Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 PM

941 posts, read 1,970,580 times

Advertisements

Here's a blog post that touches on the WWOOF opportunities, and others in less regular situations:

Working on the Farm | A Kauai Blog

It also mentions how there are lots of people moving through these farm jobs. But as Vaedrem said in this thread, a kid would probably not make it possible. Which is why you are looking for a commune of sorts.

Now, I'm not very familiar with the "alternative scene" on Kaua'i but I haven't heard of any open commune where people are living together. That is mostly over since the days of Taylor camp and Valley House (70's). I'm sure there were other experiments since then, but not any prominent ones. Every now and then, I hear about a group wanting to start something, but again, as Vaedrem says, you're expected to bring real capital, usually to buy your share of the land. But I don't know of any having gotten off the ground nor any currently existing.

The only thing I hear about is families in precarious situations hitting hard times and moving to the beach or forest. This is where those with kids suffer.

No judgement on alternative lifestyles and philosophies for raising kids--my family is not mainstream in many ways, but I do think what other posters are saying is that moving kids around, with high risk of not being able to settle can be hard on them. I look at my kids (currently not schooled), and they do best with a home space for playing, a routine, and a social group of peers.

Job-wise, unemployment is up everywhere at all levels, so you'll be competing against a lot of locals at all skill levels for very few jobs. Look on the Kaua'i craigslist to get an idea of the job market.

But in defense of the other posters, there are really some people who come to the islands with various dreams, ideas, and get into a pickle. The person I know living at the beach, a friend of a friend, is starting to wear out his welcome at my friend's house, because my friend has to make ends meet at well (and raise a family, etc.).

Yes, you could live in Hawai'i and make your dreams come true, but you have to understand the consequences if it doesn't work out and the chances of that happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
But in defense of the other posters, there are really some people who come to the islands with various dreams, ideas, and get into a pickle. The person I know living at the beach, a friend of a friend, is starting to wear out his welcome at my friend's house, because my friend has to make ends meet at well (and raise a family, etc.).

Yes, you could live in Hawai'i and make your dreams come true, but you have to understand the consequences if it doesn't work out and the chances of that happening.
When I was on the 'Big Island'.

I met a Canadian mother of two. She believed in gems, auras, new age, etc., and just the general goodness of people.

For whatever reason, things didn't work out, and she was living in a tent in the forest with her two kids. While she was out with her kids, someone came into her tent and stole her money and their passports. So, she couldn't even go back to Canada.

She seemed to have a ton of issues and problems. But on top of that, she didn't have anyone to contact back home, and just seemed kind of in limbo, homeless in a tent with kids. It was also a forest she wasn't suppose to be in, so I remember she seemed quite stressed about that as well.

She seemed like the type that just 'knew everything would work out'...and she kept talking like she thought she was 'meant to be in Hawaii'. Maybe for her, it was working out, despite living in a tent in the forest with kids. But seeing the kids, and thinking they weren't getting education or quite a few other basic needs being met, I couldn't be so sure about that!

Old 10-27-2011, 12:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,960,905 times
Maybe I'm to blunt in the previous posts - I'm trying to be realistic.

Hawaii is a wonderful place. I'll never leave.

Visit it first. Do more than vacation. Can't stress that enough.

Have 6 months salary saved - at a minimum. If you have kids, 12 months.

Have a backup plan to go home - wherever that is.

Research rent and expenses.

Have a plan whether it works out or not.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:38 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,081,755 times
Hmm, TigerBeer, your post reminded me of a story a friend told me about hitchhikers in Puna. This was five or six years ago before we had any sort of public bus service on the island. He said he'd see the same folks out hitch hiking all the time. At the beginning, they'd be bright and shiny, happy and bouncy. Give them six months to a year and they'd be drab, skinny and all dirty looking. Eventually, they'd not be there anymore, but he didn't always know where they went. He talked to one during the bouncy stage who had just moved to the island "to live in paradise" and had all sorts of plans of getting a job, etc. I suppose, though, these were folks who moved over here without enough money for transportation, so they weren't exactly the upper level imports. Maybe they did finally find a job and that's why they weren't hitch hiking anymore, too. My friend didn't know, but he found it interesting to watch how they changed over the months. He couldn't think of any who improved over the time he watched them, they all generally seemed to go into a decline.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,606,507 times
What a small world. I'm pretty sure the Canadian woman and her kids that Tiger Beer mentions lived next "door" to friends of mine. They worried about her, but were just getting by themselves and couldn't really help.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
What a small world. I'm pretty sure the Canadian woman and her kids that Tiger Beer mentions lived next "door" to friends of mine. They worried about her, but were just getting by themselves and couldn't really help.
Whatever happened to them? I wonder.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:26 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,529,395 times
$10,000 is simply a few months living on either island - and why in the world would you bring a child into a woofing environment? That's like child abuse?

Old 10-30-2011, 12:30 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,960,905 times
"That's like child abuse?" Yes, it is!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2011, 04:22 PM

11 posts, read 92,033 times
dum de dum.. I have enjoyed reading this thread.. and am thankful for good advice.. I have to say that again to re-iterate what I said before I would not be interested in LIVING in a WOOFing situation along with my daughter, who will be eight at the time of move by the way.. I was just inquiring about if there were such communities on Kua`ai.. I would like to go, volunteer, do a weekend, learn about sustainable living.. I AM NOT one of those hippies who believe in " gems& auras" who is looking to bring her child to live in a tent.. LOL.. But enough defending myself, I realized thats pointless everyone will develop their own opinion no matter what you say or try to make them think.. Anyways. That being said..
I have inched my way towards the dream in a few small ways since last writing here.. My best friend, the one who is from Kau`ai originally and who has been back visiting Hawaii a few times since being older is now living with me and is planning on coming with me out to the islands.. We also have started playing with the idea of picking up some Hawaiian language as well as teaching my child. It cant hurt..
So Yeah, I think everything will work out. Money, jobs, help from friends and lots of determination.. Thank you for all the insight.. though

Old 11-13-2011, 09:44 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,081,755 times
Ask your Kauai friend for advice on how to fit in on the islands. Having family and friends available will make a huge difference to making a go of it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai