Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 20,062 times

Advertisements

We are currently considering relocating to Kauai. We are looking at a home in Anahola, that we love. However, we have had three separate people make a comment to us about avoiding that area because of issues regarding hard feelings about transplants living in that area. We are not out to 'hurt any feelings', so I'm wondering if it best we look in another area. Any insight/experiences you can share about being a transplant and living in that area? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
I always like to start with the hard data... have you checked out the profile for Anahola here on City-Data?

https://www.city-data.com/city/Anahola-Hawaii.html

A couple of things jump out for me from the demographics. First, the two largest ethnic groups are Native Hawaiians, and "Mixed," with all other groups recorded as much smaller minorities. Other sources show people of at least some Hawaiian ancestry comprising more than half the local population versus being about 10% across the state. Second, only about 15% of the population has a college education, compared to about 30% across the state.

In these two measures, at least, Anahola seems atypical, with a very strong concentration of people of Native Hawaiian ancestry there. And in areas with high percentages of Native Hawaiians it is not unusual to find people who are passionate advocates for the Homelands movement, including ending statehood and restoring Hawaiian nationality. How comfortable you might feel fitting in there is a very personal matter that only you can answer.

My question to you would be, how much time have you actually spent there? What kind of vibe do you get when you shop at the supermarket, go to the beach, walk down the sidewalk? You'll find that many of us on the Hawai'i forums advise against buying property before you've spent time in the area getting a sense of how it would really work for you.

Good luck.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-14-2012 at 11:45 AM..

Old 10-14-2012, 12:42 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,407 times
What OpenD said. No matter where on planet Earth you are considering moving to, it's always best to rent in the area for at least a few months before making a purchase. There will ALWAYS be another home that comes along that you will love, but if this one turns out to make you unhappy, remember...real estate is not a liquid investment.

Perhaps you could rent the home for a few months first? I've learned this week that a few people I know approached realtors to see if people selling empty homes would rent them until the homes were sold, and ended up with a nice rental that way. A nice "try before you buy".

Old 10-14-2012, 09:24 PM

181 posts, read 585,739 times
What OpenD & HiloDiver said.

The Hawaiian Homelands were set aside in the 1920's as areas where Native Hawaiians could go and live as their ancestors did. The idea was noble, but most Native Hawaiians choose to live a more modern life (not that there is anything wrong with that). Many Native Hawaiians already lived in these areas and many more moved in. The thing was that many Asians and even some Whites also already lived in these areas and the US Congress was not about to have these long term residents removed. Neither did they lay down any restrictions on who could buy land in the Hawaiian Homelands.

Anahola is one of these areas. Almost 50% of the residents call themselves Native Hawaiian and another 20% are of "mixed race" which is often Native Hawaiian/ Asian. Whites make up less than 15% of the population and many of these are probably long term Kama'ania. The vast majority of Native Hawaiians have resigned themselves to the fact the Whites are here to stay in Hawaii. However, recent White transplants from the mainland moving in to Hawaiian Homelands areas sometimes is a different matter.

I know that you plan on being very friendly and respectful of the Hawaiian culture, but the fact remains that some locals in Anahola just do not want you living there, period. And if you do move in, they will let you know that you are not welcome. Another point is, "Who lived in the house before you?" Could be a Hawaiian family that fell on hard times and now some Haoles is moving in? I'm sure that there are many Native Hawaiians in Anahola that would welcome you to their community and I'm sure there are examples of mainlanders who have moved in and not had any problems, but I wouldn't live in Anahola or in any other Hawaiian Homeland area.

Anahola is a beautiful area, but I'd keep looking around at other parts of the island.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,407 times
Cagary brings up some interesting points that I wasn't aware of about the history of those particular lands. Indeed, do your homework, stay in the area for a while before you invest your hard-earned money...if it doesn't work out and you can't sell for a while, you are STUCK.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:16 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,871 times
Based on what has been said above, I'd look elsewhere, BUT:

If you decide you want to give it a try, and you are really in love with this house, you could make an offer to rent, AND purchase an option to buy the house. That way the seller gets some money to take the house off the market while you live in it, and you can still change your mind and move elsewhere if you do not feel welcome. You would only be out the $$$ you paid for the option.

You should probably consult a Realtor to get an idea of the option terms that might be looked on favorably by the seller.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Thank you so much OpenD, HiloDiver, HandDfrmSD, and cagary! We have a big decision to make. I appreciate your replies!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:54 PM

I guess I should state that we are looking at purchasing in Aliomanu Estates. I get conflicted reports. Yes, it's in Anahola, but certain people (via different means of communication than this forum) have said "Oh, yea, Aliomanu Estates...no problem there. Thought you meant you were actually looking to live in Anahola town. You should be okay in Aliomanu Estates." I am so conflicted!!!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,272 times
There seems to be a lot of ignorance around the Hawaiian Homelands. First of all, they are not for living "as their ancestors did" as if they would live in grass huts. They are for helping Hawaiians live in Hawaii and perpetuate Hawaiian culture, so there are agricultural lands for growing taro, for example. But the Hawaiian Homelands in Anahola are residential lots with regular houses. Essentially, a person of at least 50% Hawaiian ancestry can apply for, wait (many years), and then receive an essentially free, long-term lease to a residential lot. They have to build or buy the house themselves, with all building codes and permits that apply. They do not "own" the land, so they cannot sell it, so non-Hawaiians cannot buy into it either.

Anahola has several neighborhoods that are slightly separate. The Hawaiian Homelands are on the south end of town, on either side of the main highway. These look like regular neighborhood streets. There is a single road near the beach park that has private homes (not Hawaiian Homelands), some beachfront, the others along the road. In between these two is the beach park and campground, and off to one side is some vacant land. The vacant land attracts homeless, and those might be the source of some burglaries that happen off and on in the beachfront homes (mostly vacation rentals now). The "center" of "town" is the convenience store next to the river and along the main highway, but there isn't much housing right in this area. Aliomanu road starts here but goes north of the river back to the coast. Here there are a string of beachfront and closeby houses, some quite luxurious and some vacation rentals again. Aliomanu road is cut by a stream, and the second separate road curves back inland to meet the highway a couple miles futher north. I think it's in this inland part further north where Aliomanu Estates is located. It consists of a few side roads with large country estates, most of them home to mainland transplants, I would guess.

As mentioned, never buy sight-unseen, and better yet, live in the neighborhood first by renting.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM

75 posts, read 225,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anltx View Post
Any insight/experiences you can share about being a transplant and living in that area? Thank you.
One of the unhappiest transplants I know is unhappy because she purchased a home within a week of moving to the island. She was intoxicated with the seemingly exotic escape to a tropical paradise and thought that it didn't matter where in this new wonder she purchased her home. She was wrong. She would very much like to move to a different area on island, but her house is worth less than she owes on it, so she is forced by the economics of her situation to remain in a place that makes her feel uncomfortable.

Kauai is like every other place in the world; you cannot possibly know whether a place is right for you without testing it yourself. People say it over and over on this forum: rent for a year before you buy. Don't daze yourself with the limiting opaque view you possess from afar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai