Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:29 PM

23 posts, read 89,977 times

Advertisements

I lived in owensboro about five years ago and then moved to alabama for work. I have to agree with both sides of this issue. Owensboro is full of friendly people and the town offers little in the terms of visitors to see. It is a very industrial town and lacks a lot of modernization but some there see that as part of its appeal. I have eaten at old hickory and highly recommend it. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,089 times
Hi,

I am preparing to move my family to Owensboro for a job at the hospital. I am a hospital adminstrator by trade and have been offered a great opportunity. So, off we go...

That being said. A city is what you make of it and Owenboro has some great things to offer: if you enjoy music, Fridays After Five is pretty fun down on the river. There is a drive-in movie theater up the highway toward Rio. A commission has been formed to bring a baseball team to town--progressive, foward-thinking. Hopefully, more will come...

As far as hotels go, there are national chains available.

Hey gotide4, ROLL TIDE!!! Class of '99.

Take care.
AH

Old 07-23-2007, 06:11 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,816 times
I was in Owensboro this weekend, and friends of mine stayed at the Executive Inn....they thought it was very nice, and from what I saw it looked fine. My friend said the people there were the friendliest and nicest folks she'd dealt with in a long time, and she is very fussy about hotels, LOL...I wasn't there long enough to discover what there is or isn't in terms of entertainment, but thought it seemed like a nice, quiet small city.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:15 PM

23 posts, read 89,977 times
hello fellow crimson tide grad...i'm from 98. good luck with the new job. It is what you make of it...I just didn't like the industrial feel to the town and was tired of having to drive an hour for a decent mall or resteraunt. Good luck with everything and roll tide

Old 08-18-2007, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,954 times
Default Owensboro isn't so bad after all

I am currently in Atlanta, Georgia, AND have lived in Dayton, Ohio, so I can relate to some of the prior replies here...

HOWEVER, I have also lived in Owensboro twice before, and believe it or not, am in the processs of relocating BACK to Owensboro AGAIN in September by choice! Having lived all over the US, I cannot think of a better place to be. Yes, it's slow and economically a bit below other metro areas, but there is a very endemic charm to this little city that is very hard to describe. Kind of a poor man's "Happy Days," I suppose. You do have to keep a very open mind, and be accepting to a very old-fashioned Southern/Midwestern mindset, but there is a gem here that one can really feel.

No interstate, no big thrills, but charming, warm, clean and decent - qualities I can't say about any other place I've ever lived in. If you look, this town remains a quiet little gem. Great place to live in - and anything in the big city you can't find here is just a beautiful, rambling 25 minute drive to Evansville. It takes me that long just to get halfway to anything I want here in Atlanta!

Guess it takes a bit of travel to really appreciate all that Owensboro has to offer, but there isn't a city in this country I would rate any higher, and it's a shame to not look deeper into this beauty! It IS easy to see the flaws here, but there are some terribly ugly parts of the Atlanta metro, too, physically, culturally, economically - and mile for mile, give me Owensboro any time!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 28,550 times
georgia cop....to each there own. I am in owensboro quite a lot actually visiting in laws and it is like pulling a band aid off slowly every time I go. I really enjoy the people...they are very kind and nice. My problem is in no way with them. My problem is for being the third biggest city in kentucky it is way behind the times and run down. The city comes off very blue collar due to the unlimited number of factories and plants all over the place..(not very nice to look at.). I compare Owensboro to other river towns in kentucky and it falls severly short of them all. Northern kentucky has tons to offer on the river (newport on the levee) just to name one...Louisville has a wonderful waterfront and tons of parks. Owensboro has the art center next to the bridge and the E and that's it. You said Evansville is twenty five minutes away....try doubling that and you are right unless you drive 200 mph. So not having things in that town such as nice resteraunts, culture, malls, are more than a jaunt across the street...you have to go to evansville or louisville. I sound harsh about this but it has so much potential. The people there just seem to not care about keeping up or revitalizing the town. It may have been a hotbed at one point but I feel it is aged just like the E. Wonderful once but in desperate need of an update. And I can talk educatedly on this subject...I am an airline pilot and have been to more places in this country and others than I could possibly list so I have plenty to compare it to. The people are great but it is a town forgotten about and for good reason in my mind. It's out of the way; you can't get there easily at all, and the only thing to do there is to hunt or fish or do what the high school kids there do because they are so bored and cruise. (drive around walmart and rev your engine).

Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,773 times
Question Will I fit in?

georgiacop, I will be moving down to Owensboro with my boyfriend in 2 years. I now live in Wisconsin. I am a small town girl. The town I live in now probably has about 1,000 people. But I have lived in Eau Claire which had 67,000. But I like the smaller towns. I'm used to the country setting where I can go mudding and do lots of other "country girl" things. The reason I'm moving to Owensboro is to be with my boyfriend. He is from Owensboro originally and is like me in the "small town" aspects but he knows what it's like there. I've read what you had to say about Owensboro...but my question for you is...do you think someone like me would like it there and what does the town have to offer me? I'm going to school for Early Childhood Education. Is this a career field worth sticking with if I move to Owensboro? I'm just a little scared that I won't fit in or be successful. And what is the weather like typically? Anything else you can tell me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiacop View Post
I am currently in Atlanta, Georgia, AND have lived in Dayton, Ohio, so I can relate to some of the prior replies here...

HOWEVER, I have also lived in Owensboro twice before, and believe it or not, am in the processs of relocating BACK to Owensboro AGAIN in September by choice! Having lived all over the US, I cannot think of a better place to be. Yes, it's slow and economically a bit below other metro areas, but there is a very endemic charm to this little city that is very hard to describe. Kind of a poor man's "Happy Days," I suppose. You do have to keep a very open mind, and be accepting to a very old-fashioned Southern/Midwestern mindset, but there is a gem here that one can really feel.

No interstate, no big thrills, but charming, warm, clean and decent - qualities I can't say about any other place I've ever lived in. If you look, this town remains a quiet little gem. Great place to live in - and anything in the big city you can't find here is just a beautiful, rambling 25 minute drive to Evansville. It takes me that long just to get halfway to anything I want here in Atlanta!

Guess it takes a bit of travel to really appreciate all that Owensboro has to offer, but there isn't a city in this country I would rate any higher, and it's a shame to not look deeper into this beauty! It IS easy to see the flaws here, but there are some terribly ugly parts of the Atlanta metro, too, physically, culturally, economically - and mile for mile, give me Owensboro any time!

Last edited by s_r_smith83; 08-29-2007 at 03:55 AM..

Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 PM

14 posts, read 59,755 times
Default New homes

So are there new homes and developments in Owensboro? If not, where? And how far a drive to Owensboro?

Also, what are the hot jobs in Owensboro? What type of training would maximize my chances of finding a job in Owensboro?

Old 10-13-2007, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 13,368 times
Default lived here forever

I've lived in one of the outside towns right outside of owensboro for all 20 years of my life. I actually love this town and decided that once I'm finished with college, I do plan to move back. I like the non-crime atmosphere and although the food is.... blah. Like earlier was said, nikos and american bounty are great restaurants. I personally love both of them, although they are slightly pricey. If I do need to shop, I usually do go to evansville, but sometimes owensboro has something to offer. I like the fact that it's a college town, without the crazy bowling green atmosphere. It's quiet and it's very sports oriented. All over owensboro you'll see signs claiming that we're the number 1 sports town in kentucky. Like you said earlier, there isn't much to do, I don't "cruise" anymore, but i've never had a problem with getting into trouble either. And one thing that I do advise that you check out, are DEFINITELY the catholic church picnics. I recently became catholic and that's probably one of my favorite things to do in the summer. They have so much to offer and the food is phenomenal. If you ever attend the barbeque festival, that's one of the biggest celebrations down on the river, is the catholic church cookoffs. I personally, like the conservative atmosphere, but if you're a big city type person, owensboro is not the place to be.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:33 PM

3 posts, read 13,368 times
s-r-smith83, if you're going into early childhood education, we have a million and one elementary schools. if you don't want an owensboro elementary school, they're also all over the place right outside of owensboro. in utica for example, which is about 7 minutes away, they're building a new elementary school right now. I'm from owensboro and I've lived in utica my entire life, you shouldn't have a problem finding a job here if you're in that field. that's the field i started out in and i planned to stay here because i knew i wouldn't have a problem finding a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky