Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:45 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,468,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The phrase "laid back" is so over-used when it comes to the islands.
When I encounter people who are "laid back" here, it generally means they have no ambition, are stoned half of each day or they are retired.

People HUSTLE here to get enough money to live off of.
People routinely have two or three part-time jobs to make ends meet.

What are you going to do as soon as (not if) the money runs out?
Every day driving to work I see people with surfboards on their roof racks. How do those people make a living? Credit? Parents? Crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Roa

10 posts, read 39,043 times
Moto, you have no idea what you are getting yourself into. I've lived here for about a year and a half and about 2 hours a week I am able to relax. I can bike to the beach in 10 minutes, but there is little time for that, as I have got to survive. I have to live in a crappy walk-up apartment and watch every cent. I suffer the noise late at night and early morning. If you can not afford $1450 a month, you will live in a relative ghetto. I also have a degree in anthropology, which may be useful in getting a federal or maybe state job here (archaeology), but without planning and preparation, and actually landing a job first (which you won't because they won't hire you unless you've put up with living here at least a year already), you will probably end up feeling worse than you apparently do already. Keep in mind that most who move here move back (unless they're from Asia; this is Asian ESL heaven, as my Korean wife will attest). By all means come here for an extended vacation (with a plan to land a good mainland job in the mean time). That's what it seems you are after, but keep enough for tickets for job interviews on the mainland. Generally, these islands belong to those who grew up here and many (not all) such people will shove that in your face, intentionally or not. If you don't have family here or make over $55k a year, you are screwed. Vacationing here is awesome! Making a life here requires extreme adaptability, conformity, and patience. I have a lot of respect for those who can manage it, but after living in Korea for 2 years, I have to say that it was far easier than living in Hawai'i.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,552,905 times
This may come in handy: Rainfall Map

Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 AM

9,340 posts, read 16,726,092 times
Default Laid Back versus Mainland Living

I believe MotoChristian's definition of "laid back" is different than some posters might think. I think the "laid back" is a less hurried, congested (people and traffic), crowded buildings, etc. mainland type living versus sitting around or lying on the beach. He/she doesn't realize most of the people who live on the islands, unless financially independent, have two or three jobs, just to survive.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 AM

6 posts, read 19,814 times
Thank you OpenD for the rainfall map., this will help with the motorcycle stuff. Roa and Ellwood, thank you for your responses. Yes your some what right Ellwood about the more relaxed pace of life, i probably should have described that more. I think given the circumstances it might be best to come and vacation for a month or so. I think i might try to find some Christians who would be willing to help me crash somewhere on the island for awhile, somewhere i can spend a little bit and tour the island and see what life is like.

I really just want a job that's fun and that i enjoy, the money isn't important to me. I don't live large so i don't need as much as people there. I'm from a country where i was wearing the same clothes days on end and eating 2 times a day.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times
Perhaps you could set up your motorcycle as a camping motorcycle? Dunno exactly how'd you'd do that, but camping is less expensive than hotels. There are also hostels which are a less expensive option. At least until you connect with someone to help out. How about WWOOFing? For several hours of some sort of farmwork per day you get crashspace and one meal. The crashspace and meal vary widely, though, depending on the specific farm.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:35 AM

671 posts, read 1,123,758 times
with those degrees what kind of job do you have now? Or last job that you quit?

Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM

119 posts, read 377,833 times
I don't understand Moto, you said you want to have just any "fun job" you can enjoy, but what kind of work is it? You don't even know what you're going to do because you're not looking yet even if you're looking you haven't gotten it yet.

Assuming you're going to run out of money after few months living in Hawaii, chances are you'll be doing any job you'll hate, if you can find a job at all.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM

6 posts, read 19,814 times
Hotzcats, i was thinking to do that, or just sleep on the beach or something like that. I dont mind sleeping in the open, i just wonder if i would be a target or if there is the possibility of crime on this specific island. Im pretty friendly and very likable, i think ill end up meeting someone who will let me crash at their place as im passing through. Woofing it is also an option, though ive heard horror stories. I have a buddy on another island doing it, it might be an option ill take the first month there if i stay awhile.

Lemming95, right now i work for my dad. I had an injury while in the Amazon and needed surgery when i arrived back to the states. He owns a engineering business so i worked there to gain the benefits to pay for the surgery, and Ive been there ever since. With these degrees, i need higher education to get into the stuff i was interested in, but i don't really have a passion for them, just a heavy interest and i knew i could get a degree quick and easy.

Eksotia, im just looking for a job i enjoy waking up to. Doesn't have to pay well, just enough to cover my expenses. I want to try it out, live somewhere for maybe a year and see how i like it. I have people back home who would send me money if i had no other option and needed to leave, in fact they beg me to come back home but i don't enjoy it!

I think right now a month trip might be my best bet. im going to tour the usa via motorcycle and see where i end up and if i can make the trip over to hawaii

Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 PM

263 posts, read 1,007,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoChristian View Post
Eksotia, im just looking for a job i enjoy waking up to. Doesn't have to pay well, just enough to cover my expenses. I want to try it out, live somewhere for maybe a year and see how i like it.
And here is where the problem lies. People who have not been to the islands, who have not tried to live there, do not know that they often need TWO jobs to cover their expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai