Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,984 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a move to Kauai in mid-November. We know the challenges and the obstacles we'll have to overcome once we get there due to the current economical situation. So, naturally we have our apprehensions.

We have both worked in the bar/restaurant industry for 10 years and would like to continue doing so. What is the probability that we'll be able to find jobs on Kauai? I've looked on craigslist, but it's hard to forecast what the job/housing market will look like during the low season, when we arrive.

We're simple people who don't need to live large to be happy, so we're looking for modest housing for under $1000 a month. We will be bringing our small dog, which I already know limits our options.

I guess I'm just looking for the honest truth about how feasible this will be for us. I am open to any insight or suggestions! Thanks! Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 12:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
kauaiworld/

Local newspaper. Not much in the way of jobs, of any type.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,612 times
Go online and sign up/send your resumes at all existing Kauai hotels, and food establishments that serve alcohol. My daughter just moved back home, also a bartender, and was advised to go online, as well as online job listings on craigslist. Jobs on Kaua'i are not plentiful at this time, but with persistance, you will find a job here. Hawaii's cost of living is high! So make sure you are fully prepared to live here. Contact realtors for housing. Save lots of $$ prior to coming here! A car would help, but we have public buses, just in case. The only problem is, the buses stop their runs by 7pm. And if you can set up job interviews prior to the move, that might help in giving u both a head start!

Old 09-30-2010, 04:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,612 times
Smile To the bartender/waitress couple who want to move to Kauai

Hi again! For what you could rent in the mainland for a $1000.. could be the total opposite here on the island. Here,One bedroom studios could go for that cost. And the studios are not that fabulous! Most rentals in the local ads will say, no pets/non smoker. To me, that makes it harder for people like you and I (cause I have 3 dogs) to find a rental. But, recently on craigs list I seen a realtor company that stated' "bow wow friendly". Check that out!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:23 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
Economy wise Kauai has been the hardest hit of all the main island. Tourism is still down considerably and not expected to recover for a few years. If I was you I would seriously reconsider moving to Kauai but if you do make sure you have the savings to survive and return home if needed.

PS: I live on Kauai

Old 10-01-2010, 02:16 AM

3 posts, read 9,688 times
I work in the industry as well and let's face it, anyone who does know jobs are a DIME A DOZEN!!! There may not be one today, but tomorrow is a new day! However, living on Maui in a place for $1000 a month is going to be HARD TO DO!!!! I have been researching moving there for 4 YEARS and the BI is definitely your CHEAPEST bet! However, if you go to Hilton websites or other such hotels you can find jobs to apply to on different islands. Also Shell Vacations Club: Timeshares, Vacation Ownership, Resorts, Family Vacation Clubs: Hawaii, California, Oregon, Wisconsin, Las Vegas, Arizona, Mexico is another place where there are jobs unlisted in the service industry. GOOD LUCK!!!!! Hope to move there SOON ourselves!!!! =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai