Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,430 times

Advertisements

Hawaii is the last place to come to especially with no money. You have to be rich to live here. The place is ridiculously expensive and the wages are very low. You need two to three jobs here. As for your education, please! It's not what you know, it's who you know here, They don't give a damn about your college degrees. In Hawaii, they will gladly pay you from $9.00 to $10.00 an hour. The only good thing is the weather, that way if you are homeless at least the weather is nice. Do yourself a favor, find some where you can make a good salary and the cost of living is cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 03:43 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,448,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Plus another factor in keeping prices high and wages low is pressure from the imported population. Folks are willing to move to Hawaii and work any job they can find just to live here so employers can offer low wages and find someone to take the job. There are also a lot of folks who want to buy property in Hawaii who have jobs in other places that pay a lot more as well as being in a lower cost of living area so they can afford to pay a lot more than the folks working locally. That drives the cost of housing up which increases the local expenses and makes it even more difficult for local folks.

If it wasn't so difficult to live here, there would be a whole lot more population here and the folks here are already living on somewhere around 85% imported everything. Price of shipping is going up so it's gonna get even tougher.
Hey this is what I've been saying.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TALKSTORY View Post
Hawaii is the last place to come to especially with no money. You have to be rich to live here. The place is ridiculously expensive and the wages are very low. You need two to three jobs here. As for your education, please! It's not what you know, it's who you know here, They don't give a damn about your college degrees. In Hawaii, they will gladly pay you from $9.00 to $10.00 an hour. The only good thing is the weather, that way if you are homeless at least the weather is nice. Do yourself a favor, find some where you can make a good salary and the cost of living is cheap.
So true. Hawaii is the only place I've ever heard of that people are more interested in where you graduated HS than if you went to college.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 PM

355 posts, read 964,759 times
I'll take it that the OP did move to HI, but is now homeless with not internet access?

OP, we need an update!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 AM

1,019 posts, read 590,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoChristian View Post
I don't want to live large, a small place to stay with simple to no immentities is fine. A laptop with internet access and my motorcycle is just about all i need really. Not using drugs, not retired either but im not looking to come to Hawaii to work hard and save, i want to work a little bit to suit my needs and to enjoy the island and the culture there. I'm very laid back and friendly and was hoping to build strong friendships there. So, i just need enough cash to get by, did this answer your question? If i could find a job teaching in a school, that would be great or maybe something suited to the tourist as id imagine there's always a demand for that. Ive worked in business development and public relations for an engineering company.
And the Hawaii homeless problem prepares to grow by 1.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 AM

1,019 posts, read 590,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Can you tell me why that is? Hawaii should be a place where a person can work just ONE job and make enough to pay for a decent standard of living. If I lived there, I'd be a big time union organizer, as well as getting a petition going to dramatically raise the min wage - what is it now, same as the mainland? Imagine if the min wage was $15 an hour, with all jobs required to be at least 20 hours a week, so everyone can get the state-mandated health insurance (or is that 30 hours?)

I'm just getting a bit peeved reading about how hard it is to "make" it in Hawaii, as if it's a 3nd world country or something. I urge all residents who work or wish to work in Hawaii to demand MUCH higher wage levels, as well as better working conditions (like plenty of time off to go surfing and enjoy the beauty of the islands, etc).

Remember folks, Hawaii is supposed to be paradise on Earth, not some crappy backwater where people have to work 2-3 jobs just to get by. That is just so wrong, on so many levels.
It will always be that way because as someone said in another thread, Hawaii is NOT business friendly. No business = no wealth. Japan dried up years ago as a big-time source of tourist $$$.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM

209 posts, read 722,293 times
From looking at the recent posts on this topic, I was just curious how it is that all of you were able to successfully move to Hawaii, but it seems not many more can. . Like I said...just curious.

Aloha!
Kelly

Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 AM

159 posts, read 367,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
From looking at the recent posts on this topic, I was just curious how it is that all of you were able to successfully move to Hawaii, but it seems not many more can. . Like I said...just curious.

Aloha!
Kelly

Aloha Kelly, see Kailasmom's quote, think she hit the mentality of many "successful" movers who post on here. Ruby
BTW, I love the name of this post, I think you should start your own blog with your tips and adventures. I've read a ton of stuff on making it on a budget on the Big Island, but not so much about Oahu. You would have loads of fans, you are so kind not to have the "Now that I've moved to Hawaii, I wanna lock the gateway to the islands behind me!" mentality, and yes, I do understand the difference between that and legitimate warnings. I just think you've done a super job with researching your move, and I wish you much happiness, and look forward to sipping a mai tai with you in a few months!"

Old 06-21-2011, 12:27 PM

209 posts, read 722,293 times
Aloha_silverlining:

What a fantastic idea about a blog. It would be titled "Help! Moving to Hawaii/No Plan, No Job. . Many people have done it and some do make it. It's all a matter of how bad you want it.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 PM

159 posts, read 367,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Aloha_silverlining:

What a fantastic idea about a blog. It would be titled "Help! Moving to Hawaii/No Plan, No Job. . Many people have done it and some do make it. It's all a matter of how bad you want it.
Let's hope there would be some planning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai