Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:03 PM

72 posts, read 346,745 times

Advertisements

I love this song! It always gives me a lump in my throat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 01:12 PM

41 posts, read 214,963 times
This is true, but you can find things like this anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneilrn View Post
People steel your stuff on the beech, break into your property and steel. It is not safe to camp on the beaches.
I camp on the beaches all the time! There is no real danger, especially on the south shore. In Kekaha, I've accidentally left my windows open with my wallet in the front seat for 24 hours, and no one did anything. However, I just came back from the Kalalau, and someone broke into my car and burned my registration, car owner's manual, inspection paperwork, board shorts, but didn't steal anything. So there certainly are some haole-haters, but mostly on the North Shore and Anahola.

Quote:
There are many dangers related to some of the hiking trails and beaches. THere have been people who have gone hiking never to be found. Very unsafe trails above the Napali Coast.

People are swept out to sea just walking on the edge of the beach.
The trails are fine; I just came back from Kalalau, and it was as safe as any mainland trail. The fact is, if you wake up in the morning, you risk death. Some activities are riskier than others, but Kaua`i is no different than the Mainland in that regard. As far as the ocean, yes, Mainlanders who have never been near the ocean need to think VERY hard before turning their back to a 6-foot shorebreak.

Quote:
Kauai is beautiful, but living in a paradise it is not. You must be very rich to live there, and your are very isolated there.
Paradise is what you make it. I love it here, but people need to understand that the income they are used to on the Mainland simply won't cut it here. Basically, Kaua`i is 10 years ahead on the US $ inflation curve, so multiply everything by 3, and you'll have an approximation of real costs. It is no more isolated than any normal rural town on the Mainland; the only difference is that you can't drive to another state.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,223 times
Does anyone have any comments on moving to Kauai with a diabled child? Would it be a good idea to move to Kauia with a diabled child?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:01 AM

150 posts, read 415,671 times
You might want to start your own thread with your question. People will be more apt to reply, especially regarding the specifics of your child. Plus the post you tagged onto is really old. Sorry I can't help with your Q - we live on maui.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,109 times
Quote:
Paradise is an illusion. The island is full of danger from the ice heads that live on the beaches, who steal and rob people, to the dangerous environment. THe damns on Hawaii are made out of mud, and have been deemed very unsafe by the Army Corp of Engineers. One of them broke once and killed a bunch of people, just swept homes away off their foundation. You don't want to live in the wake of one of these dams.

People steel your stuff on the beech, break into your property and steel. It is not safe to camp on the beaches.

There are many dangers related to some of the hiking trails and beaches. THere have been people who have gone hiking never to be found. Very unsafe trails above the Napali Coast.

People are swept out to sea just walking on the edge of the beach.

Kuai is beautiful, but living in a paradise it is not. You must be very rich to live there, and your are very isolated there. If you spend $500,000 you can purchase a tiny little house. If I was going to live there I would probably want to have a secure 5 million in the bank, or you can just live in a beautiful part of the USA, have a great house, and in a safe environment!

It can get old living on an island. These are all things to consider. Do your research 1st. Maybe its really not that great. Personally, I think it would be better just to visit occassionally , and not live there.
wake up. Kauai is paradise, no doubt about that. If you want to argue with that, at least learn how to spell "Kauai".
Ice heads are all around, even on the mainland. Its not fair that you target Kauai and the residents who reside on the beach by labeling them "ice heads". Everyone has a story. Maybe if you actually took a few minuets out of your day and talk to the people on the beach, you would get a better understanding of why they stay on the beach. The very first person I met was living in the woods behind my house. Homeless, 1 armed man. Nice as ever, and he does not drink or smoke. He lives his life and makes the best of it, and is still smiling every time I see him. However, if you come to the island galavanting around, acting like you own the place because you have a ton of money, yea, you could become a target, just as you would anywhere else. Learn to not gloat. Learn some aloha. Learn the culture. Snobby people suck. And as for the people who spend millions on a home here, and are only here maybe a week out of the year, dont think because you own property here you are entitled to respect from everyone. You have to earn your respect. I grew up in Chicago and moved here about a year ago, and I gotta say, after living almost everywhere, this was the best place I have ever been. The energy and good vibes are amazing. The people are incredible. If you are not materialistic, this is a good place for you.

It is totally safe to camp on the beaches. If you bring your laptop and your 800 dollar camera and leave it, its possible it will get stolen, but again, thats EVERYWHERE. Why would you bring that kind of stuff to the beach? Leave your wallet and valuables at home. DUH.

The trail you are referring to on the Napali coast is the Kalalau trail. It is a very hard hike, and if you do the whole 11 miles in one day, congrats to you. There have been people who fell off the cliff, or tried to swim in the ocean and didnt read the sign before entering the beach. DO NOT SWIM IN OCEAN, CURRANT CAN SWEEP YOU OUT TO SEA!! if you are dumb enough to go in anyway, well you take that risk. Others I know go to the kalalau every day, and sometimes they camp out. Some people have been living on the trail for over 20 years. You are very lucky to talk to any of these people, they are all so amazing. You can learn quite a lot from them.

You are only isolated if you have a crappy attitude. The island can be 2 things. Really good to you, or very bad. FYI, Hawaii is part of the USA.

In closing, Kauai is an incredible place. If you prize material possessions and run around acting like you are better than everyone, this is not the place for you.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:03 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
As the above posters said there is problems everywhere and if you learned to deal with some along with some people are going to be friendly and some are going to be total dick heads about things they are every where in this world ..

The poster gives you some of the best advice about liveing there and getting along with the people ..When the Tsunami hit i started calling people i know and they where ok and do you need anything and everyone i talked to where ok and they did not need anything ..

Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM

25 posts, read 48,345 times
There are always those who will Blame others for their situation. I lived in Honolulu seveveral years but money was to tight. So I moved back to the mainland rather than become a burden. I however never let my love for the islands fade. If I did find myself in a situation ie millions i would without a moment of hesitation move my ass back to the islands and Kauai would be my first choice. I would not do this as some kind of slander to those who have not as god knows i have been there. But even so I Harbor no ill feelings to those who can afford to live my dream.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times
And, another zombie thread miraculously comes back to life courtesy of a first time poster!

Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
And, another zombie thread miraculously comes back to life courtesy of a first time poster!
It reminds me, we've had members here in the past who wrung a lot of information out of us, and then were never heard of again.

Ah, me. I do wish them well, wherever they landed.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
I am confused. Are newbies not supposed to post on old threads? If so, why are they not simply locked after a certain amount of time? When I first got here I would see many people posting on older topics and everyone at that time, seemed much nicer and simply replied if they felt they had anything to add to the topic. Did something change that I missed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai