Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 7,303 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how often threads like this pop up, as I am new to these forums after having kicked around in them for information about various locales across the globe, but I figured I would give it a shot posting to see if I could get some advice from people with more experience under their belt than myself.

I am 19 years old, just reached the age where the world really opens up and the small bubble of high school has faded away. I graduated in 2011 and was set to attend University Of Vermont to play D1 hockey in the fall. When I got to the school I really wasn't enjoying myself, so I left and decided to try my luck at another college. I promptly left that one as well, so I began to wonder: maybe it isn't these colleges, it's college in general. Now, my reasons for leaving weren't due to a lack of drive and determination. I didn't want to "drop out" for the sake of lazing around and avoiding any responsibility, I just simply found myself wanting more than what was offered to me at school.

From a young age I've wanted to branch out and explore, always having planned to live abroad; and anxiously awaiting when I'd finally get the chance to. College was always the plan, so the dream seemed far off, but lately I've been wondering if just hitting the road and travelling would be the worst thing to do. My goal is to become an outdoor adventure photographer/filmmaker; and as a surfer I am drawn to telling the stories of that culture. Such a craft requires talent, skill, and dedication; and no there is no doubt a necessity to learn. I have begun to think that college might not be the best place to do so, however. I have been working to line up internships with various surf filmmakers, and think that living and working in Kauai (along with continuing to work on my art) might be the best decision for me. A place in which I could surf/film everyday might actually be more beneficial to me than time spent in a classroom.

I just wanted to post on the forums because, while I have done lots of research about alternatives to college, I am not familiar with what life is like in Kauai first-hand (challenges, etc). That's where i'm hoping some of you could come in. Possibly provide some information on, not only what it would be like for me moving to Kauai at such a young age, but possibly some wisdom regarding the decision to make such a move instead of attend college. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinx View Post
I have been working to line up internships with various surf filmmakers
Are there really that many surf filmmakers on Kauai?

I thought they would be few and far between except for the surf competitions in the winter.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Are there really that many surf filmmakers on Kauai?

I thought they would be few and far between except for the surf competitions in the winter.

I wasn't referring to solely Kauai, there are quite a few filmmakers on the islands as a whole, though. Kauai's draw is more the access to surfing, therefore allowing me to film what I love on a daily basis

Old 07-27-2012, 07:24 PM

181 posts, read 586,827 times
First of all, you really have to go. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. You are 19 with no dependents. What do you have to lose? I was about your age when I first went to Kauai and I had a great time.

Just make sure you bring money and spend it slowly and wisely. Its expensive and jobs are scarce, but you should be able to find something part time and rent a room with some people.

Kauai has waves, of course, but when people talk about surf filming, they are talking about the North Shore of Oahu, not Kauai. Hanalei Bay on Kauai's north shore has great waves, but its not like the North Shore. Kauai is a nicer place compared to Oahu so you should certainly go to Kauai first and if things don't go as planned for your film career, you could always try Oahu.

Kauai does have a community college so its not like you couldn't attend classes if you feel like you should be going to school.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,899 times
There is no reason in the world to lock-step yourself into college at such a young age. You are young, healthy, no dependents, drive, a dream. If you really want to go to college in the future, it will be waiting for you. As long as you have a safety net in case your plans turn sour (could be your savings, could be your parents bailing you out) you have little to lose. And lots to gain. Just make sure you have that safety net "just in case". Cagary has words of wisdom for you.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Before you jump on a plane 5,000 miles - perhaps the people you should be speaking to are your parents regarding your hesitation to go to college and move to places like Hawaii or New Zealand (by the way, one of the hardest places to get a visa). If you don't get along with your parents - then someone you trust like an aunt or uncle - brother/sister, etc. Not some anonymous poster - basing a decision like this based on what someone tells you here isn't very bright.

I think you are overestimating the number of filmmakers here whether it be in Kauai or in Hawaii in general. Weddings - sure (as a weekend gig to make a few extra dollars) - surf filmmaker - I really doubt people who live full-time in Hawaii make a decent living at that except for maybe a very select few.

The unemployment rate in Kauai is running at least 8% by the way. If you get a job - and I mean if - min wage $7.25/hr is a very real possibility.

If you can afford to move here - certainly you should be able to afford to come to Hawaii first and check out employment and the cost to live here. This move and go for it mentality doesn't make sense to me - come here for 2 weeks - or at least temporarily for a month and see if it is feasible - if it is, then move.

Just coming to Hawaii for a dream and hope it works isn't a strategy.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:39 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Aloha Zinx.

My first suggestion, since this is a big decision, is that you spend as much time as you can reading through past discussions on this and the other Hawai'i forums. There's a ton of information already posted that will give you quite a depth of relevant information if you dig in.

In the process you'll probably notice that a lot of the advice to inexperienced people with no money and no job who say they want to move to Hawai'i falls into one of two camps... there are people here who put a high value on taking risks in life who will tell you "Go, go, go!", while there are other people here who are risk averse, and who value safety more who will tell you "No, no, no!" Neither is completely right, neither is completely wrong, they just have very different perspectives on life. In your particular case, I find myself somewhat in the middle.

Quote:
When I got to the school I really wasn't enjoying myself, so I left and decided to try my luck at another college.
Interesting. Seems to me you were unclear on the concept. Who told you the point of going to college was to enjoy yourself? Just checking.

Quote:
I promptly left that one as well, so I began to wonder: maybe it isn't these colleges, it's college in general.
Or, not to overlook the obvious, maybe it's you. I don't mean that in an offensive way, just that personal learning styles vary. You may not have chosen those schools wisely, or picked a course of study that was a good fit for your interests or your learning style. In any case, don't slam the door on formal education. You may find, after a bit of banging around in the world, that you want or need to get back into a college environment in order to advance your updated goals. Take a break from it now, sure, but don't rule it out completely for the future. Maybe it's just college NOW that is the problem.

Quote:
From a young age I've wanted to branch out and explore, always having planned to live abroad; and anxiously awaiting when I'd finally get the chance to.
Yes, I can understand your impatience. I also understand your lack of clarity at this point, posting the exact same message on the New Zealand forum and the Europe forum, casting about for something, something, something. It's OK to be restless at your age, and undecided about which direction to head. So this is the part where I want to say to you "Go, go, go!" Go run around for a while and be 19 and find out whatever you find out about being in the world on your own. Don't be surprised if it changes your perspective.

Quote:
My goal is to become an outdoor adventure photographer/filmmaker;
That's great, and I support people going after their dreams. But you really should know that it's an extremely competitive field, one that's very hard to make a living at, and that many long-time pros are dropping out of and changing careers completely, because the money has really dried up. Part of that is the sucky economy in general, and part of it is due to the fact that everyone has a camera phone today, so photography has become hugely devalued as a profession, and people are unwilling to pay much for photos. It's easy to take photos, or make films, but it's hard to sell them. One of my friends is a brilliant photographer, extremely talented and well trained, and everyone raves about her work. But after seeing her income drop precipitously over the last few years because the market has deteriorated so much, after 20 years as a pro she recently went back to school and earned a Master's Degree in another field so she could change careers and start having some money for a change.

Quote:
and as a surfer I am drawn to telling the stories of that culture. Such a craft requires talent, skill, and dedication; and no there is no doubt a necessity to learn. I have begun to think that college might not be the best place to do so, however.
Possibly. On the other hand a couple of years of good film school can probably teach you more practical information, across a wider base of knowledge, than you are likely to get from a dozen years knocking around in the business.

Quote:
I have been working to line up internships with various surf filmmakers, and think that living and working in Kauai (along with continuing to work on my art) might be the best decision for me.
That's good, and it shows initiative. But if you do manage to pin down an internship, it's likely to be an unpaid position, so you'd also best be figuring out how you'll earn the money to live on while you're doing that.

Quote:
A place in which I could surf/film everyday might actually be more beneficial to me than time spent in a classroom.
I think this may be the most telling sentence in your post. You seem to have a romantic notion of what making your living as a surf/filmmaker would be like, one which simply has very little basis in reality. I've been in and around photography and the film industry most of my life, and I can tell you from my experience that for every hour you spend out on that beach shooting, you'll probably spend at least 5 hours in pre-production, 10 hours in post-production, and 20 hours or more trying to scrounge up the money to pay for all of it.

That reminds me, the man who was a mentor to me in the field of travel documentaries used to turn out a new film every year, of which about 3 weeks were spent out traveling with a camera in hand. No kidding. But when you viewed one of his films you could easily think "Gee, what an amazing life, traveling all the time... "

Quote:
I just wanted to post on the forums because, while I have done lots of research about alternatives to college, I am not familiar with what life is like in Kauai first-hand (challenges, etc). That's where i'm hoping some of you could come in.
Like I said, read what has already been posted here. There's lots of information in the archives about how expensive it is, and how challenging it can be to earn a living.

Quote:
Possibly provide some information on, not only what it would be like for me moving to Kauai at such a young age, but possibly some wisdom regarding the decision to make such a move instead of attend college. Thanks.
Overall, I think you need to get some experience in the world before you can decide your own best course of action, so let's start with the basics... how are you going to get the money together to fly over to Kauai, and find a place, and get settled, and then live on for a while? And how long do you think that will take to put that bankroll together for yourself?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM

17 posts, read 49,535 times
Most young people with your 'problem' used to sign up for a few years of military service when I was young. You'll get paid to travel outside of the USA, complete with room and board and a bunch of new, potentially life long friends. You'll gain the maturity that you are lacking, all young people under 25 yrs old seem to lack maturity these days IMO/E. You'll be getting free training in a field of your choice (if you have the aptitude for the field chosen) and have money which you can save up to travel on when you get out. At your age 4 years goes by faster than some of your relationships!

Hawaii is known as a 'Vacation State' for a reason....It's quite expensive to stay on longer than your wallet stays full! That is unless you're a trustfund kid, then well, you'll find out how far money gets you in life in the Islands.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 PM

198 posts, read 387,477 times
Open D and Viper make great obesrvations (again). Dropping out of college and moving to Kauai to work two to three jobs, if you can even get one, is not so good for your long term finances.

If you plan on burning a year to surf in Kauai, then go for it. Let your parents know you want to take a year off and go live in Kauai. Just make sure you can go back to them when the money runs out; and it will.

Also, it will be tough for you to make friends with locals, since a) you are now surfing in their spots, b) likely to leave soon anyway, most young mainlanders do and c) taking one of their jobs. You might be real lonely.

Just be realistic, that is all.

I was lost my first year in college too, took a year off and went back with a purpose and even on to graduate school too.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Aloha Zinx.

My first suggestion, since this is a big decision, is that you spend as much time as you can reading through past discussions on this and the other Hawai'i forums. There's a ton of information already posted that will give you quite a depth of relevant information if you dig in.

In the process you'll probably notice that a lot of the advice to inexperienced people with no money and no job who say they want to move to Hawai'i falls into one of two camps... there are people here who put a high value on taking risks in life who will tell you "Go, go, go!", while there are other people here who are risk averse, and who value safety more who will tell you "No, no, no!" Neither is completely right, neither is completely wrong, they just have very different perspectives on life. In your particular case, I find myself somewhat in the middle.

Interesting. Seems to me you were unclear on the concept. Who told you the point of going to college was to enjoy yourself? Just checking.

Or, not to overlook the obvious, maybe it's you. I don't mean that in an offensive way, just that personal learning styles vary. You may not have chosen those schools wisely, or picked a course of study that was a good fit for your interests or your learning style. In any case, don't slam the door on formal education. You may find, after a bit of banging around in the world, that you want or need to get back into a college environment in order to advance your updated goals. Take a break from it now, sure, but don't rule it out completely for the future. Maybe it's just college NOW that is the problem.

Yes, I can understand your impatience. I also understand your lack of clarity at this point, posting the exact same message on the New Zealand forum and the Europe forum, casting about for something, something, something. It's OK to be restless at your age, and undecided about which direction to head. So this is the part where I want to say to you "Go, go, go!" Go run around for a while and be 19 and find out whatever you find out about being in the world on your own. Don't be surprised if it changes your perspective.

That's great, and I support people going after their dreams. But you really should know that it's an extremely competitive field, one that's very hard to make a living at, and that many long-time pros are dropping out of and changing careers completely, because the money has really dried up. Part of that is the sucky economy in general, and part of it is due to the fact that everyone has a camera phone today, so photography has become hugely devalued as a profession, and people are unwilling to pay much for photos. It's easy to take photos, or make films, but it's hard to sell them. One of my friends is a brilliant photographer, extremely talented and well trained, and everyone raves about her work. But after seeing her income drop precipitously over the last few years because the market has deteriorated so much, after 20 years as a pro she recently went back to school and earned a Master's Degree in another field so she could change careers and start having some money for a change.

Possibly. On the other hand a couple of years of good film school can probably teach you more practical information, across a wider base of knowledge, than you are likely to get from a dozen years knocking around in the business.

That's good, and it shows initiative. But if you do manage to pin down an internship, it's likely to be an unpaid position, so you'd also best be figuring out how you'll earn the money to live on while you're doing that.

I think this may be the most telling sentence in your post. You seem to have a romantic notion of what making your living as a surf/filmmaker would be like, one which simply has very little basis in reality. I've been in and around photography and the film industry most of my life, and I can tell you from my experience that for every hour you spend out on that beach shooting, you'll probably spend at least 5 hours in pre-production, 10 hours in post-production, and 20 hours or more trying to scrounge up the money to pay for all of it.

That reminds me, the man who was a mentor to me in the field of travel documentaries used to turn out a new film every year, of which about 3 weeks were spent out traveling with a camera in hand. No kidding. But when you viewed one of his films you could easily think "Gee, what an amazing life, traveling all the time... "

Like I said, read what has already been posted here. There's lots of information in the archives about how expensive it is, and how challenging it can be to earn a living.

Overall, I think you need to get some experience in the world before you can decide your own best course of action, so let's start with the basics... how are you going to get the money together to fly over to Kauai, and find a place, and get settled, and then live on for a while? And how long do you think that will take to put that bankroll together for yourself?

It seems like it probably wouldn't be the best choice in the long run
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: