Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times

Advertisements

Halt the Deportation of All-American Dreamer Jennifer Abreu - Sign the Petition | Change.org

I don't know her personally, but all of our descendants came here to this country either looking for a better life and new opportunities, or under the fist of oppression.

Fight oppression, help ensure a future for this girl. There's no reason a committed CITIZEN whether legal or not, if she serves and loves her community and assimilates even, should not be able to seek the same prosperity our forefathers did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 04:42 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Halt the Deportation of All-American Dreamer Jennifer Abreu - Sign the Petition | Change.org

I don't know her personally, but all of our descendants came here to this country either looking for a better life and new opportunities, or under the fist of oppression.

Fight oppression, help ensure a future for this girl. There's no reason a committed CITIZEN whether legal or not, if she serves and loves her community and assimilates even, should not be able to seek the same prosperity our forefathers did.
Sorry I can't say I have sympathy. If you let her stay who else are you going to let stay?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:40 PM

50 posts, read 77,849 times
Honestly, if she came here legally on a student visa, she would not be in this situation. There are a lot of other countries in this world that are viewed as democratic that would not allow her to stay illegally either. She can apply for a student visa and hopefully return at a later date to finish her studies. I can't really cry for this girl when it was her parent's responsibility to bring her here legally and/or petition for her citizenship when she was a minor. It's not America's fault they screwed up. There are a lot of people in this country who are here legally or were born here that have difficulty remaining in school, who don't have the support this girl has from complete strangers. If she's really set on being here, she'll find a way to do it correctly. maybe one of her petitioners can sponsor her.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:58 PM

298 posts, read 596,171 times
Sorry...but, the key word is ILLEGAL...what other laws are we going to over look?

She is probably a good person, I don't doubt that. She is going to school and trying to make something for herself. What should be done is, do what ever is necessary to make her LEGAL. Another good question or two...how long has she been here and why was she here illegally to begin with? The US has ways to come to this country legally. I don't think most of us don't want ANYONE to come to this country period. Like I said before ILLEGAL.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Jennifer's parents have to bear the responsibility that they knowingly broke the law, and never did the required paperwork for being a legal citizen. Jennifer does not have any standing or rights in the United States, she is not a citizen here. It does not matter what age she came here.

Brazil is a nice country, with a good economy, and she can attend college there. She is a Brazillian citizen. And will be a credit to her country. She can fulfill her goals in Brazil. I have been to Brazil, it is a nice place, not a third world hell hole. Best wishes to Jennifer on achieving success in her own country. She is welcome to apply for legal citzenship from Brazil, and do the correct, lawful process to become a citizen of the United States, if she wishes.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:21 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
For every illegal, there is another person fighting to come in this country legally. Send her home, and bring in someone who wants to do it right...

Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Looks like a thread full of people who have never tried to legally immigrate to America as my family did.

Y'know why people don't "do it right"?

Old 11-24-2010, 02:18 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Looks like a thread full of people who have never tried to legally immigrate to America as my family did.

Y'know why people don't "do it right"?
I personally know a lot of legal immigrants from my time in Northern VA. I know it is truly a to legally come into the US. That's why I'm very much against illegal immigration because it is completely unfair to those who waited in line and paid up their nose to get here.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
What everyone else has said. If you want to be here legally, then do it. Yes, it's a lot of work- but then so was leaving everything you owned back in your home country, crossing the ocean in a stinking ship when hygiene wasn't even a thought, eating what you could to survive and then stepping onto Ellis Island to speak with someone who didn't know your language, often changed your name for the inspector's pronounciation needs and were finally recorded and become legal.

Yep. A true PITA now compared to then.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:37 AM

50 posts, read 77,849 times
I'm going to have to agree with RamblinRoseRanch. Waiting long periods of time while still maintaining your health and supporting your family is nothing compared to the conditions people faced a century ago. I had family that came here through Ellis Island, and I have family that emigrated here legally in the 1960's. To give illegal aliens a free pass (not counting cases of religious/political/genital mutilation asylum) is pretty much a slap in the face to those who came here and did it right. Try this illegal alien petition in any other country and see what kind of opposition you face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky