Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:31 PM

11 posts, read 91,927 times

Advertisements

HI All.. I posted on here a few times a month or two ago, with some questions and had great feedback from people.. My topic today is about the reality of moving to Kauai instead of Hawaii and be able to find self-sustainable farms, communal living, woofing opportunities, etc..
I know I could go to the big island and find these things, I have made a few facebook/CL friends in the Puna area and I may do that next summer but my heart is crying for Kauai.
No, I have never visited either, I do not have the financial means to just go visit first and then decide where I want to be. I will be bringing a child with me and will be coming with 10,000 $ and my best friend as well. I am torn between putting money down on land on the big island and creating a little peice of home for us there, since it is so much more affordable.. or just winging it on Kauai , maybe renting for a few months, and trying to find the path that is mine in the place my heart is calling for.

I absoluely know that this is my future. It is building and becoming more demanding as time goes by, soon the voice will be screaming in my head to just GO.. and I will have to ramble on. I would like to be as prepared as possible. I have read extensively about many things pertaining to this question, but advice from folks who know it is the best way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 12:32 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
Please stop listening to the voices in your head and start listening to the advice people who live here have given you.

If you can't afford to spend a thousand bucks for a cheap vacation, you can't afford to move here.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:21 PM

219 posts, read 764,211 times
Stay put.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:37 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
How can your heart be crying for Kauai when it hasn't been there? How do you know you'd prefer Kauai to Hawaii? And you're bringing a child into all this? It's easier to live on less money on Hawaii than Kauai but it's still not easy in either place. Do you have any continuing source of income? Any hope of getting a job? Buying land and being able to grow food and perhaps make and sell things at a market is much better than just winging it, but $10K isn't going to go that far on building a house, either. It's a start, but it's not a lifestyle. Whatever you do, get round trip tickets - just get a really extended return date so if you have to you'll be able to get off the islands. These islands are 2,500 miles away from most anywhere else and when you crash and burn here, there's nowhere else to go unless you've been prudent in securing an out before crashing.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:10 PM

206 posts, read 466,360 times
Most wwoofing farms will not let you come with a child, thankfully, as it would be a bad situation for everyone involved, and possibly illegal given child labor laws. Most good communes want you to contribute significant amounts of money, you can't just show up with nothing. You should spend a few more years saving up money, and have your partners do the same; and also build up skills beforehand in how to grow vegetables and fruit trees, how to compost, build up soil, if you plan to live off the land. As it is, you'll have an extremely difficult, bad time, and the last thing you'll be thinking about is which island has better beaches.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:32 PM

wow.. I dont know why the bad vibes, or what you all thought I was trying to say.. That I just want to come to Hawaii and be a bum?? Did I come off that way? I was only asking about the sustainable farms and such because it would be learning experience I would like in order to eventually do something on my own land one day. But not now. Not right when I arrive. Sometime in the future with knowledge and financial means to actually do it. I was inquiring about buying land because it is affordable on the big island, but I would be living in town and working and paying rent while trying to work my land into being a place I could live on, with a shelter but no, I was not thinking of "building a house" or anything. I would be taking time and slowly going at this with patience and money.
I was not thinking of moving to a piece of land and living under the trees trying to eat the fruit off the trees with my daughter in tow. LOLZ..
I KNOW where I want to go because I have been researching and planning this move for over a year, talking to people, making friends( well online aquaintances ) out there, looking at photos, maps, information from the vacation/visitor perspective as well as trying my darndest to get info from the town/city actual living in the area I want to live in and find out details, what to expect and what is feasible. I look on CL all the time, I look here, state websites, I even look at local grocery ads!

Now I say Kauai is where I want to be because although I know I may be able to find cheaper rent in HIlo, or more jobs in Honolulu.. I just dont feel right about any other place, it really is like something is drawing me there. I think the comment about "voices in my head" was witty however it made it seem as if I were crazy.. although I stated the voice is screaming to go- its of course not literal. I am being compelled to leave and to leave soon, however, within two years for sure.
I wanted to know if there was a a few places on Kauai that were commune-like as there are all over the big island because, as I said, I would like to go there and have that experience.. maybe do volunteering, stay for a week, something like that.. I just havent really found any on Kauai.
And I know I will not be able to afford to buy land on Kauai. So yes, I am torn.
Another footnote, one of my closest friends is from Kauai, was born there, and although he is not Hawaiian, ( he is half black half white ) he has a Hawaiian name, and with his mixed complexion he sorta looks the part anyways he is also longing to go back one day he hasnt been there since being a kid, beside a few teenage visits, so asking him advice isnt really helpful.. but anyways Im thinking of trying to bring him along, and if I did- going to Kauai would be best for us I think.
I am currently half through a community college degree and would need to live near a college.. I know there is one in Lihue so that as well is a bonus.
I am currently in insurance sales , but I have experience in bartending, hospitality, customer service and food services so I think that I may be able to find a job.. but how hard is it really to get a min. wage cashier job at the supermarket.. or to be a waitress in a hotel resturant? ARE these the jobs people arte talking about that are so hard to get?? Or is it the higher paying professions that are difficult to find work in?? Is there a high turnover rate in the hospitality business because of people like me who move here and then cant make it and take off??
I think 10,000 is plenty enough money if I am planning on just moving to Kauai paying rent ahead for 6 months and looking for work, worst case scenario is that I dont make it, dont like it, and just spent 6 months living in paradise and going after my dream.. whatever, Ill go where ever from there.

I dont know what most think, but I am not leaving the family womb for the first time, nor is this the first time I have went somewhere with nothing and made it work.. I really have no family, except for my dad who ((if I absolutely NEEDED it would spring for a plane ticket for me & my daughter to get out of somewhere if it came down to it )) but I dont depend on him, or anyone else. I have moved to , lived and made in a number of places, Arizona & Minnesota & Michigan namely.. And please do not think for a second, that I am ""dragging a child"" into half -cocked ideas.. where as some may spend years plodding and planning and dotting all the I`s.. I will take time to make sure its possible and then jump in and do it, and just beause you have a child does not mean you have a to live a certain way, especially does not mean that I have to raise my daughter according to the expectations of mainstream society.. I am not doing her an injustice by raising her to be free thinking, aware and open minded. She , at only 7 loves the life that she has been exposed to. It may not be stable according to routine and finances. But we are stable in our minds and stable in our love. I am stable in my character and convictions even if I may not be stable in where I live. And I can say that I have met some people who may have had the same job& home for ten years, but are nutty as squirrel ****.. lol..

Anyways.. It just seemed as if I was being regarded as some dumb air headed hippy who was going to come out here with polly anna dreams and ruin her childs life because of it.. maybe I am exaggerating a bit.. BUT I am on these boards often, I love reading everyones posts, I see the same names in alot of these threads and I do not want to make the wrong impression on people whose opinions and advice I respect. .. Sorry if I did not elaborate more fully on my plans in that above post.. I had written alot before, and didnt feel like getting into background.

And by the way I can afford to take a 1000$ vacation.. I was really meaning Id rather save that money for the move- because I believe it would cost more than 1000$ for me & my daughter to come out and stay a week.. I may do that, I get 3 weeks paid time off this year and although we have planned a vacation in Feb to Disney, I may stay at my job another year and if so, I will come out in the summer to Hawaii. But I still may save up my money, and just spring out and move next June! who knows.

Anyways thank you for the advice on the two above posts.. I guess I came off a bit defensive, and wanted to explain myself.. but my question wasnt answered. Does anyone know about Kauai having communes and sustainable farms and such?? And really I think the heart of my concern is what to expect living on Kauai as far as working, jobs, town life, will I stand out being white? I know Honolulu is more diverse and my company is in Honolulu, but being a field agent selling insurance on the island doesnt sound like something I would be very good, at.. Im being realistic here, I would guess that someone local, and native would have better luck selling medicare than would I. So I would be looking for another profession most likely.
And I know I can live on min. wage as long as its full time, or two part times and as long as at least one of my friends comes with me to help with with rent & bills.
My total monthly bills here are 1400 a month, not including groceries, car, ect.. thats just rent & utilities, so paying 1000 a month rent in Lihue and paying utilites would work with two people making 8-10 buck and hour . - Or is that naive to think it is possible?/

Old 10-23-2011, 01:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Or is that naive to think it is possible? YES!

It is really sad to read posts like yours when a child is involved - Think of your child first focusing on a good education and childhood before making a crazy trek to Kauai, a place you've never even been to.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:10 PM

What in the world makes you think that my child is not having or will not have a "good" childhood?? Its really sad to hear from people likeYOU who make off the cuff judgements about people being bad, disfunctional, less-than.. when they live lives that you dont understand. My child is happy, well- adjusted, loved, friendly, smart and wise beyond her years. I would much rather that she experience real life and different people, cultures and opportunies.. so as she ages she will have a greater perspective on life. Instead of raising her in a small town , going to the same school her whole life and knowing all the same people, usually of a similar race and background.. and then go out into the world and be shocked, be naive, get taken advantage of, not know what to expect!!

AND why is it sad that I want to move to Hawaii with a child??
Is there something wrong with your state, that makes it a bad place for children? I would think those born and raised there would take offence to that... we all try and want whats best for our kids. but we do not all agree on whats best.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
It is sad and not responsible with a child to move to one of the most remote places on earth with no job, no money, no prospects for a job, have never even been to the place and be naive to think that is in the best interest of your child. It is totally selfish on your part.

And for the comment about the people born and raised here - I suspect what they will be most unhappy about is hard earned wages being taxed, myself included, having to provide you public assistance due to your voices in your head.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:41 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I can't directly answer your question about WWOOFing opportunities on Kauai since that isn't my island but there are a few observations which may be of use to you.

It takes awhile to get established on an island and the land prices on Kauai are such that it was one we were not ever able to afford so I'm suspecting it wouldn't be in your price bracket either. If you do choose Kauai then you'll be establishing yourself somewhere it isn't likely you'll be able to afford land. If after living on Kauai for awhile you decide you want to establish yourself in Hawaii, you'll most likely then be moving to a different island where you can afford land so you'd be sort of starting out all over again. Not quite as bad as being a mainland malahini, but starting over nonetheless. Kauai is a bit more insular than some of the other islands, but it is a lovely island although it has less "stuff" than either Oahu, Maui or the Big Island.

It is probably tougher to get established on Kauai due to smaller economy and less options more so than anything else. At the moment, there aren't many jobs out there. Is there any sort of employment you can bring with you?

I think full time minimum wage brings in just under $1K a month. That's pretty meager considering there will be child care costs in there somewhere, too. To make it work, expenses will have to be cut to the bone.

How's the public transport on Kauai? You'll probably not want the expenses of keeping a car, which also means you'd need to rent somewhere near to work. Dunno how you're gonna afford to buy land working minimum wage and supporting a child. I dunno, it seems a pretty tough row to hoe but maybe you can bring more wage earners for your household and make it work? Although that means you'd need to be able to find more jobs as well.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 10-23-2011 at 02:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai