Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM

21 posts, read 154,570 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering retireing in Kauai in 2 years. My big concern are the cockroaches. Can they be controlled by exterminators? We have a problem with black widows where we live right now (Nevada) and we have them spray the foundation outside every 3 months and it works.

I am not a fan of bugs and don't like to share my house with them. Does anyone know about this? kcsride
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Well, I think the biggest problem would be those 4 foot long cockroaches that bite, and then perhaps you die!!! What a nuisance! Oh wait, those would be rattlesnakes and they live in Nevada, nevah mind!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:10 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,904 times
When I first moved into my current apartment I had a HUGE problem adjusting to the bugs that lived with me! Unfortunately, my place had been vacant for about a month, which probably encouraged the bugs to invade.

Anyway on my first few days I saw probably 10 or so roaches, then the second day there I saw 2 centipedes and on the third day I had a cane spider in my shower.

Now, I can't handle bugs at all so adjusting was a huge problem. I ended up taking almost every precautionary measure to kill the bugs and make sure they didn't come back. I also have issues with geckos and try to keep them away too.

These days I still have a few of the big roaches, which I am slightly better at dealing with and tons of little bugs. It's just something you try not to think about the deal with when it comes up. Meanwhile, those first few days I drank a LOT of wine and complained about it to all of my friends here, who just laughed at me and asked me what did I expect?

Its the price you pay to live here and honestly, there is nothing you can do to really control it....

Old 01-28-2008, 11:19 PM

Don't mess with the Mo'o, geckos, that's just beggin for it. And what, there's less bugs per square mile on the mainland than there are here in Hawaii. Maybe you should reconsider your move, go back to Nevada, deal with the black widows, snakes, tarantulas, traffic, etc.........Or rent the movie "Joes Apartment", great for you cockroachophobics.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 01-29-2008, 12:24 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,017 times
don't plan on getting rid of all the bugs. just won't happen! as a homeowner, i am more concerned about termites than anything else.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:56 PM

Yea, da cockaroaches might eat your food, buzz round your head, attack the geckos, but at least they won't eat your house!!!!!!!!! Termites, swarming kind and Formosan, (doubt if they have a green card) can really cause problems. I've worked on projects where the termites were already in the lumber before the house was framed. And, if you're in an older single wall home, say, like out the windward side of Oahu, maybe Kailua, YOU'RE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (joke, maybe), when you tent that house may as well juss leave the tent up for good, and wear scuba gear when inside. But seriously, termites are a problem over here, don't know how much damage they do dollar wise every year, but it's gotta be up there.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 01-29-2008, 05:57 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,017 times
sorry, already told you i'm no beach bunny so don't own any scuba, snorkel or bikini garb even though i live in kailua. lol. had the house tented in 2006. supposedly, it's "guaranteed" for 5 years. they buggers came from our neighbor's christmas berry tree which is right next to our cottage. well, after we tented, the termites went right back over to their house. they just installed sentricon.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Smile insect control

I kinda think that insects on the islands are about the same as anywhere else in the U.S. When buying a house in Kauai would it be better to buy a house on piers and poles vs. concrete? I think that they are building homes better and more termite resistant then the older models.

When we go out there in May, we will talk our realestate gal and get the latest info.

When I was a kid, my Dad was stationed in Kaeohe in Kailua. Don't remember too many roaches, just had fun and want to go back to that life style.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 PM

Do you live in Kauai? Sounds like you know the islands well. Thanks for your insight and knowledge.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Being in a trade that involves close interaction with various critters, ranging from venomous snakes, nasty arthropods ( scorpions) unpleasant webspinners and ornery mammals like skunks and such, one of the first questions I asked the owner of the plumbing company that wants me on Kuaui was what to expect under houses on the island. He laughed and told me after what I've been into here ( I am also in NV) I'd be in heaven. Oh Yea! I can deal with getting bit or stung if I know the critter ain't gonna land me in the ER waiting for an IV Crofab dose. I've been stung by scorpions more times than I can count and tangled with Black widows 5 times. Not pleasant, but it goes with the job. The centepedes over there are not deadly ( unless you have an allergy) and the spiders and snakes aren't either. (Large and ugly but basically harmless) I'll take the roaches over the scorpions any day too. Our creepy crawlies here are far more unpleasant and not having to worry bout tickin' off another skunk is a big plus as well. I'm thinkin' I'll be a happy plumber working in Hawaii. Aloha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai