Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:01 PM

200 posts, read 1,022,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg View Post
hi! my husband and i are planning to move to kauai at the end of august. we are going with 2 other friends. we are not going into this blind or with un-realistic expectations. we have been to the island many times. each time for at least a month. i lived on the island for 3 months a few years before we got married. but our questions have to do with work. my husband is a painting contractor. he has his own business here in san diego with a few employees. my husband is bringing his truck over and his tools. so i guess our question is....does anyone have any contacts for us? (work wise) i would also like to get some type of job. nothing to crazy. maybe a coffee house or something along those lines. if you have any information let me know!! thanks!
Start up contractors do not make it here. Hawaii is very old school and "who you know" type of business. The shops that are here have been around a long time and are respected among the community. Breaking in fresh in the construction field (electrical, plumbing, landscaping, painting, etc...) just does not happen here. I have seen soooo many guys come and go from the islands attempting to do this. You would be better off applying at the existing shops for a secure position. What experience does he have? We may have an opening....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 01:23 PM
cfg cfg started this thread

10 posts, read 53,367 times
thanks so much for all the information! i guess i wasnt very clear....but my husband doesnt want to start up his own business on the island. he has done that here and is pretty much over it. and we wouldnt want to step on any toes or be in the way of any local business. we want to make friends not enemies! he wants to work for someone as a employee. we actually dont care what kind of job we both get. he doesnt have to paint....hes just really good at it. we will pretty much do anything!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:54 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,946,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg View Post
thanks so much for all the information! i guess i wasnt very clear....but my husband doesnt want to start up his own business on the island. he has done that here and is pretty much over it. and we wouldnt want to step on any toes or be in the way of any local business. we want to make friends not enemies! he wants to work for someone as a employee. we actually dont care what kind of job we both get. he doesnt have to paint....hes just really good at it. we will pretty much do anything!
I think he will do just fine. Someone who puts in an honest day's work for an honest day's pay is usually very welcome! Things may get a little slow for a while, because the tourism business is expected to take a hit from oil prices, but a good worker should come out on top.

Hank

Old 08-14-2008, 02:01 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,900,157 times
Wish you were moving to Maui. Our house could use a coat inside. Oh well . . . .

Old 08-15-2008, 07:11 PM

15 posts, read 89,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari808 View Post
don't be completely discouraged because there are still positions available if you're willing to be flexible and don't require too high of an income.
This translates into: Be prepared to clean rooms while your husband mows the lawn at the golf course.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:06 AM

72 posts, read 316,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aha33456 View Post
This translates into: Be prepared to clean rooms while your husband mows the lawn at the golf course.

At first I appreciated your balanced input, but it really seems like you're trashing Hawaii in every single thread. Was it really that bad for you there?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM
ndm

1 posts, read 2,050 times
i am starting a green building company on Kauai, and have recieved nothing but positive feedback from the locals.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:30 PM

8 posts, read 30,874 times
Did the couple from San Diego move to Kauai?

Old 05-17-2009, 08:01 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,524,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aha33456 View Post
I did that when I was 15-17 years old. Was the best summer jobs I ever had. Started work at 5am, went home at 1pm and enjoyed every sunny afternoon! Plus, the local park district that owned the courses gave all employees free golf passes for the season.

Since then, I mostly worked in large office buildings... Seems like I went wrong, somewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai