Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG67 View Post
My partner and I live in Atlanta where we are in the process of adopting a baby and our family in Kentucky would like us to move closer to them once the baby arrives. They live in London. We want to live in the country just outside a metro area. Where would we find the most acceptance, Lexington, Louisville, or Knoxville?
Lexington can't be TOO unaccepting, they just elected an openly gay mayor!

Gay Politics — BREAKING: Lexington, Kentucky elects openly gay mayor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
css, don't think all Kentuckians are like that. Please!
Don't worry, kygman. It would be foolish for anyone to draw broad conclusions about the people of a state, based on the responses on a single forum thread (though this one is somewhat alarming! )

Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Lexington can't be TOO unaccepting, they just elected an openly gay mayor!

Gay Politics — BREAKING: Lexington, Kentucky elects openly gay mayor
If someone is gay, it doesn't effect my voting for them. If I feel they are right for the job I will vote for them gay or straight. Who cares?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
If someone is gay, it doesn't effect my voting for them. If I feel they are right for the job I will vote for them gay or straight. Who cares?
Plenty of people, unfortunately. But I salute you

Old 11-05-2010, 12:37 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleymaple View Post
Just because you have so called citizenship, does not make you an American.
Seriously? Since when? I kind of thought that was the definition. If you earn citizenship, you are as American as apple pie IMO. I don't care what country you were born in, what color your skin is, what religion you practice... Isn't that kind of the whole foundation of the concept of the USA?

Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Seriously? Since when? I kind of thought that was the definition. If you earn citizenship, you are as American as apple pie IMO. I don't care what country you were born in, what color your skin is, what religion you practice... Isn't that kind of the whole foundation of the concept of the USA?
Yes, but good luck explaining that to people like them. It's a lost cause, so just don't bother because those types of arguments are likely coming from someone who is uneducated, has never left their little hole & stepped outside into the real world, and doesn't even realize that they themselves aren't but a couple generations from immigrants as well. I guess they think their family just appeared outta thin air.

Opinions matter, but not ones coming from the ignorant. But this is the internet, so every dummy has got to have their say.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:44 PM

9 posts, read 26,146 times
Wow………… I'm the guy who wrote the original post. In that post, I asked where my partner, myself, and our child would find acceptance in Kentucky. Our family/parents want us closer to home, London KY. I've known that the social climate of Kentucky is extremely polarized. There are some incredible people there with the most hospitable charm. My entire family loves the Appalachian culture and its history. (Most of them where born and raised in a remote howler.) They rose above the social norms there and have developed more liberal perspectives. We are all in love with the outdoors and have had wonderful times exploring and hunting in Kentucky. It is a beautiful state. Next to Alaska, it is my favorite. Although, unlike Alaska, it seems that many of the people who live in KY do not appreciate it. Unfortunately, after much discussion we realize that the extremists that live throughout the state would make it unsafe physically and emotionally for our children. It is really a shame! I guess I was hoping for a more positive response to my post, encouraging us to be closer to our family. I know now I was not being realistic. It will not be easy for this modern family to find a safe rural setting.
Any positive suggestions let me know.
Happy New Year!

Old 01-03-2011, 02:05 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG67 View Post
Wow………… I'm the guy who wrote the original post. In that post, I asked where my partner, myself, and our child would find acceptance in Kentucky. Our family/parents want us closer to home, London KY. I've known that the social climate of Kentucky is extremely polarized. There are some incredible people there with the most hospitable charm. My entire family loves the Appalachian culture and its history. (Most of them where born and raised in a remote howler.) They rose above the social norms there and have developed more liberal perspectives. We are all in love with the outdoors and have had wonderful times exploring and hunting in Kentucky. It is a beautiful state. Next to Alaska, it is my favorite. Although, unlike Alaska, it seems that many of the people who live in KY do not appreciate it. Unfortunately, after much discussion we realize that the extremists that live throughout the state would make it unsafe physically and emotionally for our children. It is really a shame! I guess I was hoping for a more positive response to my post, encouraging us to be closer to our family. I know now I was not being realistic. It will not be easy for this modern family to find a safe rural setting.
Any positive suggestions let me know.
Happy New Year!
I'm sorry to hear of your decision but I can certainly understand it.

To some Kentuckians on this thread, having gays in your state isn't the end of the world. I lived right next to the District of Columbia when they legalized gay marriage. I can assure you that God did not strike the whole district down when it happened. If God was really deadset on having no gay marriage period we'd be minus a few states by now.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 AM

169 posts, read 373,164 times
I'll say it again, Mike: sorry you have to live in a world filled with such intolerance. Good luck wherever you end up.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM

157 posts, read 475,276 times
Gay bashing...Christian bashing...Kentucky bashing... This whole thread is really sad.

I feel sorry for anyone who read through this looking for, you know, information.

This thread should have been shut long ago.

Sorry to the OP that people responded like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky