living in a relatively low crime part of town. On the west side, you do have West Ridge Mall, as well as the "Wanamaker corridor", which is where a lot of the shopping and restaurants are located. I think, for the most part, Topeka is a safe place to live. You just have to be smart, and aware, like any other small city.

*Areas of Topeka to avoid: The Oakland area and the Highland Park area, they're both on the east side of town and tend to have a higher crime rate than other parts of town.

*Many people use the public transit system, it's much cheaper than owning a car with upkeep and other costs. I've never used the system, but I've heard it could use some improvements.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:15 AM

62 posts, read 228,640 times
Topeka is a town that has good areas in the middle of bad areas and vise versa. Here is a a link that might help.
Topeka.org | City of Topeka Crime Stats (http://www.topeka.org/crimestats/Map.aspx - broken link)

Yes, the public transportation system needs .... something. I've tried a couple of times and I suppose once you get the routes and schedules down it would work but.... ick.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Default I Would Consider

My son lived in Topeka for awhile. We considered it but the crime is very high. I was reading a report on meth this week for the state of Kansas which included info about the drug as well as the gangs and crime associated with it. You might consider a smaller town outside of Topeka so that you could commute in for those things that interest you. If you relocate, make sure you clearly understand what areas to stay away from. When we were visiting our son, who has since moved, I believe they had a shooting in the library parking lot - kind of a major turnoff since that would be a place we would frequent.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:51 PM

8 posts, read 32,591 times
Default Topeka Stinks!!

I've lived in Topeka my entire life....and have spent the last half trying to get out of this place! You are correct, Topeka is a small town with big town crime rates! I live on the West side of town, only a few minutes from West Ridge Mall in a good neighborhood, and still I have problems with crime! On the bright side, most of it is petty crime, i.e. car stereo, bicycles, etc. If you stay out of the neighborhoods mentioned, highland park and Oakland, you'll rarely encounter violent crimes. I will say I've lived in both neighborhoods.....and never had a problem with violent crime.

I would suggest Lawrence if you don't mind the extra expense! It's worth every penny if you ask me!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:57 AM

62 posts, read 228,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
----You might consider a smaller town outside of Topeka so that you could commute in for those things that interest you. ....

My friend thought the same thing. Moved to a small town north of Topeka to avoid "crime".... found out the man across the street from her small town home was a convicted pedifile and the house down the street was a meth lab. Couldn't WAIT to come back to town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
----When we were visiting our son, who has since moved, I believe they had a shooting in the library parking lot - kind of a major turnoff since that would be a place we would frequent.
I don't remember hearing about this. Not to say it didn't happen, but....I hear a lot.

don't let the doom and gloomers keep you away. Topeka has MUCH to offer. TPAC, TCTA, museums, schools, parks, .... You can always be part of the solution.

I worry about all these people that get on here crying about how this is a crime capital. I feel like they are advertising for MORE criminals to move here.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 AM

8 posts, read 32,591 times
Default Seriously?!?

I worry about all these people that get on here crying about how this is a crime capital. I feel like they are advertising for MORE criminals to move here.[/quote]

Nobody is 'crying'.....just stating the obvious! And I'm not sure how talking about crime invites more criminals?!?!? Maybe you shouldn't be in such denial about the how bad crime is in Topeka....you can't fix what's not broke!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:48 PM

68 posts, read 376,375 times
I second IDDA123. Live in Lawrence! VERY safe. I lived there for 4 years, while in college and I can confidently say that there is no part of town that I would feel nervous walking in at 3 am. SO safe and very eclectic -- in a good way!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyRyan View Post
I second IDDA123. Live in Lawrence! VERY safe. I lived there for 4 years, while in college and I can confidently say that there is no part of town that I would feel nervous walking in at 3 am. SO safe and very eclectic -- in a good way!
He already said he wasn't interested in Lawrence.

dakota, if I were you, I would look into the Southwest corner of Johnson County (Olathe, Gardner or the West part of Lenexa or Shawnee.) Yes folks, I know JoCo is not the only place in KS to live - but in this case, I think it would fit what he's looking for:

It has the same size "feel" to it.
Low Apartment Rentals
Lots of cultural activities within reach
JC Community College also has several events series, and KU is close.
close to airport - close than Topeka
Concentrated shopping areas.

Personally, I wouldn't be worried about crime rates in Topeka, I'd be worried that it's referred to even by many residents and former residents as To-puke-a.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 24,352 times
I was a deputy sheriff in Topeka for 24 years, and in law enforcement there for 35 years. Crime is everywhere. Small towns are even worse, as they usually have no law enforcement other then the county sheriff. The sheriff is usually way short of deputies, and over stretched. I live near a small town. There is no law enforcement in the town, other than the sheriff who usually makes rounds through town twice a shift. There are lots of good people in small towns, but criminals too. They migrate to smaller towns due to a lack of law enforcement. As for Topeka, or any city, there are safe areas, and areas full of criminals. The west side of town is generally the safest, however, even in that area there are safer areas, and areas not so safe. The west side is more affluent, and criminals go where the "loot" is. That is why crime has increased around the stores and the mall on Wanamaker. If I was that concerned about it, as you seem to be, get a concealed carry permit and carry a gun, I always do. We live nearer to Lawrence than Topeka, and have for over 30 years. My wife works in Lawrence, the traffic is horrible, the city is full of liberals and there are a lot on the city and county commissions. It could be the same anywhere, as can the crime rate. The westridge area is as safe as Topeka gets. We call criminals pukes, which is where To-puke-a comes from. If I had a choice, I would move to the piney woods of east Texas, but I don't. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas