Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM

4 posts, read 15,992 times

Advertisements

I am writing with questions about real estate agents as I am not sure what the protocol is in my situation.

I am going to be looking at different towns for a property to buy. Because not all agents are familiar with the real estate in every town....is it okay to just talk to one agent in each town? I know that agents often want to sell property and can sell property in any part of the state---BUT how familiar are they with every town? And it cannot be convenient for them to be traipsing hundreds of miles to show a house.

So, my question: Is it okay to have a different agent from each town I am considering moving to? Would I be offending the agents? Also, if Blondie Bumstead had a listing with Bumstead Properties, and I fell in love with the house and wanted to buy it BUT my agent was Ellie Mae Clampett of Granny's Houses---would Ellie still get some sort of compensation for selling me Blondie's house? I would like to think so, especially if they have been spending time showing me houses...and I end up with one that they are not listing!

What on earth is a "buyer's agent"....?? I always thought that was just the person that you approached to show you houses to buy. Someone said to me that it was not as simple as that....?

What does happen if you DO want to buy a listing from the same agent that is also intent on selling you a property? (Hmmm?) Who is he/she
going to champion? This is another one I have always wondered about.

Any info would be most appreciated....as I try to get back in the real estate loop again.....

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 02:49 PM

25,999 posts, read 22,192,881 times
That's a set of tough questions when you will be working in several areas. My understanding: if my house is on the market and I have an agent, that is the seller's agent and if I were you, not knowing the area, I would not chose the person that is the seller's agent since their major loyalty according to the law is to the seller - say, you decide to use my agent, the seller's agent and you say "I'll offer low at first to see if they will take it but I have no problem going at least $5,000 more - well, expect my agent to give me this information. You really want to educate yourself on this. I wouldn't try using the same agent to look at properties in several different towns - I hope you do your best to narrow down your choices. And, yes, normally there is a split of the sales commission among those involved with the listing agency keeping the lion's share.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 AM

165 posts, read 464,337 times
I think your question would be better answered here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-estate/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas