Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,554 times

Advertisements

Sorry for calling it UK. I will NOT make that mistake again! KU it is. And Freestate Brew Pub for lunch.

Thanks all...any improvements to my itinerary are still welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:49 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,554 times
BIG problem. Free State website says they're closed on the 28th...the day I'll be rolling through town. BUMMER! Any other suggestions for lunch in Lawrence?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Do you want to see Kansas or KC? Big difference.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
If you're going to be in Manhattan in the afternoon you should check out Aggieville!
Welcome to Aggieville!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Do you want to see Kansas or KC? Big difference.
The OP made it clear that she wanted to see Kansas - the STATE. Amazing, but yes, there ARE people who know where KC,MO is and STILL think Kansas is a place worth looking at all by itself!!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,668,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg39069 View Post
BIG problem. Free State website says they're closed on the 28th...the day I'll be rolling through town. BUMMER! Any other suggestions for lunch in Lawrence?
La Parrilla is a South American/Brazilian restaurant
LaParrilla

Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
The OP made it clear that she wanted to see Kansas - the STATE. Amazing, but yes, there ARE people who know where KC,MO is and STILL think Kansas is a place worth looking at all by itself!!
That's what I thought. Somebody mentioned the Nelson etc so I wasn't sure. I wasn't going to post any ideas if they were not interested in KCMO. I'll let you guys show off your wonderfull state!

BTW, I live on the east coast now and I defend Kansas all the time now. Everybody know's I'm not the biggest fan of Kansas, but I think it's one of the nicer midwestern states. It just lacks urban centers and leans on MO and KCMO (don't say it doesn't) .

I tell people all the time that KS is much nicer than they think it is. For what it's worth...

Old 09-23-2009, 10:50 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Free State Brewpub. Where you can still feel a hint of the old abolitionist fervor if you close your eyes. Oh, and one suggestion: if you say UK, they will think you mean the United Kingdom instead of KU.

If you want to get a really great t-shirt, find your way to Joe College in Lawrence. My favorite: KANSAS: KEEPING THE WORLD SAFE FROM MISSOURI SINCE 1854. Has a silhouette of John Brown. Ask around, everyone will know where it is (my wife ordered mine online as a present).

My favorite Joe College shirts: COLUMBIA, MISSOURI: KEEPING UGLY WOMEN OUT OF LAWRENCE SINCE 1854.

and

MISSOURI - IT'S ALL RELATIVE (IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN)

Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
\BTW, I live on the east coast now and I defend Kansas all the time now. Everybody know's I'm not the biggest fan of Kansas, but I think it's one of the nicer midwestern states. It just lacks urban centers and leans on MO and KCMO (don't say it doesn't) .
You know why the trees in Kansas lean to the east? Oh, never mind. I don't want to antagonize kcmo.

Last edited by luzianne; 09-23-2009 at 11:32 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg39069 View Post
23rd Street Brewery is good. It's not downtown, it's not Mass Street, but it's a good place to eat.

If you have time, take a walk across campus (you won't be able to drive through; it's closed to traffic on weekdays). It's really a beautiful campus. You could go to the Natural History Museum where Comanche, the only survivor of the Little Big Horn (Custer's Last Stand) is on display. I also love Danforth Chapel which is on campus; nice to just go in there and sit for a while. And right next to it, Fraser Hall, the one with the two flags on top, Kansas and US flags, which you can see from 5 miles outside Lawrence on K10 as you approach Lawrence. It's the highest point in Lawrence. And you could walk a half block down the hill and have a beer at The Wheel. Probably full of fraternity and sorority kids, but you'll be okay.

And if you want to get a T-shirt on campus instead of at Joe College, the Kansas Union is near all the above - Natural History Museum, Danforth Chapel and Fraser Hall. Helium was discovered in the basement of Bailey Hall.

And while on campus, you will hear the Campanile chimes every quarter hour, half hour and on the hour (Westminster chimes), and the steam whistle that lets everyone know when class ends! Now I miss Lawrence.

http://funstuff.ku.edu/ui/media/whistle.mp3

Last edited by luzianne; 09-23-2009 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas