Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM

16 posts, read 100,950 times

Advertisements

Hi there! my family and I are moving to Garden City ks. from LA. There wasnt much racism in LA. Every body seems to get along. Whites,Blacks.Latinos,Asians. Im just wondering if there is any racism in Garden city. I hope that there wont be much.replys are greatly appreciated!!

P.S. I have heard that there is racism towards the Mexicans. I just want to live in a community where everybody gets along and work together to help build and improve the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
You are in the wrong forum, but Garden City is about 50% Hispanic. I would certainly expect a lot of racism there. Nearly all probably work for the meat packing plants, at low wages. In general, though, Kansas towns that I know fairly well are are a lot less racist than in most other states.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:02 PM

4 posts, read 26,767 times
you wrong i was born and raised in garden city we get paid mid wages and 65% hispanic there is no racism at all here its a nice quiet town if u go down south which is called burnside thats the ghetto thats where all the gangs are at but they aint **** all are fakes here in GC the real true gangs are at LA or ATL but gc not even close but other then its a nice town not a lot of things to do be you can plan somthing and get away with it

Old 11-20-2009, 02:22 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrodrigz2009 View Post
65% hispanic
Incorrect.

Check here.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:51 AM

11 posts, read 43,280 times
Every town has it's racism. most of it is closet bigots over here in Kansas though. I think there's a couple hammerskins in Wichita. Last I heard anyways. but they're weak, and for all aspects, retarded, I wouldn't worry about them. And Every county has it's spooks aka The Klan, who's meetings are like a High School Keg Party with a bunch of Inbred rednecks dressed up like ghosts, but you only know about the Klan meetings if you're in the Klan.

And Garden City is soft. Try 27th and Prospect, or 8th and Troost in KCMO if you want gangs, that is.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 9,383 times
I took a look at this post out of curiosity, hoping that I would see some kind of decent answer to the original question...I was wrong.

I was raised in Wichita and moved to Garden City for my last year of high school. In my experience, the local schools are well staffed and well run, and they provide a good education, and there does not seem to be any kind of racial preferences. All students are provided with the same environment for learning, and the same materials. However, becuase of the local conservative religious influence from the people who impliment the public school system, the curriculum is somewhat restricted. The schools in Wichita were much more open-minded and students were able to ask more questions about the material being taught.

As far as violence...Garden City has a very low scale of violence when compared to place like Wichita. There are few REPORTED rapes, few REPORTED murders, and very few REPORTED home invasions. Typically, Garden City is a very safe place to raise a family--my wife and I are raising two children in Garden City.

Having said that...I should let it be known that there has been an increase in petty and non-violent crime in the past year or two.

As far as law enforcement...our local police department has a tendency to profile citizens, not by race, but more by appearance and by the company we keep. If you wear your pants a certain way, wear your hat a certain way, or stand in groups outside of a rock show and you're all dressed a certain way, it's considered "gang related activity" ...the police here have a ball with these things.

I will agree with previous statements about gangs in Garden City. The loose arrangement of groups of friends who call themselves "gangs" are somewhat of a joke around Garden City. Gangs here try to give off the impression that they have ties to important people or other groups, when in reality, gangs here are very small scale and MOSTLY non-violent. After growing up in Wichita, a city whose gang activity is basically small scale when compared to other much larger metropolitan cities, Garden City is a definite decrease in potential danger from gang activity.

Our population in Garden City is predominantly Latino\Hispanic. (I'm never sure which term is more politically correct, so I'll use both.) Most locally owned businesses are Latino owned, a large cross-section of our teachers and our law enforcement and our legal system are Latino. Our city and its administrators (most of whom are Latino\Hispanic) host a Cinco de Mayo parade every year, and Hispanic heritage is celbrated and taught in our schools.

There are people of many "races" living in Garden City. People can try to analyze this and say that it's because of the meat packing plants, but there are a multitude of occupations held by people of all "races" in our city. Most people get along most of the time here, and when problems occur, it is rarely racially motivated.

Having said that...Garden City is an agricultural-based community. There is a good sized population of "good 'ol boys"....if you aren't familiar with this term, it's a nicer way of saying "red-necks" or "farm-boys." Unfortunately, some of the local population of "good 'ol boys" likes to use what they call "patriotism" to justify some forms of racism--not formal, institutionalized racism--more like underhanded, behind the back kind of racism. It usually comes in the form of comments made as you walk away. It's usually very childish, and it usually includes the phrase "this is America, and I was born here!!", like it's some kind of badge or reward.

Overall, I like Garden City and I think that it's a safe place to raise my children. Racism and general crime is low. The cost of living is not un-sustainable, and my wife and I are able to live comfortably on less than $30,000 income per year.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 11,364 times
Ha Ha Ha to the person who commented about the population number being wrong and really posted a place on the internet to check the numbers. You can check your numbers via the internet all you want and guess what you will still be wrong! Number one we are a majority minority city do some research! If you lived here you would know that the hispanic/Latino population is most definately higher than reported. Hmmm why would that be oh yeah duh because if you were an illegal would you register with the census???? Wow really do you have any idea how far off those numbers are in any city?? Now in response to the actual post I love Garden City and wouldnt live anywhere else. As for racism it exsists everywhere but I would have to agree that here it is mostly behind the back gossip kind of nonsense. Not really outspoken in public racism.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:17 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,643,053 times
I'm tired of reading the phrase "hispanic/latino" .
Hispanic is anybody who originally speaks spanish language and usually is from either Spain or the countries that are the former colonies of Spain like Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Argentina, Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Bolivia, Panama, Costa Rica, Santo Domigo, Venezuela, San Salvador, Honduras.
People from Spain like me, speak spanish castillian language basically amongst some other languages like Galleigan, Basque, Catalonian, etc and we are not considered latinos , because etnically we descend from the former Iberians and Celtics that originally settled down in the Iberian peninsula more than 5,000 years ago.
In consecuence the people born in the America south of United States , from Mexico to Argentina and Chile with exception of Brasil , Guyana, French Guyana, and Netherlands Guyana, Jamaica, Bahamas and Haiti, are descendants of spaniardas, blacks from Africa and the native cultures who lived in those territories before the arrival of Christopher Columbus like the Aztecs, Mayans and Incas amongst other tribes and natives cultures.
Nobody who is from the invention named "Latin America" is a true latino.
The true latinos are the italian people who are originally fron the region named Latium that is where is located Rome since the ancient times.
In United States of America, the true latinos according to the true concept, are the "italians-americans" who migrated from Italy more than 100 years ago and their current descendents who are part of what is called also the "anglo whites" population in America. There is more latin blood in those "anglo whites" who are mixed with the italians than in anybody from Mexico, Cuba, or Puerto Rico.
I do not know why americans persistently call hispanic people as latinos , and hispanic people also let anglo whites to call them latinos.
Why so much ignorance and lack of knowledge about something that american anthrophologists in the universities do not want to explain to all the students in the so call "Greatest nation in the World" ????
Isn't that controversial?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 PM

145 posts, read 609,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natecolcher620 View Post
I took a look at this post out of curiosity, hoping that I would see some kind of decent answer to the original question...I was wrong.

I was raised in Wichita and moved to Garden City for my last year of high school. In my experience, the local schools are well staffed and well run, and they provide a good education, and there does not seem to be any kind of racial preferences. All students are provided with the same environment for learning, and the same materials. However, becuase of the local conservative religious influence from the people who impliment the public school system, the curriculum is somewhat restricted. The schools in Wichita were much more open-minded and students were able to ask more questions about the material being taught.

As far as violence...Garden City has a very low scale of violence when compared to place like Wichita. There are few REPORTED rapes, few REPORTED murders, and very few REPORTED home invasions. Typically, Garden City is a very safe place to raise a family--my wife and I are raising two children in Garden City.

Having said that...I should let it be known that there has been an increase in petty and non-violent crime in the past year or two.

As far as law enforcement...our local police department has a tendency to profile citizens, not by race, but more by appearance and by the company we keep. If you wear your pants a certain way, wear your hat a certain way, or stand in groups outside of a rock show and you're all dressed a certain way, it's considered "gang related activity" ...the police here have a ball with these things.

I will agree with previous statements about gangs in Garden City. The loose arrangement of groups of friends who call themselves "gangs" are somewhat of a joke around Garden City. Gangs here try to give off the impression that they have ties to important people or other groups, when in reality, gangs here are very small scale and MOSTLY non-violent. After growing up in Wichita, a city whose gang activity is basically small scale when compared to other much larger metropolitan cities, Garden City is a definite decrease in potential danger from gang activity.

Our population in Garden City is predominantly Latino\Hispanic. (I'm never sure which term is more politically correct, so I'll use both.) Most locally owned businesses are Latino owned, a large cross-section of our teachers and our law enforcement and our legal system are Latino. Our city and its administrators (most of whom are Latino\Hispanic) host a Cinco de Mayo parade every year, and Hispanic heritage is celbrated and taught in our schools.

There are people of many "races" living in Garden City. People can try to analyze this and say that it's because of the meat packing plants, but there are a multitude of occupations held by people of all "races" in our city. Most people get along most of the time here, and when problems occur, it is rarely racially motivated.

Having said that...Garden City is an agricultural-based community. There is a good sized population of "good 'ol boys"....if you aren't familiar with this term, it's a nicer way of saying "red-necks" or "farm-boys." Unfortunately, some of the local population of "good 'ol boys" likes to use what they call "patriotism" to justify some forms of racism--not formal, institutionalized racism--more like underhanded, behind the back kind of racism. It usually comes in the form of comments made as you walk away. It's usually very childish, and it usually includes the phrase "this is America, and I was born here!!", like it's some kind of badge or reward.

Overall, I like Garden City and I think that it's a safe place to raise my children. Racism and general crime is low. The cost of living is not un-sustainable, and my wife and I are able to live comfortably on less than $30,000 income per year.

I agree with this statement. My daughter and husband live there. Work hard. Keep your nose clean.. it is all good.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:16 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
There is much racism in Garden City, KS. The Chevrolet gearheads hate the Ford gearheads, and vice versa. They both like to modify their classic cars and trucks and race each other on U.S. 83, and sometimes with disastrous consequences, like fiery crashes and stuff. Every now and then you'll get a Dodge gearhead from Dodge City coming over and riling everybody up, and that's when the races get particularly gruesome. Like this one time, a guy in a Challenger got into a big pileup with a bunch of old Camaros and Mustangs on U.S. 83 north of town. (There was even a Chevelle or two in the wreckage.) By the way, that's how Dodge City got its name, because all the Dodge gearheads gather there on the weekends and rev their HEMIs and stuff. The owners of the local diner don't mind, though, because they get good business.

So anyway, yeah, lots of racism in Garden City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas