Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:07 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Like which problems? You're kidding. The Kentuckians don't even mention problems. Because there are no problems!

Here's general info for every Kentuckian on how to reduce stress:
Please take a moment to care for yourself. Diaphragmatic Breathing: • Relaxation technique that can significantly reduce stress and anxiety • Practice 5 minutes each day • Teach your body to breathe from the abdomen to increase lung filling and breathing efficiency • Steps 1. Place one hand on your upper chest and one hand on your abdoment 2. Inhale through your nose and exhale throught your mouth.

You just show your ignorance more and more with each post. You must have a very lonely life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
Actually I do want to learn TM. I think you have to pay for a class. Wish me luck on finding a class. Maybe there's one at Murray State.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:25 PM

407 posts, read 1,264,036 times
You might like Prana Yoga better and you are more likely to find a course in Yoga than on TM. TM has been hashed and re-hashed so many times since the 60's that it is almost impossible to find anyone who actually practices it, in its purest form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Actually I do want to learn TM. I think you have to pay for a class. Wish me luck on finding a class. Maybe there's one at Murray State.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
You just show your ignorance more and more with each post. You must have a very lonely life!
Ignorance of what?
It sure would be easier if you didn't take the posts personally (unless you feel personally responsible for Kentucky's problems) and didn't respond personally.
I inserted a youtube report about cancer in Kentucky. Any comments?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Ignorance of what?
It sure would be easier if you didn't take the posts personally (unless you feel personally responsible for Kentucky's problems) and didn't respond personally.
I inserted a youtube report about cancer in Kentucky. Any comments?

What am I supposed to comment on? We have the highest incidence of smoking in the country and have been slow in passing no smoking policies in public areas and such. This is historically a tobacco producing state so it has made anti-tobacco positions difficult. We just recently passed a smoke free ordinance in the city I live in and its the 3rd largest city in the state. It's a highly political issue.

State-Specific Prevalence of Current Cigarette Smoking Among Adults and Secondhand Smoke Rules and Policies in Homes and Workplaces --- United States, 2005

There is also a very karst topography in central KY which causes a huge problem with radon gas. There needs to be stricter radon tesing guidelines since it also causes cancer.

Along with the karst topography you have a lot of running groundwater combined with a highly agricultural area. Many rural areas still get drinking water from wells and springs and due to run off from pesticides it may contain carcinogens.

That is just a few of the contributors. These are not new issues to those of us who have worked in healthcare and other related fields in the state. We are well aware of the problems. Do you think a youtube report is some big revelation to the dire issues in KY? Cancer occurs in all states and it's not surprising it occurs in higher incidence due to lifestyle and evironmental factors.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:02 PM

" Cancer occurs in all states and it's not surprising it occurs in higher incidence due to lifestyle and evironmental factors."

You are spot on, Dixie Girl. Cancer is highly environmental and occurs in every state. I didn't get cancer while living in Kentucky. I got the infamous C while living in Maryland which according to a friend of ours who works for the EPA, is the most polluted State in the Union. Even my oncologist there says he has seen the cancer rates in Maryland increase in the last 10 years. Cancer causing toxins are also in the stuff we buy at the store that grocers like to pass off to us as real food.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beilart View Post
" Cancer occurs in all states and it's not surprising it occurs in higher incidence due to lifestyle and evironmental factors."

You are spot on, Dixie Girl. Cancer is highly environmental and occurs in every state. I didn't get cancer while living in Kentucky. I got the infamous C while living in Maryland which according to a friend of ours who works for the EPA, is the most polluted State in the Union. Even my oncologist there says he has seen the cancer rates in Maryland increase in the last 10 years. Cancer causing toxins are also in the stuff we buy at the store that grocers like to pass off to us as real food.

The environment has so much to do with it. It's a shame what has been allowed to happen in some areas where the cancer rates have skyrocketed due to pollution. I hope you are doing well now Beilart. Cancer is a horrible thing.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:26 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,656 times
Quote:
So now, because I am from KY I couldn't have ever travelled outside of the south...lol. How presumptuous of you. Culture comes in many forms and can be found in some form in most places. Unfortunately, so can snobbery. You might be surprised to find out what life experiences and backgrounds some of the posters here have had.
It's ok Dixie, me and the missus will hitch up the wagon and pick you and your younguns up. Thanks to smart fellers like Visivaldis and Eclectic, we can sample some of that fine living the liberals get to indulge on in good ole California. Maybe we can pick up Visivaldis as well, he's been stuck here in Kentucky for the last several years. If I get the gumption to, we'll drop him off in one of em big ole rich vineyards in California for some wine tasting. As for me and missus, we'll just settle on on our Boone's Farm wine.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,656 times
Quote:
KY ranks 37th in education, which still needs improving but is much better than in past years. Some of the worst states are not in the south by the way.

Speaking of low self-esteem, what is wrong with someone who is not even from KY and does not live here, spending their time on the KY site just to malign the state and it's people to make themselves feel superior? I would say some introspection into yourself might reveal a little something lacking in your own life. Work on fixing yourself and your problems that cause such behavior and then you can work on others.
Nah, live long enough, and you'll encounter people like this everyday. They b8tch and moan about their hometown, friends (or lack of), family, work, weather, politics, pets, money, religion, film, arts, food. You get my point. Anything that exists is fair game. It breaks like down this: **** poor complaints-99.99% of their life. Happiness and content-maybe 0.0001%. And I'm being generous.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
It's ok Dixie, me and the missus will hitch up the wagon and pick you and your younguns up. Thanks to smart fellers like Visivaldis and Eclectic, we can sample some of that fine living the liberals get to indulge on in good ole California. Maybe we can pick up Visivaldis as well, he's been stuck here in Kentucky for the last several years. If I get the gumption to, we'll drop him off in one of em big ole rich vineyards in California for some wine tasting. As for me and missus, we'll just settle on on our Boone's Farm wine.

Can I go, please? I'm a good liberal but I do love Boone's Farm. Remember Annie Green Springs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky