Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM

16 posts, read 116,643 times

Advertisements

Aloha. My girlfriend and I have been living in Los Angeles for many years but want to make it back to her home -- Kauai. Could anyone give us a realistic idea of the cost-of-living for Kauai? Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 33,490 times
Default It depends on how you live

Kauai can be ruinously expensive to live on, or not so bad. Housing is the most critical thing; many people share housing (often with family) to be able to afford it.

Ask yourself, what do you need in life, what do you want from life? Kauai is rural and kind of laid-back; early-to-bed-and-to-rise; not a shoppers' paradise. If your girlfriend's from here, she knows. Does she still have family here? They'd be the best source for info.

What skills would you bring? What attitude?

Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 PM

Default Mahalo

Mahalo for the response.

Yes, we do have family in the islands and have asked them, but this forum gives us a chance to get a broader view. Always best to gather as much information as you can.

We both know the islands, people, and community well. We live simply.

As for rent, that is one aspect which probably -- thankfully -- won't be an issue for us. We are instead hoping to find out the general costs of other living expenses -- food, energy, gas, health care, unexpected costs, etc.

Last edited by kai.pacifica; 04-22-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,950,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai.pacifica View Post
We are instead hoping to find out the general costs of other living expenses -- food, energy, gas, health care, unexpected costs, etc.
Here's the ad for this week's specials at Foodland on Kauai:

Welcome to Foodland.com

And though the Times Supermarkets are only on Oahu, maybe this will help:

Times Supermarkets

and here's a shopping guide from the on-line edition of the Honolulu Advertiser:

http://www.shoplocal.com/honoluluadvertiser/home.aspx

Don't forget that there is now a Costco on Kauai.

Hank

Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM

Default Mahalo

Mahalo for the links. Yes, we try to shop farmer's markets and costco as much as possible. How are the utilities on Kauai?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Mahalo for the links. Yes, we try to shop farmer's markets and costco as much as possible. How are the utilities on Kauai?
I have a three master bedroom vacation rental on Kauai that is occupied about two thirds of the time. In 2007 the averages per month were:

Electric: $124
Gas: $114
Water: $65

Hank

Old 04-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Default Mahalo nui

Thanks for the info.

So, you rent a vacation home on Kauai, yes? Which part of the island? How has that worked out for you? Nalani and I have thought of doing the same.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

So, you rent a vacation home on Kauai, yes? Which part of the island? How has that worked out for you? Nalani and I have thought of doing the same.
I've been doing this for eighteen years, and it has worked out well. My son and his wife (who live in Princeville) and I own the house. He and his wife keep the house looking great, and I try to keep it full.

I think that starting now would be extremely difficult. To buy a comparable place would take from four to six times what we put into ours (we bought the lot and built the house, designed specifically as a vacation rental), and we only make a bit over our total expenses each year.

The house is in Princeville.

Aloha,

Hank

Old 04-26-2008, 11:58 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,313,663 times
Hank! I just clicked on your homepage for the first time and looked closely at your website. The house is lovely! Our last few "family vacations" have been here on the Big Island, with my SOs relatives renting a place in Puako...but I might try putting in a good word about your place before plans are made for next year. (The family is growing and there is a new baby--not us...another branch of the family(!), so next year we will need more space--and it might be nice to explore a different island for a change!)

With aloha,

Cynthia

Old 04-27-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Hank! I just clicked on your homepage for the first time and looked closely at your website. The house is lovely! Our last few "family vacations" have been here on the Big Island, with my SOs relatives renting a place in Puako...but I might try putting in a good word about your place before plans are made for next year. (The family is growing and there is a new baby--not us...another branch of the family(!), so next year we will need more space--and it might be nice to explore a different island for a change!)

With aloha,

Cynthia
Thank you, Cynthia. I hope we can help.

Hank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai