Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:58 PM

104 posts, read 171,292 times

Advertisements

I have a home in Kapa'a, Kauai. It's rather large at almost 2000 sq ft living space. My granddaughter, along with her boyfriend and FOUR kids moved in while I was not there without my permission. My son was living in the house, doing some work on it. I guess he felt sorry for them and let them move in. When I arrived after a few months I let them stay until they could find a place of their own. It's the same old story, "we're looking." In the meantime I found tenants who were willing to pay a little less if they would let them stay in the very large family room while they looked for housing. And that's where they live, in one large room where they moved a large refrigerator I had in the garage and using an electric hot plate for cooking. At one time the agreement was they would pay me little every month. That never happened. Oh sometimes she would send me some money, but right now she is about $5000 in arrears. A sum that they will never ever be able to come up with.
Well, it's now been over a year and a half and I can't get them out. I called KPD and they say it's a civil matter. In Hawaii landlords are the evil people, squatters are poor locals who have been exploited by the bad people with money. And thus the authorities, in this case the police, are not interested in intervening. I contacted someone who said he could help. Yeah, if I paid him $10.000.00! So now I want to sell the house but no realtor will list it as long as there are squatters living in the house.
If I go through the courts it will take a lot of time and a lot of money. The squatters have already indicated to me that they will *never* move out, that they "know their rights" HUH? What rights? Evidently there must be some kind of "rights" that you can't just put people out and make them live on the streets or the beach.
A complex issue for sure.
If anyone has any suggestions, I sure would like to hear them.
Thank you
EL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 02:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Let's get some terminology right.

A tenant is a person who signed a lease. If they don't vacate at the end of lease it's a fairly straightforward process in Hawaii to evict. No lawyer needed and low cost. It is a civil matter.

A squatter just moves in a property without a lease. It is illegal to be a squatter in Hawaii. It's trespassing and the police will deal with it.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Let's get some terminology right.

A tenant is a person who signed a lease. If they don't vacate at the end of lease it's a fairly straightforward process in Hawaii to evict. No lawyer needed and low cost. It is a civil matter.

A squatter just moves in a property without a lease. It is illegal to be a squatter in Hawaii. It's trespassing and the police will deal with it.
As I said, I went to KPD. They side with the squatters. They told me it's a civil matter. I suppose that maybe they have other things to do than to go handle an unlawful criminal trespass which is a mere misdemeanor. Misdemeanors are low priority.
As for eviction, yes, it's a civil matter and when the tenants decide to fight the eviction, or just milk every way they can to delay the eviction, it could take months. And money. And the thing is, they know it.
Without a lawyer, how do you proceed?
EL

Old 11-27-2016, 03:38 AM

If there is no lease -

You call the police and say HELP - I've got a trespasser on my property- it's not a civil matter in Hawaii without a lease. Or, change the locks if the police won't really help you.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:15 AM

I think I've already said two times that I DID call KPD. Maybe I need to call again and ask for a supervisor but the officer I did talk to indicated to me that it is NOT criminal trespass because they are family. hmm, using that logic if I kill a relative it's not murder because they're family? lol.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:36 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo View Post
And that's where they live, in one large room where they moved a large refrigerator I had in the garage and using an electric hot plate for cooking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo View Post
I think I've already said two times that I DID call KPD. Maybe I need to call again and ask for a supervisor but the officer I did talk to indicated to me that it is NOT criminal trespass because they are family. hmm, using that logic if I kill a relative it's not murder because they're family? lol.
Trying to evict a "granddaughter, her boyfriend, and four kids" that are allegedly "squatting?" The KPD is unlikely to get involved; however, "Child Welfare Services" might…
Hawaiʻi Department of Human Services -- Child Welfare Services

Old 11-27-2016, 07:51 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Trying to evict a "granddaughter, her boyfriend, and four kids" that are allegedly "squatting?" The KPD is unlikely to get involved; however, "Child Welfare Services" might…
Hawaiʻi Department of Human Services -- Child Welfare Services
Maybe you could cut off the electricity and water. It's tougher to live without electricity and water. Is it possible to sell the property with the squatters in the property. The squatters would then have no relationship with the new owner, and could be evicted.

Also, remove those relatives from any inheritance and beneficiaries from insurance policies. After the squatters are out, cut them out of your life forever.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:20 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Maybe you could cut off the electricity and water. It's tougher to live without electricity and water. Is it possible to sell the property with the squatters in the property. The squatters would then have no relationship with the new owner, and could be evicted.

Also, remove those relatives from any inheritance and beneficiaries from insurance policies. After the squatters are out, cut them out of your life forever.
There are people here who live off the grid. There are people here who live in lava tubes. There are people here who live in old school buses. Do you think any of them care about electricity and water? It's VERY different in Hawaii than Minnesota.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:44 PM

If it's a squatter then it's trespassing and a matter for police

If it's a tenant relationship it is illegal to turn off electric or water.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:07 AM

144 posts, read 103,046 times
In California, if you allow somebody to live on your property for a certain amount of time, they become legal residents whether or not they have a lease. You then have to go through the eviction process. At that point, cutting off the electricity, etc. also becomes illegal.

Don't know if the law is the same in Hawaii, but it would probably be best to start the eviction process yesterday if you ever want to get them out of your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai