Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM

850 posts, read 4,370,773 times

Advertisements

kailua, o'ahu is 72 degrees and overcast and breezy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 02:06 PM

203 posts, read 1,359,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
kailua, o'ahu is 72 degrees and overcast and breezy.
Thanks.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 PM

39 posts, read 160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I'd probably cross the Pacific Northwest off the list. I'm originally from that area and know many that suffered from MS. They claim that the damp, wet, cold climate either caused or made their MS worse.

Here's a brief discussion that took place on the WA forum recently:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ington-ms.html

You'll more than likely have to stay inside most of the year as the coastal areas are wet and cold the majority of the year. Moving inland on the other side of the Cascade mountain range, you'll be getting the extreme winter and summer temperatures.
I had not heard that before. Thanks for the link!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav989 View Post
Thanks.

sorry! didn't mean to get you down. just to let you know, the clouds cleared and it turned out to be a gorgeous, sun-filled and blue skies kind of day. somewhere around 80 degrees.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:41 AM

156 posts, read 806,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
sorry! didn't mean to get you down. just to let you know, the clouds cleared and it turned out to be a gorgeous, sun-filled and blue skies kind of day. somewhere around 80 degrees.
Well ... we all hate you! It's 19 now outside in Philadelphia.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 PM

haters! supposedly, rainy weather is approaching?! we'll see.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,067 times
Hey dadtoscano,

Your post caught my eye for a couple of reasons. Born and raised in Hawaii (now in Los Angeles) and also in the IT/web design field. I am actually investigating ways to move back to Hawaii even considering a 1/2 year there and a 1/2 year in Los Angeles arrangement. It sounds like you are thinking about a working mainly from home so the local job market may not be as big of a concern compared to someone who physically has to go in to a job each day. As a web developer, I find that most of my client contact is through the phone or email and I actually have quite a few clients that are on the East Coast that I have never met in person. It may be possible to develop your client base nationally and not have to rely solely on local business. The time difference will have to be taken into consideration, but may even work to your advantage for mainland customers (your regular work day would end after everyone else has closed shop and you can finish things "overnight" for a client to review in the morning). Of course, the other side of that is their day starts when you might still be sleeping, but that's what voicemail is for :-) I'm talking about what's called "Location Independent" work, and working in your field lends itself perfectly to that.

Good luck and maybe I'll run into you at the beach someday! :-)

Old 02-07-2008, 11:33 PM

181 posts, read 893,296 times
Try looking in SD, it has some of the most mild weather in the country. It is by the coast, but it is dry most the year especially if you go slightly inland. I love the weather in hawaii, but if dampness bothers you it might not be best for your condition. One thing about getting a job in hawaii (my husband also in the techy field occasionally looks)...a lot of employers wont consider you if you are not local. (I dont mean not a local ...I mean if you are not living in hawaii at the time. well good luck, someday I will move back too.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 PM

156 posts, read 806,962 times
From my over 10 years experience software and web development - there are some problem with telecommute jobs:
1. Some times they want to see you in office or they want you meet face to face with client. So you have to be local for company. Very hard to find 100% telecommute.
2. Generaly telecommute jobs pay lower then normal IT jobs. Knowing cost of living in Hawaii ...

Just mine $.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai