Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 AM

180 posts, read 526,764 times

Advertisements

I have been researching many cities across the central US and have come across Salina. It seems like a really good fit for me, and wanted some others' opinions. I am trying to place myself between the places that I have the most friends and family, which is Colorado, Missouri, and South Dakota. I am aiming for a city of less that 150,000, and would prefer not to live in a big college town like Manhattan or Lawrence. I have also looked into cities in Nebraska, but really cannot find one that meets my needs.

I have a transferable job in retail, and we have a store in Salina, so jobs aren't really an issue.

I am only 30, but I am quite conservative, and I am not a big fan of the super-progressive lifestyle most of the world seems to embrace. I am a very simple person. So many places are changing too fast, and it is not always for the better. I am looking for a place that is down-to-earth and does not always feel that more is always better.

Salina strikes me as a place that is small enough to not have all of the big city issues, but large enough to not feel like a small town and have mostly everything one would need on a daily basis.

It seems like Salina is fairly safe as long as you use common sense and avoid the wrong crowds.

I would be needing an apartment, and looks like Salina is very inexpensive to rent, compared to a lot of other places.

I cannot drive due to an eye condition. Up until recently , I probably would have passed over Salina because of the lack of public transportation. But now it looks like they started a system back in November of 2008 called CityGo. For a city of 45,000, it really looks good. It runs until 9pm on weeknights, which is simply unheard of for a city that size. Even Wichita does not do that. They also run every 30 minutes, where as a lot of other cities run once an hour. I have lived in several larger cities with less service. I am also used to walking over 2 miles when needed to get to places.

It also looks like most of the things one would need are in one general area near S Ninth. The mall looks decent for a city that size. My job would also be in that area.

I feel I am fairly prepared for the weather. I went to college in Missouri, and also lived in CO, SD, and ND. I know Kansas averages more tornadoes, but no place is perfect. At least the winters should be better than in the Dakotas!

So what do you think? Based on what I've said and what I know about Salina, do you think this would be a place I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:36 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Based on everything you've said, it sounds like a good fit!

I can't imagine living anywhere in KS and not being able to drive - but it sounds like you are quite adept at getting around.

I can't think of anything you're overlooking

Best of luck!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 PM

10 posts, read 65,917 times
Have you thought about Emporia?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:08 PM

321 posts, read 1,213,894 times
Salina is a great town! You'll enjoy your time there, if that's where you decide to move.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinOZ View Post
Have you thought about Emporia?
I am sure Emporia is nice, but my company does not operate a store there.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. It sounds like Salina is promising.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:55 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
I think Salina is not totally un-progressive. It might be sightly more progressive for than you might think for a small Kansas Town, but conversely there are more religious colleges near there than I have ever seen in one area. Between Wichita and Salina there used to be almost ten. Most of the Arts Activities are funded by the city which is rare indeed for anywhere in the country. In that part of Kansas driving is something people do a lot of as a matter of course. Farmers will drive a hundred miles away to pick up some thing from a store that they need and not think much about it. That part of Kansas was settled by Swiss ,German and Ukrainians, and I would suspect Religion is a big part of everyone's daily lives. Although I caution people from over romanticizing the Kansas Lifestyle and having preconceived Ideals what living in small town Kansas is like, Salina is a well planned city with many amenities you would find in a much larger place, Its location at the crossroads of two major Highways makes it a regional center for the part of the plains

Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
I think you will love Salina. You've done your research.

I think it is a wonderful small town. I had friends who lived there when I lived in Wichita and we would visit them regularly.

I have to admit that after my home state of Texas, Kansas is my favorite state. I believe you will be very happy there.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:12 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Salina is great. We lived there for a few years and would like to go back and are actually considering it right now. The services there are good. We always liked the medical/dental services that were available there. Go for it and maybe we'll see you there!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think Salina is not totally un-progressive. It might be sightly more progressive for than you might think for a small Kansas Town, but conversely there are more religious colleges near there than I have ever seen in one area. Between Wichita and Salina there used to be almost ten. Most of the Arts Activities are funded by the city which is rare indeed for anywhere in the country. In that part of Kansas driving is something people do a lot of as a matter of course. Farmers will drive a hundred miles away to pick up some thing from a store that they need and not think much about it. That part of Kansas was settled by Swiss ,German and Ukrainians, and I would suspect Religion is a big part of everyone's daily lives. Although I caution people from over romanticizing the Kansas Lifestyle and having preconceived Ideals what living in small town Kansas is like, Salina is a well planned city with many amenities you would find in a much larger place, Its location at the crossroads of two major Highways makes it a regional center for the part of the plains
It's not that I am not progressive at all. But some places are moving too fast in both their growth and their thinking. A lot of cities have lost their common sense and have this "anything goes" attitude.

By calling Salina a well-planned city, makes me feel even better. Being progressive can be a great thing, but you have to be smart about it.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:47 AM

4 posts, read 14,232 times
Salina is great, ................but never work for the Warmacks or anyone involved with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas