Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,842 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother to an amazing 4 1/2 year old daughter and we currently live in Louisville, KY (the Fern Creek/Highview area) but I would really like to live in a small town somewhere in Kentucky. I really want that small town life for my daughter and myself, I think it would really suit us well. It has been my dream for a long time and when I watch shows like Gilmore Girls or movies like Runaway Bride or Sweet Home Alabama it makes me want that small town life even more. Now, I am realistic and I know that those are just TV and movies so there are no small towns exactly like, say, the one in Gilmore Girls but I know that there has to be some great small towns out there.

I do have two important guidelines for what I am looking for:

- It needs to be no more than 40-45 mins from Louisville, KY because that is where our family lives and I still want my daughter and I to be close to them.

- Also, it needs to have good schools for my daughter.

I would prefer to work and live in the town. I would love a place where I could walk many places but I do not mind driving some either. I am open to different types of jobs. I have an AAS in Business Management and currently work as an Administrative Assistant but I do not mind switching to something else as long as it pays well enough to where I can take care of my daughter and myself.

Some other things are that I would like to live in a town where the people take pride in their town, they care about the town, and they care about the people in the town, a place where the town as a whole is like one big family.

I know that I very well may be dreaming but who knows maybe there is some place out there that will come close and be great for us. So if anyone can help me at all please do. Please give me any suggestions or info about small towns you might know of or even might live in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownDream View Post
I am a single mother to an amazing 4 1/2 year old daughter and we currently live in Louisville, KY (the Fern Creek/Highview area) but I would really like to live in a small town somewhere in Kentucky. I really want that small town life for my daughter and myself, I think it would really suit us well. It has been my dream for a long time and when I watch shows like Gilmore Girls or movies like Runaway Bride or Sweet Home Alabama it makes me want that small town life even more. Now, I am realistic and I know that those are just TV and movies so there are no small towns exactly like, say, the one in Gilmore Girls but I know that there has to be some great small towns out there.

- It needs to be no more than 40-45 mins from Louisville, KY because that is where our family lives and I still want my daughter and I to be close to them.

I would prefer to work and live in the town. I would love a place where I could walk many places but I do not mind driving some either. I am open to different types of jobs. I have an AAS in Business Management and currently work as an Administrative Assistant but I do not mind switching to something else as long as it pays well enough to where I can take care of my daughter and myself.

Some other things are that I would like to live in a town where the people take pride in their town, they care about the town, and they care about the people in the town, a place where the town as a whole is like one big family.

I know that I very well may be dreaming but who knows maybe there is some place out there that will come close and be great for us. So if anyone can help me at all please do. Please give me any suggestions or info about small towns you might know of or even might live in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
None better than LaGrange. Best public schools in the state, good job opportunities with several small to medium sized businesses, safe, good housing, and lots of walk to's

Old 06-28-2011, 06:15 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownDream View Post

Thank you!
You may want to look at Elizabethtown.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:40 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
Another vote for LaGrange. Take a look at a subdivision called Crystal Lake. A nice subdivision with good size yards around a small lake. Lots of house for sale or rent, like most places.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 AM

163 posts, read 428,445 times
Bardstown or Bloomfield might also work for you.

City of Bardstown - Bardstown, Kentucky

The City of Bloomfield, Kentucky

Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,842 times
Thank you all so much for your advice! My daughter and I visited Bardstown a few weekends ago and we liked it but I am not sure about it. I think I will need to check out LaGrange I have heard some good things about it plus the good schools are a huge draw for me. I plan on visiting places several times before I decided because I want to get a feel of how the town and the people in the town are.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Peter1948; 07-01-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 06:55 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
I think you will really like the "small town" feel of Oldham County. And it is very near the amenities in eastern Jefferson County and even downtown Louisville. And the public school system is second to none.

I am not a fan of Bullitt County. But I just drove through Mt. Washington for the first time in years and I was stunned at how nice it was. (At least, the business district at Bardstown Road and State Highway 44.) It seems like the entire town is brand new.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
You realize this is still in the Louisville Metro area, right? La Grange is inextricably linked to Louisville yet is far enough to have some of that small town charm. There is no where else to look but there for your needs IMO. That said, you may also check into New Albany or Floyds Knobs, or even Georgetown, IN. They are all must closer to downtown and have a few more "local amenities" without having to drive into Louisville for everything.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:31 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,037 times
Midway! Meets all your criteria. Besides a few businesses, there's Midway College there which might provide a job opportunity for you! Check that out!!

Old 07-02-2011, 08:49 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
While charming, Midway is considerably more than 45 minutes from Louisville...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky