Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 06:29 PM

649 posts, read 3,447,735 times

Advertisements

It seems like almost everyone in this forum is on Oahu or the BI. What, they don't have road runner on Kauai? Where are you folks? I've got a mess of Kauai-specific questions!

Anyone into the age-group swimming (USA Swimming) scene, again, preferably on Kauai? There seem to be two teams, Swim Kauai and Mokihana. I'd love to chat with someone familiar with the teams and the whole swimming scene.

Last edited by Sweetbeet; 11-09-2007 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: wanted to add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:32 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,948,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Anyone into the age-group swimming (USA Swimming) scene, again, preferably on Kauai? There seem to be two teams, Swim Kauai and Mokihana. I'd love to chat with someone familiar with the teams and the whole swimming scene.
Have you wandered around their web sites? There are some phone numbers and email addresses.

products (http://www.mokihanaaquatics.com/mokihana/pages/about.html - broken link)

Swim Kauai Aquatics - Links (http://www.swimkauai.com/links.htm - broken link)

Old 11-11-2007, 12:39 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,463,720 times
I live on Kauai but I'm not a swimmer!!

Old 11-11-2007, 01:00 PM

HankD - yeah, I found the websites. That's why I wanted to talk to someone who might have some first-hand info or impressions. Actually, we're going out for two weeks in Feb. and I plan to check out the teams then; I was just wondering if there were any swimmers here, from Kauai or other islands, who might have a feeling about the teams. Like here in NY, we know that some teams are more "competitive" than others, some coaches are tougher than others, some teams are more snobbish, stuff like that.

Mar0 - hey, you're one of the first ones I've found on Kauai! Whereabouts do you live? Do you have kids? Born and raised there, or a transplant? My sister moved out there with her daughter in August, and they're doing great. Still living in temporary housing, but looking for something more permanent (first it was school and job, now housing is the main focus). We're going out for a visit in February and if all goes well in my job search, we'll be moving next summer. We are looking at something on the east side, say from Anahola down to Kalaheo, because our kids are going to Island School in Puhi. (My sister is also teaching there.) Of course we're looking in Wailua Homesteads, all around Kapa'a (Kapa'a Homesteads is a nice area too), Koloa; I like Kalaheo but I think she would rather be farther north. She likes Kilauea but it's too far north for me! We are not sure what we want for housing, we need at least two separate dwelling units (i.e., two kitchens), maybe three (ohana studio for grandma would be nice), we want to buy (not rent), maybe build (I was looking at bamboo houses), and we don't have a TON of money. Anyway, nice to meet you and sorry for rambling.

I get the idea that Kauai is considered kind of "the sticks" (i.e., very rural) of Hawai'i. Do you agree?

Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,948,627 times
Quote:
I get the idea that Kauai is considered kind of "the sticks" (i.e., very rural) of Hawai'i. Do you agree?
My son lives there, and he and I own a Vacation Rental house there. I visit.

It's pretty quiet, but absolutely beautiful!

Hank

Old 11-12-2007, 10:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,463,720 times
Quote:

Mar0 - hey, you're one of the first ones I've found on Kauai! Whereabouts do you live? Do you have kids? Born and raised there, or a transplant? My sister moved out there with her daughter in August, and they're doing great. Still living in temporary housing, but looking for something more permanent (first it was school and job, now housing is the main focus). We're going out for a visit in February and if all goes well in my job search, we'll be moving next summer. We are looking at something on the east side, say from Anahola down to Kalaheo, because our kids are going to Island School in Puhi. (My sister is also teaching there.) Of course we're looking in Wailua Homesteads, all around Kapa'a (Kapa'a Homesteads is a nice area too), Koloa; I like Kalaheo but I think she would rather be farther north. She likes Kilauea but it's too far north for me! We are not sure what we want for housing, we need at least two separate dwelling units (i.e., two kitchens), maybe three (ohana studio for grandma would be nice), we want to buy (not rent), maybe build (I was looking at bamboo houses), and we don't have a TON of money. Anyway, nice to meet you and sorry for rambling.

Aloha!

I am actually a newer transplant but I absolutely love it here. I am young- in my early twenties- and moved here after I graduated in May. But I have so many friends that I really feel at home here and because I work in the hotel industry, I feel really well informed about the island....

As far as housing is concerned, because it is just me I live in a studio in Kalaheo. I live on the mountain side, so basically its the boonies, but it is so pretty, I can't even tell you. Because I work in Poipu, it is a great location for me.

If your kids are going to go to Island School, you might want to live closer to the actual school because traffic is horrendous. From Kapaa to Lihue there is consistent traffic jams every morning and afternoon, and it is really frustrating. I guess if your sister is working there, she would know and she could take them....But Island School is def. one of the best on the island, and I know a few people whose kids go there. They will love it!

Because your housing requirements are pretty specific, you might want to consider building. I can't think of anyone I know who lives in the type of house you are describing, let alone rents one.

Anyway, Kauai is def. rural....I don't know where you are moving from, but it is still hard for me to adjust to life without any clothing stores (besides Macy's, but who wants to spend those prices??). Prices for food items don't seem that outrageous to me. You can buy chicken for 99 cents a pound and lettuce for the same. Costco has the same prices here as on the mainland, and you can have the best and cheapest fruit of your life. So its not so bad. But since I am young, it is also wierd only having a few bars, no nightlife, etc. But the people are so amazing that it all makes it worthwhile. I honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else due to all of the truly wonderful people I know.

Anyways, at time you will feel like you are living in 50s and a lot of things may surprise you...but it is such a great experience!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:32 AM

The more I learn about Kauai, the more I'm convinced that it's really a LOT like Ithaca, NY - where I live now! Lihue is about as big (well, maybe a LITTLE smaller) than the city of Ithaca, and the rest of the island is kind of like the areas all around Ithaca. Very rural, quiet, beautiful scenery...

OK, there's no big University there (and we have two, Cornell and Ithaca College). But the tourists are a lot like the college students - they are there temporarily, don't know their way around town, add a bit of color and a lot to the economy.

We don't have much by way of stores, either - one mall, a small business district downtown with boutique-type stores, and some big boxes. We joke about how if you want something, either every store has it or, more likely, none of them do. They all seem to have the same things, and NOT have whatever it is you need. For better shopping we can go a few hours drive to NYC, or Rochester - you can go to Honolulu.

Kate (my sis) has told me all about the traffic, she even timed the drive to Island School from several different parts of the island, at different times. Her commute (she's now in Wailua Houselots) is about 25 minutes, leaving home at 7:30 a.m., I think she said. Since I don't know where I'll be working, that makes it more difficult to plan for the commute(s). But since I currently have a 35 minute commute (20 miles) to work, and we are about 20 minutes from my son's current school (with no good bus service, that's a LONG story), I figure Kauai won't be too much different in that regard. And my Prius will be great for 'stop and go' traffic!

We don't care about nightlife, maybe like to see a play once in a while, that's about it.

I keep hearing wonderful things about the people on Kauai, and of course the natural beauty - two of the things that brought us to Ithaca in the first place. But now the winters are getting to be a real drag, I am just yearning for a better climate. And perhaps a chance to do something different, career-wise - maybe start my own legal practice? Or at least practice in a different area of the law.

This board has been very helpful. We are now trying to get more of a handle on the housing situation, AND on our own needs/desires in that regard. Kate is talking to real estate agents and looking at properties and land. Thanks for your comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai