Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 AM

12 posts, read 47,586 times

Advertisements

I have some questions for those living in Oldham KY or near it.

It looks like they have the best school systems. Can I trust these scores? Are they really the best schools around?

I see that there is a correctional facility in La Grange. How much does that affect life in Oldham County?

Is crime higher because of the facility?

The county appears not to be racially diverse. Would biracial children have a problem in this area?

Can anyone tell me about the Artisan Park subdivision. I can not seem to find much info on it. If you buy there does the company keep up all that green space or are homeowners expected to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 02:57 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
Quote:
It looks like they have the best school systems. Can I trust these scores? Are they really the best schools around?
I think so. Their school system has a solid reputation and I've never heard anyone say it's overrated.

Quote:
I see that there is a correctional facility in La Grange. How much does that affect life in Oldham County?
Not at all.

Quote:
No. At least, not so you would notice it. Infinitesimal at most.

Quote:
The county appears not to be racially diverse. Would biracial children have a problem in this area?
No. They are relatively progressive, in part due to their close proximity to Louisville. I guess I shouldn't say no, but rather, no more than anywhere else. But I really don't think that will be an issue at all.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me about the Artisan Park subdivision. I can not seem to find much info on it. If you buy there does the company keep up all that green space or are homeowners expected to?
Don't know about that one, sorry.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:53 AM

39 posts, read 150,536 times
Hi Tricia, I have lived in Oldham County my whole life so I would be glad to answer any questions you have! The school systems are considered to be some of the best around, they have won many awards in recognition of this. As for the prison, I live about a mile down the road from it and I hardly notice it. It is a big structure don't get me wrong, but it has never been an issue with me. I would say that the crime rate here is not influenced at all by the fact that the prison is here, but you can call the local police department and they can give you crime statistics. I can tell you that I have always felt safe here and crime is not noticeable.
I do not believe that bi racial children would have a problem here at all, I believe that they would be welcomed just the same as any child would. We are a pretty diverse county, and I personally don't feel as though one would be looked at differently here because of the color of their skin.
As for Artisan park I live less than a mile from that subdivision, it is a very nice development. You can visit their website at www.jordanriverdevelopment.com
Home prices range from $299,000 and up, There is a Home Owners Association fee that is most likely paid yearly and that I am sure goes towards the upkeep of the open space. If you like Artisan Park you may also like their other development called Celebration Park that is also located in Oldham County and in the same price range of homes as those in Artisan Park. Celebration park is located just outside of Crestwood and less than one mile from I-71, so it really depends on which area you like best LaGrange or Crestwood. Living in Crestwood would put you closer to Louisville but still give you Oldham County schools, so it really just depends on your preference. If I can help you further or if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:06 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips View Post
Hi Tricia, I have lived in Oldham County my whole life so I would be glad to answer any questions you have! The school systems are considered to be some of the best around, they have won many awards in recognition of this. As for the prison, I live about a mile down the road from it and I hardly notice it. It is a big structure don't get me wrong, but it has never been an issue with me. I would say that the crime rate here is not influenced at all by the fact that the prison is here, but you can call the local police department and they can give you crime statistics. I can tell you that I have always felt safe here and crime is not noticeable.
I do not believe that bi racial children would have a problem here at all, I believe that they would be welcomed just the same as any child would. We are a pretty diverse county, and I personally don't feel as though one would be looked at differently here because of the color of their skin.
As for Artisan park I live less than a mile from that subdivision, it is a very nice development. You can visit their website at www.jordanriverdevelopment.com
Home prices range from $299,000 and up, There is a Home Owners Association fee that is most likely paid yearly and that I am sure goes towards the upkeep of the open space. If you like Artisan Park you may also like their other development called Celebration Park that is also located in Oldham County and in the same price range of homes as those in Artisan Park. Celebration park is located just outside of Crestwood and less than one mile from I-71, so it really depends on which area you like best LaGrange or Crestwood. Living in Crestwood would put you closer to Louisville but still give you Oldham County schools, so it really just depends on your preference. If I can help you further or if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help!
In addition, if I am not mistaken, Jordan River is planning a lifestlye and power center development (similar to Louisville's Summit) in the Buckner vicinity. Do any Oldham folks know anything about this?

Old 06-30-2007, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 21,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia911 View Post

According to Sperling's Best Places, crime is significantly higher in La Grange than surrounding areas. Violent crime is a 6 out of 10 - higher being worse. Louisville itself is a 7. Other Oldham County towns like Crestwood and Goshen are a 1 out of 10 (the safest). The US average is a 3.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:43 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
I am an Oldham County resident, Realtor-Auctioneer, etc. Oldham County is very real, but not perfect. We have our political disagreements and social shortcomings, but those imperfections are what make this such a wonderful county to live in as they keep the place from being boring.

We generally are very happy people.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips-Bong View Post
According to Sperling's Best Places, crime is significantly higher in La Grange than surrounding areas. Violent crime is a 6 out of 10 - higher being worse. Louisville itself is a 7. Other Oldham County towns like Crestwood and Goshen are a 1 out of 10 (the safest). The US average is a 3.
Could you provide a link to the source and methodology? I am not sure Sperling is the most reliable measure of crime. La Grange is far from a 6 out of 10 on a crime scale of any sort. Anyone interested in crime facts needs to check the FBI sources I have linked before.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:24 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
We are retiring to KY next year and in May of this year I spent about an hour in Artisan Park. First, I did not like the entrance to the subdivision - to go in and out of the development, you have to pass an industrial strip mall that is not particularly attractive - and it is not very close to anything..not much development if any in the area - at least not close enough for us. The houses are fairly close together and I didn't like the way many of the houses were situated on their lots - steeply graded. I wasn't thrilled by most of the floor plans - Norton Commons is much nicer (the houses are beautifully arranged inside and out, but then it is more expensive as well). This is just my opinion - but we found that Artisan Park was not for us.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:46 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Wow, there are so many great places to live in Oldham County. Sit down at your kitchen table with a piece of paper and write down what you want in a home. Don't worry about what you want most, just brainstorm. Then go back and catagorize into "got to have" "want to have" "could have" and "just pure luxury". Then without putting a price value on that list, ask a professional realtor to use your criteria to find you the home you really want. It just might surprise you that it's truly available well within your budget. Oldham County has hundreds of homes on the market right now.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:11 AM

39 posts, read 150,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips-Bong View Post
This is most definitely not true. The numbers may be off due to the fact that the correctional facility is here, so yes a large number of criminals live in LaGrange, but they are behind bars. I would never have rated LaGrange a 6 out of 10 on a crime scale that is unbelievable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky