Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 AM

47 posts, read 129,762 times

Advertisements

So there was a hilarious episode of southpark on set in Kaua'i where a bunch of condo owners consider themselves Hawaii natives and start a war with the "haole" tourists. Just wondered if anyone saw it and what you thought of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 01:31 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,821,349 times
I haven't seen it yet, but it looks like it will be on again tomorrow night. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,816,250 times
I had wondered how they could do a S.Park episode without offending Hawaiians, and they managed quite well by just limiting the pokes to haole transplants/tourists. They captured well the attitude of some transplants, "I've spent 5 winters here, so I am a native". The Coco Palms references were funny, if you know about Elvis and Iniki.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,899 times
Enjoy! Going Native (Season 16, Episode 11) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

Old 10-22-2012, 03:34 PM

649 posts, read 3,446,673 times
Absolutely HILARIOUS. ROFL funny!! They nailed it in so many ways.

So, how do I get one of those Mahalo Rewards cards?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 PM

13,499 posts, read 9,049,533 times
It was aired in the UK the other day too & having visited Hawaii a few times I must admit I found it to be very amusing & spot on with regards to how some American's act consider themselves to be 'natives'

Loved the Coco Palms Hotel bit too as we went past there & my Mum took loads of photos as she was a huge Elvis fan

Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,687,962 times
Just got back from Kauai, couldn't help but notice the cold shoulder of the local islander people. I've done some reading on the various "homeland" cultural roots organizations that have been sprouting on the Hawaiian islands, seems the local folks who may or may not have their family ties go back aways in the islands have some reservations about the tourists in their midst.

I can't truthfully say that I don't understand the general dislike for those who come to Hawaii with some poorly thought out notions about the local islander populace, trying to be "local" by speaking a poor form of native tongue as an example, or the feeling on the tourists part that these locals are here to serve the "great white" population coming to their town and "helping the economy".

Jokes aside, this growing feeling of resentment regarding tourism should suffice as the proof that Hawaii may be on the road to some kind of socio-political autonomy attempts. It's a nice place to visit but I don't think I need the attitude of resentment aimed at me for trying to soak up some sun, there are too many other places to go where the locals are happy to take my money, with a smile................

Old 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I can't truthfully say that I don't understand the general dislike for those who come to Hawaii......
Hmmm, I wonder if you were staying in a vacation rental. Whether I'm in Kauai - or any other island, I find the workers, especially in tourism to be overly friendly. That friendliness oftens goes away on the homefront where people in Hawaii are very private and aren't particularly thrilled with outsiders.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,821,349 times
Quote:
Just got back from Kauai, couldn't help but notice the cold shoulder of the local islander people.
We spent 10 days on Kauai last year and experienced the complete opposite!

Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,816,250 times
Quote:
Just got back from Kauai, couldn't help but notice the cold shoulder of the local islander people.
Welcomed to the reality of Hawaii. Like everywhere else in the world, you'll find lots of people happy to welcome tourists, and you'll find lots of folks who are unwelcoming of "outsiders". A general observation is that those who are making $$ off of visitors are usually happier to see them around. Those that are in competition, are often less enthusiastic (competition such as, I want to move to your neighborhood and apply for the same job you are trying for, I want to park at the beach and want the same stall you are trying for, I want to vote in elections and try to make my new home more like where I came from instead of me adapting, etc).

Hawaii is an equal-opportunity tourist destination, you'll find all kinds at the end of the rainbow waiting for your arrival. Just like traveling to NYC, San Francisco, or Middletown ~ Any State.

One of the coolest things about the SouthPark episode is that it focused on "new time-share owner" vs "been here awhile time-share owner". The program managed to pull of an episode without even needing to go into the local aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai