Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

Sprint Cup: Big-deal race | Editorial | Kentucky.com

Economic impact of $201.5 million from the World Equestrian Games and now a predicted economic impact of $150 million from this weekend's NASCAR races in Sparta. That can only be great news for our state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Sprint Cup: Big-deal race | Editorial | Kentucky.com

Economic impact of $201.5 million from the World Equestrian Games and now a predicted economic impact of $150 million from this weekend's NASCAR races in Sparta. That can only be great news for our state.
I'm going to the race tomorrow b/c somebody bought tickets for me and I can't get out of it.

Maybe I'll have a better time than I'm anticipating, but it seems so "Bubba rednecky" and boring to sit there and watch 40 damn cars go around the same damn track 400+ damn times.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'm going to the race tomorrow b/c somebody bought tickets for me and I can't get out of it.

Maybe I'll have a better time than I'm anticipating, but it seems so "Bubba rednecky" and boring to sit there and watch 40 damn cars go around the same damn track 400+ damn times.

I wish I say I envied you. The race will be awesome, especially if it's your first race. Leaving the parking lot afterwards...HAHAHAHA!!! Good luck!!! I remember going to the Busch Series race there back in 2005. There were "only" 50,000 fans there and it literally took FOUR, yes, 4 hours to get out of the parking lot. You are in for a real treat afterwards. I hope you are very patient and have a full tank of gas upon entering the speedway grounds.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
I wish I say I envied you. The race will be awesome, especially if it's your first race. Leaving the parking lot afterwards...HAHAHAHA!!! Good luck!!! I remember going to the Busch Series race there back in 2005. There were "only" 50,000 fans there and it literally took FOUR, yes, 4 hours to get out of the parking lot. You are in for a real treat afterwards. I hope you are very patient and have a full tank of gas upon entering the speedway grounds.
I thank God for HDTV.

My first live major event was a Redskins/Cowboys game at FedEx Field (hate both but got free tickets). That turned me off of attending sporting events. We left in the middle of the 4th quarter and we had to walk a mile to the train station from the stadium and the hillbilly Cowboys fans fought with the ghetto Redskins fans all the way to the station, had to wait in a jam packed station to get on a second jampacked train.

The only live sporting event I would ever go to would be Carolina Panthers game. Why deal with all that foolishness when you can invite your closest boys over to your spot, drink all the cheap beer you want and have A/C and a clean restroom closeby?

This is a pretty good weekend for KY. Taking in all that money and maybe even encourage some tourism in Louisville and NKY.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:25 AM

I agree. The only sporting events I attend now are hockey and college basketball. Much more manageable crowd sizes.

Anyway, can we use some of that new money coming in to pave 641 in Murray? Please???

Old 07-09-2011, 07:47 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
The best part is that the forecast calls for very hot (97) and humid. Those seats have no shade.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:59 AM

671 posts, read 1,119,023 times
earplugs and a hat and take sunscreen with you. And water, you need water along with the beer.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:20 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Hope you weren't one of the 20,000 stuck in traffic on I-71 due to the traffic jam of everybody trying to get to the race. If that doesn't get a new road put in there I don't know what will! State should be working on putting more lanes in there pretty soon, I'd bet.
Traffic, track mar inaugural race at Kentucky - NASCAR - Yahoo! Sports

Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

Hoping you were caught in the big traffic jam and never made it in.

Wouldn't want you to run out of reasons to bash Kentucky

Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Hoping you were caught in the big traffic jam and never made it in.

Wouldn't want you to run out of reasons to bash Kentucky
Sorry to disappoint, but I did make it in well before the race. After, of course, sitting in hardly-not-moving traffic for four hours.

I understand that wait times are potentially long given the fact that K.S. is in a rural area with limited lanes. I also realize and also thank the KY State Police for doing an outstanding job considering how few staff and resources they had there.

The traffic control, however, was a complete and total nightmare. It took four hours just for us to get parked, and we finally made a space for ourselves on the side of a road and walked a mile to the track. I'm actually writing to the KY Transportation Cabinet and outlining some of my personal suggestions for improving traffic flow, although (AGAIN) I realize it can't be perfect at a race like that.

I also attended Thunder Over Louisville in 2004 and saw firsthand that Kentucky is quite idiotic at large-scale traffic control. The Quaker State 400 yesterday was another such example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky