Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:15 PM

181 posts, read 586,142 times

Advertisements

Years ago as I hiked into Kalalau Valley, my wife took a Zodiac (motorized raft) from Hanalei Bay to the beach at Kalalau.

Is this Zodiac still running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,664 times
I've heard from hikers that they've seen it. But it is operating illegally, and I also read about the park rangers wanting to crack down on the guy. So best not to count on it.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:29 AM

198 posts, read 387,077 times
Holo Holo Charters are doing a Zodiac tour from Hanalei to the Napali Coast but are not landing on the beach. No commercial business allowed to do it (either prohibited or too cost prohibitive). I took the sea kayak trip in august and we were not allowed to stop there.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagary View Post
Years ago as I hiked into Kalalau Valley, my wife took a Zodiac (motorized raft) from Hanalei Bay to the beach at Kalalau.

Is this Zodiac still running?
I believe you are talking about Captain Zodiac. It has not operated for over a decade. There are no sanctioned drop off services available at this time as the state has prohibited such operations from running commercially.

However I do know of a number of individuals who do provide drop off and pick up services to and from Kalalau. They usually are limited to the summer months when surf conditions are more favorable. I will not post specific information in this public group since it may leave these individuals subject to sanctions.

If you leave your e-mail address and dates you want to get picked up or dropped off, I can hook you up with reliable individuals.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 8,508 times
Kalalau backpacker: I am interested in that service. Faerieflutters@hotmail.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,508 times
[email]Faerieflutters@hotmail.com[/email] I am looking for June 30 2013 drop off staying one week. Will pay.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,440 times
Kalalau backpacker: I am, also, interested in that service. [email]mac1959m@yahoo.com[/email]

Thx.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faerieflutters View Post
Kalalau backpacker: I am interested in that service. Faerieflutters@hotmail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepathlesstrvld View Post
Kalalau backpacker: I am, also, interested in that service. mac1959m@yahoo.com
Please leave more personal details, because the authorities don't always pay rewards for tips about lawbreakers without solid information. Thx.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:13 PM

24 posts, read 54,173 times
Why is it illegal to zodiac out to Kalalau Beach if you just want to hike the Kalalau trail one-way back to the trailhead at Ke'e Beach?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
Why is it illegal to zodiac out to Kalalau Beach if you just want to hike the Kalalau trail one-way back to the trailhead at Ke'e Beach?
Due to their fragile ecology, access to certain highly prized sites has to be limited and controlled by a system of regulations and permits. Kalalau Beach is one of those endangered locations, and motorized boats are not allowed to land on the beach, nor even to drop passengers off in the water off shore. The only water access to the beach is in kayaks, with a permit, and those permits are limited.

Unfortunately enforcement efforts are weak, and there are certain individuals who will defy the regulations, and take the risk to use motorized Zodiacs to take people in to the beach in order to make a fast $100. And apparently there are enough people willing to pay for the illegal ride to keep the scofflaws in business, even if the passengers have to swim the last few yards in with their hiking boots and other gear in a waterproof bag.

There's not much that those of us who love the aina can do to stop damaging activities like this, but at least we don't have to look the other way when it comes up.

It's not OK to Zodiac in to locations that only permit kayaking, and it's not ok to kayak in to locations where or when water access is not allowed at all. It's illegal. Don't do it. Respect the rules and get the necessary permits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
View detailed profiles of: