Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 26,753 times

Advertisements

Anybody working as a USDA food inspector in the Beef plants in or around garden city , Liberal or Dodge City? I want to know more about the town's and what type of life to expect if I am assigned there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe01 View Post
Anybody working as a USDA food inspector in the Beef plants in or around garden city , Liberal or Dodge City? I want to know more about the town's and what type of life to expect if I am assigned there.
//www.city-data.com/forum/kansas/592459-do-dodge-city-meat-packing-plants.html

Check out this Kansas thread it be of help

Old 04-23-2009, 09:45 PM

6 posts, read 26,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/kansas/592459-do-dodge-city-meat-packing-plants.html

Check out this Kansas thread it be of help
\
Thanks, I found some useful Info on Dodge City Kansas

Old 06-03-2009, 12:08 PM

25 posts, read 91,837 times
Pepe01,

Have you already been assigned to Dodge City with USDA. I worked for USDA here for 6 years and quit to take a job as a Fab.Supervisor but after a while got tired of all the problems with that job and didn't want to go back to USDA here so I put in for a USDA job in Greeley Colorado and that was the best thing I could have ever done, there is just no comparison. I just got tired of the personnell issues here and how the supervisor was creating such a hostile environment for some of us, some of the inspectors like it here and some hate it, either they aren't from here and hate the area and some hate the job, its hot,dirty work. Both plants rotate shifts monthly unless you can find a day trade or if you want to stay on nights that would make you highly sought after cause most inspectors want to stay on days. Just come and see for yourself. The pay and benefits are pretty good, thats the reason I went back.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:00 PM

25 posts, read 91,837 times
Pepe01, if I were to choose either plant here in Dodge I would go to Cargill, its a lot nicer than National Beef especially the kill floor where you would be if you are coming in as a GS-5 or GS-7 online food inspector. Cargill has a bigger kill floor than National and it doesn't make the job any different but especially on the head chain you have so much more room to do your job especially if you get behind on your head inspection due to dull knife, etc. and other inspectors will generally step back to let you catch up since they have so much more room. One thing you can count on is it being hot as hell on the kill floor from may to september and you get really dirty with mostly blood.
At National Beef you will have a Galen Rankin as your immediate supervisor, Cargill has Chris Fetters as supervisor. Have you been to orientation in Lawrence kansas of yet, you may already be an inspector here as far as I know. Anyhow I wish you the best of luck in your career with the USDA.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,945 times
Default shannonx

shannonX I think I know who you are.

Long drive from Greeley to Melbourne.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 10,136 times
Ok, am also relocating to Dodge City with USDA, now I need some answers for this. How long is the orientation and where? Good place to rent a house (3/2) and I can consider up to 1 ~ driving. Its the north side of Dodge City still a good place to live? Does NB runs 3 shifts? any other helpful information wil be appreciated. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas