Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by merced mullet View Post
I'm surprised someone hasn't started or investigated WWOOFing on the island of Ni'ihau...and this time I'm somewhat serious...
Besides the fact they get very very little rain, outsiders aren't welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 04:02 PM

160 posts, read 287,889 times
I went to Ni'ihau in the 90's as part of a USDA Forest Service integrated pest management/pest detection team...they have a very interesting vegetation management situation there.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:21 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merced mullet View Post
I'm surprised someone hasn't started or investigated WWOOFing on the island of Ni'ihau...and this time I'm somewhat serious...
I don't see it.

The number of visitors to Ni'ihau is controlled, and mostly consists of helicopter day-trippers. The idea of allowing people to live and work on the island long-term who are not Hawaiian-language-speaking Native Hawaiians seems contrary to their history and practices for many decades.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:41 PM

75 posts, read 226,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I don't see it.

The number of visitors to Ni'ihau is controlled, and mostly consists of helicopter day-trippers. The idea of allowing people to live and work on the island long-term who are not Hawaiian-language-speaking Native Hawaiians seems contrary to their history and practices for many decades.

And the Robinson brothers will probably not allow it.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:23 PM

160 posts, read 287,889 times
I guess that's why we were flying in and out of Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge to Ni'ihau daily for a week!

Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,444 times
Ni'ihau is forbidden... Privately owned island you can't even land a boat there

Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,432 times
I am also a single homeschooling mom with an older child and have done several years of research on living (short-term or long-term) in Hawaii, specifically Kaua'i. I just recently completed chemo for lymphoma and am quickly recuperating but feel the need to finish my respite in Hawaii this winter for as long as I can. I already had some replies to my CL ad. .... .... Anyways, was wondering if the original poster ever went to Hawaii and how she did??? Hope she checks in here-

Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
The original poster hasn't posted in nearly 3 years.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
Default Hi! I just wanted to give my support.

I just thought I'd give a friendly message. I think people really get too comfortable with anonymity and say demeaning and criticizing remarks to you, because they have pent up anger about things going on in their own lives that they feel they have no control over and. it's so much easier to let it out on someone else, in order to exert a feeling of control over your life. Obviously, you are really brave to post and be subjected to these people. You were simply looking for a grown up, objective, or at least rationally subjective advice. I just want to say, "More power to you! Life is an experience and it's your's to have. Bravo for dreaming and planning a great future for you and your child!" Perhaps those respondents just got used to living by the nay saying code and can't stretch their minds around possibilities. Dreamers that plan and then take action are the ones who make incredible things happen and your's and your child's life may become more incredible because of it. Best wishes and sentiments, whatever you choose. Remember there are plenty of us out here in the world, who choose to support others, not tear them down and presume a self righteous stance. Peace!

Old 01-17-2015, 12:29 AM

13 posts, read 11,569 times
I am also going to Kauai to help a single mother friend of mine with childcare sharing. I work in hospitals contracting all over the US but doubt if I will find the same there with all the local competition. With that being said, I figured I would give you my info to help network and what not. My friend who lives there and I are two more single moms and I believe we NEED to network to help each other. I am a very hard worker but will definitely be saving enough money to leave if I have to. My friend has her 10 year old son in sports, homeschools and goes to the YMCA a lot. She knows a lot more about things for kids to do. Anyway, message me if you're interested in meeting more mommies when you're there... LOL (I'm new to this forum so I think we can message, right?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai