Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:37 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdo View Post
Scratch that for the first time just last month talking on the phone with a new dance teacher she asked me if my girls where haole. So once in 4 years is nothing and it was not in a derogatory sense as well.
But why would she ask? How is that a meaningful question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
You got it right there and can use it all over the world, not just Hawaii. It's not a haole thing; it's an a-hole thing.
Laughing until I !

Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,252 times
I'm SOOO glad that this whole 'haole' thing is finally getting some air time here on the forum, it seems as if it never comes up, and I think this would be a great time to set matters straight. First, there is no such word as 'haole' in the Hawaiian language, period. The word, 'haole' is actually a word of English origin, that was 'borrowed' by the native Hawaiians, and, unfortunately, went through some rather drastic changes in it's transition from English, to Hawaiian, and then back to English. The story is actually quite simple. As we all know, the missionaries began arriving in the Islands at the beginning of the 19th century, and were followed very closely by shiploads of whalers. Needless to say, the two groups behaved in very different manners, and the local Hawaiian population noticed this disparity. One thing is very certain, the whalers, when ashore, and in the middle of a long journey, had a tendency to imbibe quite a bit, and acted in a very boisterous and loud, drunken, fashion. When one sailor/whaler would run into another, both being drunk, and not knowing one another's names, they would jokingly yell out,,, " HEY!!!!! A**HOLE!!!!!! HOW YA DOIN!!!!!!" The other would more than likely reply,,, JUST GREAT!!!!! YA A**HOLE!!!!!! HOW ABOUT A BEER!!!!!" And on it would go. Po'o Kukae, one of Prince Inunuis' most trusted advisors, took note of this name calling among the whalers, and when asked by the Prince how they, the whalers, should be called, Po'o Kukae answered "They call each other "a'ole. That is how they should be called." It should be pointed out, that Po'o Kukae, a very intelligent man, was born with a cleft palate, and had some trouble pronouncing the 'S' sound, this trouble was further complicated by the fact that the very sound 'S' was new to the Hawaiians, and this further complicated matters. When Prince Inunui was approached by one of the missionaries, Alexander Baldwin Cooke Spreckles Atherton, and asked how they referred to the newly arrived whalers, Prince Inunui responded, "We call them 'ha'ole, that is how they are called in the Hawaiian language." It should be pointed out, that Prince Inunui was suffering from a slight case of the flu at the time of this conversation, (he died the following day), and his ability to pronounce anything in any language at the time was greatly diminished. So, from that time forward, the whalers, and the missionaries, were referred to as ha'oles, which, of course, was actually meant to be 'a**holes, but, in that strange twist of fate,,,,,,,,,, I'm sure Jonah K will back me up on all of this,,

Just the facts

Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I'm SOOO glad that this whole 'haole' thing is finally getting some air time here on the forum, it seems as if it never comes up, and I think this would be a great time to set matters straight.
Your exegesis of the Hawaiian language never fails to leave me breathless at the range and depth of your... ummmm... billowing clouds of... ummmm... well... whatever they are.

Or as you've taught us all to say, Okole Maluna!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:27 PM

15 posts, read 49,686 times
I lived on Oahu for a few years, and never really had an issue with it. From what I understand it's mainly certains areas and cities to stay away from. Not sure if it's a respect thing, or what. I had a Hawaiian friend from Nanakuli (one of those areas us white girls are told to stay away from) and she said she went home to visit (she had moved to wahiawa) she saw a white girl get beat up for basically walking and looking at some local girls.

If you're talking about the respect thing, and not wanting to **** off/step on anybodies toes, it's best to learn the customs. IE, take your shoes off before you go in someone's house, etc. Generally I find that most locals are open to being friends with the 'haoles' but judge them MUCH quicker than they would a local they've just met.

Also, haole is most DEFINITELY a racist term. Yeah, ok basically it means not-a-local but you will never see a Japanese or Fillipino or hell even a Mexican called a haole. Only the white people get called haole. But it's not as bad as some other racial slurs, and it really depends on how it's used. Like I had a few local friends who used it more as a description, "Hey, so I met this haole girl and she was real cool".

Old 07-22-2012, 07:21 PM

124 posts, read 431,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Wear a big smile, be warm and accepting, and don't be pushy.
OpenD Wrote:

"....and don't be pushy"

Amen to that. And absolutley don'l tell people how much you think you know about Hawai'i. Shutting-up and listening can be an incredible virtue and asset.....even when you absolutely 'know' the information you are hearing is mind-numbingly (is that a word?) incorrect.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 PM

25 posts, read 48,318 times
This post seems to be skipping along for some time so I will jump in with my thoughts to the original idea as I read it.

How should one act...like the writer I have also lived around the world and visited may cultures. I have found the good and the bad in each to include racism. I have found myself biting my tongue many times to avoid perpetuating an already bias opinion. I have found most bias opinions were not based on individual experence but rather a cultural or collective experence or perception. I have also found that economics play heavy into this kind of negative attitude. Many threads give historical facts to justify bias, many of these historical facts are regrettably true but have been distorted.

Understanding the historical reasons behind negative attitudes directed towards any race is not good enough. Attitudes are changed only by ones actions, walking the talk as I heard it said. While living in Hawaii I heard about this racism but can honestly say never really experienced it first hand, I had a conversation about this with a friend yes he was a "local" Somoan to be specific he said that it was most likely that I was a big haole boy lol, We laughed then he said it was attitude.

How should one act is easy there is no magic to it, respect gets respect. When you visit someone's home, you would not walk in kick their cat would you... You would be respectful of their home and act as a respectful guest unless you lack home training, then all bets are off. My point is treat others with respect and be respected in return act like an ass and be treated as an ass.

I don't care what your race what your culture is how much money you have I will treat you with respect until you give me reason not too its that simple.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
How should a haole act? Like a decent human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: