Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:53 AM

197 posts, read 522,144 times

Advertisements

We just got stationed here (Fort Riley) in April, we were stationed in Oklahoma before this and I have severe allergies, sinuses and Lupus. None which bothered me in Oklahoma. But I am miserable here. Is it always this humid in Kansas? My first electric bill was already 350 because of running our A.C. I really hope it isnt like this all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
It has been more humid the last few days than is usual for May; it's usually most humid in late July/August. But it's not the humidity that places like say New Orleans have. I could not stand that place; it was miserable.

What? You have been running your AC? I haven't turned the AC on at all this year. We have an attic fan and we have that on. I wouldn't think Oklahoma would be that much different than Kansas, other than Oklahoma tends to be warmer.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
I has been humid lately. I'd say moreso than I recall it being the last couple of years around this time.

We run our AC enough to keep it between 75 and 78.

Our oldest daughter started having wacky allergy issues here that she didn't have in Fort Worth, TX or Missouri. At certain times of the year her eyes start watering and swelling (almost swelling shut) and we have to bring out the benedryl.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 AM

11 posts, read 31,447 times
It has been humid yesterday and today(I'm in Manhattan). Usually July/August/part of September are the most humid months. The humidity level varies...it's not unusual to get a day or two respite from the humidity, even during the summer months.

What I've found to be worse this spring are my allergies! We've turned our AC on for that reason alone. You'll hear this saying so much, to the point where you'll want to scream...lol;

"If you don't like the weather in Kansas (also heard OK, MO, MI...sub any midwestern/plains state), hang around five minutes and it will change."

Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 AM

321 posts, read 1,213,604 times
Eastern Kansas is much more humid than central or western Kansas. It's not something you'll ever get used to, you just have to find ways to deal with it. I just turned my AC on yesterday, and have it set at 80°, only to pull the moisture out of the house.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:55 AM

197 posts, read 522,144 times
Yes I have my AC on, I have Lupus and can not handle heat and especially the humidity, If you have Lupus then you would understand why my AC has to be on all the time...If you dont have the disease then you wouldnt know...And Oklahoma is MUCH different then here, It has very low humidity , it is dry. Yes I have always heard the saying about the weather...heard it all the time in Oklahoma

Old 05-24-2010, 07:59 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
I lived 20 years of my life in Oklahoma. I'm not sure how you escaped allergies there.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:10 PM

31 posts, read 109,830 times
The average humidity is about the same in Kansas as Oklahoma. I looked at a map showing average humidity and eastern KS and OK are more humid than western KS and OK but roughly constant going north/south. Of course if you moved from western OK to eastern KS (i.e. Ft Riley) yeah it could be more humid there. In Wichita we have had quite a bit of rain lately and humidity always follows as the ground dries but it is not always this way. If you need to run your AC now because of your condition, it is only going to get hotter so your bill will only go up unless we get lucky with some cooler and/or dryer weather. Not sure about allergies in KS vs OK, I know we have our share of allergens in KS Good luck.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:16 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Humid?

Like when it hits 70%?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:31 AM

57 posts, read 153,975 times
Try Maryland, if you think Kansas is humid. Like living in a sauna all summer. Sorry for all those suffering with allergies, let alone lupus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas